• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Kansas Folks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know several of you are from Kansas by your forum name and several of you I have had private messages from. It might be fun to share where you are from and a little other information as you see fit.

I have been shooting muzzleloaders for almost 45 years and started with a flint CVA rifle kit I built. It was a Jukar and I never shot it much as the frizzen was junk. I next built a CVA pistol kit also in flint and sold it a number of year later. My third rifle was a Thompson Center 50 Hawken kit that I still have. It has a low serial number K50XX.

I live in Manhattan and am active as an RSO at Fancy Creek Range, but am not active in any muzzleloading clubs.

Kansas Jake

I live down river from you, Jake, in Lawrence. Member of the First Santa Fe Trail Plainsmen since 1985, whose range is near Overbrook, just south of Topeka, and north a few miles of Lake Pomona.

I may have to come join you at some point if that is okay. It has been many years since I was at a regular shoot. 30 years ago I was a member of the High Plains Long Rifles when I lived in Hays.

I may have to come join you at some point if that is okay. It has been many years since I was at a regular shoot. 30 years ago I was a member of the High Plains Long Rifles when I lived in Hays.
Sure thing, Jake. Love to have you. We shoot third Sundays of the month, except January. Oh....I almost forgot, on the Saturday mornings before the Sunday shoots, there is a small group of folks who engage in some informal shotgun shooting.

Hi Jake,
I grew up in the fork tween the Blue and the Vermillion, ... (north end of the Tuttle, down in the heart of the wildlife area).
Those that have been to, or heard of "Corndodger Station", ... I actually grew up on, and roamed the banks of the Corndodger - just a mile or so south of Yonder Road. (The Station's just a mile or so north of it). Our farm was on the west fork of "Apache Lane"
((those that aint heard of Corndodger Station, ... should google it))
Since then I've moved a bit south, and I'm now east of the Wich- i-titty area.

Here's a bit of an intro since I'm fairly new on this forum.
Roughly 20 years or so back, I got fairly passionate about the F&I period, ... I had a personna of a white captive/adoptee who had been returned to the settlements due to treaty agreements. But after being returned, spent his time as a woodsman, basically dividing his time between the settlements, and his previously addoptive tribe.
Linen shirt, clout, leggings and center seams. (much like D. D. Lewis's portrayal of Hawkeye)

But then some fairly big life changes threw a large, ugly wrench in those works, and my personna had to go into stasis.

Well, I'm back now, ... and horribly confused, trying to figure out how to sucessfully shoehorn my aged frame back into my personna, ... without splittin everythin out at the seams, ...

Last edited:
I can relate to the aged thing. At my current age, if I had lived a couple of hundred years ago, I'd probably be dead. I enjoyed the mountain man stuff in the late 1970s and early 1980s, then life changed and I really didn't shoot anything or handle firearms much until the last 5-10 years. It has been fun to get back into shooting sports and especially muzzleloading.

I'm in Madhappiness and have been here for 25 years about, but lived in Hays City before that for about 7 years. I grew up near the Oregon trail area in Nebraska and lived in that area before that.

Hello guys I hope you don't mind me chiming in on this post. I am located in Bonner Springs Ks and want to get back into Black Powder. I was with a group out of Garnett Ks years ago but last I heard there was no more activity. I have been looking for a group of guys that share the same enthusiasm in 18th century reenacting. I got into the French and Indian war and chose a Rogers Ranger as a persona. I would like to get back into a group if there is one close enough to me. Living in Bonner Springs I can drive the 45 minutes to Topeka or surrounding area for weekend events if there are any. Please if anyone knows a active group I would like to get involved again.

Jake

JakeM, google Talking Bear. He has a web page that lists many of the rondys and other gatherings in Kansas and surrounding states. Also, Kansas has a the Kansas Muzzleloading Rifle Association and the Kansas Traditional Muzzleloaders. Both would be able to connect you with folks in your area. There is also James Country Mercantile in Liberty Mo. They cater more to the Civil War era, but also may provide information on local to you folks and gatherings. All of the above have web page information.

I'm in Overland Park. KS.. Just down the road from Cruzatte and actually closer to JakeM. Haven't shot regularly in years other than the rondy up in Iowa friend throws annually. finally got both knees replaced, so I'm hoping to get a bit more active and get back into my shop building guns again. of course that requires me to actually wade in a clean the shop first!;)

Respect Always
Metalshaper/ Jonathan

Hello,
I am just north of Topeka and grew up in this area. I began shooting muzzloaders at Capital City Gun Club with my dad in the early 80’s. After high school I moved out to Denver and wasn’t able to shoot much. After moving back here I got into Cowboy Action Shooting. I also made the mistake of becoming interested in modern firearms. Partly due to my line of work. I have found myself more and more migrating back into muzzleloading the older I get and these days if it has anything to do with post 1880 I want little to nothing to do with it. My wife and I have been trying more and more to move into a homestead lifestyle. Muzzleloaders fit beautifully into this. As does the host of skills that go along with it.

The Kansas Muzzleloaders Association is having their annual convention here in Manhattan this weekend. I am not a member, but plan on going in on Saturday to check you the traders room. They charge a nominal fee to get in there. It will be open friday 5-9, Saturday 9-5 and sunday morning. The other activities for members are ongoing those three days.

It is located at the 4 Points Sheraton on Ft Riley Blvd.

Headed the other way:( Wife's family is meeting up in Lexington, MO Saturday night to listen to a band ( Dan and Trish know the guitar player ) and do some boot scootin'
i'd of swung over there if I didn't already have the weekend booked up..

Get some pics of any good gear/firearms!!

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Well alright, you Jayhawkers! Sorry couldn't help myself. I'm from rural W. Central Ohio btw, so go ahead, have at me, rust belt and all that! ;) Oh manure, I almost forgot a couple of the best lines......No
offense intended! None Taken! Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa Please don't report me for this! Tongue in cheek ya know! LOL
Screenshot_2018-08-03%2069211072f9d3d302463d9ab14e6ceee6%20jpg%20JPEG%20Image%20560%20times%20330%20pixels_zps90hglz4j.jpg

I was born in KCMO, grew up in Leawood, KS and went to KU. I've been a firearm enthusiast since the age of seven and have been shooting guns one way or another ever since. Discovered blackpowder shooting about 20 years ago. I've been living in North Carolina since '87 but think a lot about my years in KS.

Greetings Kansas Jake. I am from Topeka (Big Bend in the River). I also belong to the Overbrook, Ks club, but prefer to shoot alone these days. Just plain fed up.

Oldhickory, I don't belong to any club. I was a member of the High Plains Longrifles out in the Hays area years ago. Now I just shoot at the Fancy Creek Range up at Randolph and do some hunting with my smoke poles.

I too am
Not involved in any clubs. I used to do quite a bit of organized shooting but these days I tend to hunt and shoot alone. I wouldn’t mind at least visiting a nearby shoot every blue moon, mainly for the traders though.

Back