• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Kansas Folks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go to Talkingbear.com and look up on the index his list of upcoming shoots. You can pick and choose which Kansas shoots you would like to attend or not.

OH,

When I go that site all I get is a cartoon bear pic and not much else..

am I missing something obvious or just clumsy on the puter??

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Well so thought I would throw in an update. My wife and I moved over the summer. Found the place we were looking for. We had to go out a little more than I was originally hoping. We live west of Mankato now. Pretty close to the dead center of nowhere lol.
Anyways, ended up with a farmhouse that started life sometime in the 1800’s. The original dugout is still under the “ summer kitchen”. That room I believe was the original house. It has been added on to several times, 4 stages. The second phase of the house was “L” shaped. I don’t have any date information on that. The date documented times that I know of was a room added to turn the “L” into a box was 1918. The barn is early 1940’s. There is a one room schoolhouse that is in pretty good condition overall, needs a new roof. It is dated 1916.
We ended up with 20 acres. A pond and a creek. Small wood lot that I am adding some different trees into for diversity ( Hickory, Pawpaw, and Chinquapin ). I am excited to see if there is any Morel activity this spring. If not a will be “planting” them. The balance is pasture and pens.
The nearest house is a mile, and other than that it is 3 miles to the next. I am the only house on a minimum maintenance road. So space and peace is abundant.
God is good !

I'm familiar with that area as we lived just south of Superior NE along highway 14 for a time. I have family in Nebraska and often go through Burr Oak when going to visit.

This summer was unusually wet in Kansas and don't be surprised to see it hot and dry in the summer next year. Some suggestions, make friends with the neighbors and it will probably open up lots of hunting opportunities. Also, morels are common around some of the lakes in the area. Fishing is good in the local state and Corps of Engineer lakes and if you can find a spring fed farm pond to fish, better yet. Good luck with the farm and have fun.

If you're familiar with the area, I'm not giving you new information.

Thanks Jake. From what I have researched I think I will be good on the hickory and pawpaw. Too far north for Chinquipin I believe. I am hoping to find good morel spots this spring. Fishing shouldn’t be much of a problem. Besides the lakes I have several
Ponds that I have access to. I forgot to add that the family that I bought from owns the other 3/4 section and I have written hunting/fishing permission for all of it. Plus there are several pretty nice WIHA areas around.
If you go to Burr Oak up 128 from 36 you go just a 1/4 mile from it. We are south of Burr Oak about 5 miles.

I know several of you are from Kansas by your forum name and several of you I have had private messages from. It might be fun to share where you are from and a little other information as you see fit.

I have been shooting muzzleloaders for almost 45 years and started with a flint CVA rifle kit I built. It was a Jukar and I never shot it much as the frizzen was junk. I next built a CVA pistol kit also in flint and sold it a number of year later. My third rifle was a Thompson Center 50 Hawken kit that I still have. It has a low serial number K50XX.

I live in Manhattan and am active as an RSO at Fancy Creek Range, but am not active in any muzzleloading clubs.

Kansas Jake
This is cool ,I like how this brought people in the state out in respounce, would like Louisana to do it also. Laney

Really cool to read about the perfect place you and your wife have been hunting for...sincere congrats. I'm a former KS resident (over a decade in late 1980s into early 1990s) and love the KS countryside. My wife and I lived quite a distance almost due east of Jewell County in Douglas County. But we enjoyed our weekend sightseeing drives taken all directions throughout the state. To me, the property and home you purchased "in the dead center of nowhere" are something special. Being in rural KS, to me, is definitely somewhere!

We had a 1906 2-story estate house on a double lot in a small KS town, which included a carriage house that was originally used for horses. It was first deeded in the early 1860s. Beautiful mature trees and flowering plants all over the property, but not nicely-located in country acreage as your new place is. Many folk would feel most blessed to have made such a find. Agreed as you said, "God is good!"

Enjoy the hunting, "abundant space and peace" for many years to come.
wiksmo

Well so thought I would throw in an update. My wife and I moved over the summer. Found the place we were looking for. We had to go out a little more than I was originally hoping. We live west of Mankato now. Pretty close to the dead center of nowhere lol.
Anyways, ended up with a farmhouse that started life sometime in the 1800’s. The original dugout is still under the “ summer kitchen”. That room I believe was the original house. It has been added on to several times, 4 stages. The second phase of the house was “L” shaped. I don’t have any date information on that. The date documented times that I know of was a room added to turn the “L” into a box was 1918. The barn is early 1940’s. There is a one room schoolhouse that is in pretty good condition overall, needs a new roof. It is dated 1916.
We ended up with 20 acres. A pond and a creek. Small wood lot that I am adding some different trees into for diversity ( Hickory, Pawpaw, and Chinquapin ). I am excited to see if there is any Morel activity this spring. If not a will be “planting” them. The balance is pasture and pens.
The nearest house is a mile, and other than that it is 3 miles to the next. I am the only house on a minimum maintenance road. So space and peace is abundant.
God is good !

I live in Az presently but Lived in Hutchinson for about two years in the mid 1950's when my dad was stationed there at the naval air station when it was there. Funny I was thinking about Kansas yesterday and can still remember the address we lived at, 714 E. 5th. I'm 75 now and usually can't remember what I had for breakfast, strange what we remember. I remember as about a ten year old boy I liked the school and had a lot of fun with friends in Kansas. My dad liked the no speed limit law at the time.

We are very familiar with Douglas county. We were outside of Silver Lake in Shawnee county. I have a buddy that still resides (unfortunately) in Lawerence. Not a fan of that town.lol
Thank you very much for the well wishes.!

Zion, I think there is a muzzleloading club in the Russell area and I know there is the High Plains Muzzleloaders in the Hays area. I was a member of the High Plains group many years ago. They have a nice range north of Ellis Kansas. Check The Kansas Traditional Muzzleloading Assoc. for more information on groups if that is your thing.

Zion, the Russell Muzzleloaders are having their 35th annual rondo this weekend. That is pretty close to you. I don’t have other info or directions. Also if you are into homesteading stuff the Mother Earth News is having their fair in Topeka. Lots of good information for those seeking do it yourself and small farm info. We are going to it. It is on both Saturday and Sunday. I know there is usually a brain tanning workshop.

Russell, nice little town. I was stationed in Salina, Air Force, spent a lot of good times in Dorrance,Wilson as well.Born & raised in a big city in eastern Pa.I'm a member of Independent Mt. Men Of Pa. Look us up immofpa.com Good luck on your club activities.

Russell, nice little town. I was stationed in Salina, Air Force, spent a lot of good times in Dorrance,Wilson as well.Born & raised in a big city in eastern Pa.I'm a member of Independent Mt. Men Of Pa. Look us up immofpa.com Good luck on your club activities.

Liked checking out your website. And enjoyed the 3-minute video of the 18th NEPR 2012 HOSTED @ IMM of PA. Emlenton, Pa. That was nicely done, and looked like was a good time for those folk. From the interior view of the log cabin on the IMM land, reminded me of looking through the windows of the cabin in "The Searchers" movie starring John Wayne. Very dark cabin interior with outdoors light coming in almost too bright. Thanks for sharing it.

Merry Xmas and a happy new year to you all. A reminder - The First Santa Fe Trail Plainsmen muzzle loading club holds events the third Sunday of the month weekend at their range south of Overbrook, Kan. Saturdays host muzzle loading shotgun trap and a specialty shoot. Sundays have rifle and pistol matches. January is the only month not having a shoot.

Back