• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

just wondering

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohio ramrod

75 Cal.
Reaction score
Reading all of the posts about trouble finding or getting black powder leaves me wondering why so many people will spend a thousand dollars or more on their guns but are reluctant to spend the cost of getting a case of black powder delivered. If stored in the dry and not subjected to high heat it will keep for over one hundred years. And is safer to store than paint thinner or lacquar thinner. ( I store all three, since I do custom woodworking as well as shooting black powder.)The Hazmat fee is the same for a case (twenty five lbs) as for a five lb order.Also caps can be stored in a vacum packed bag such as used for food storage and also will last for over one hundred years if kept dry. As the old Boy Scout motto says:BE prepared! When I first started in this game powder was two dollras a lb. I doubt that the cost will go down in the future.

It's the same for the modern folks..., the BP users remember what it cost, and what it should cost and will probably cost again..., and they are reluctant to spend that cash....,

On the other hand some of us are frugal, AND even have Scottish blood, so stock up on stuff on a regular basis, even before the COVID reared its head...,

GOOD FELLAHS PREPPERS and COVID.jpg

LD

I started with a 29 dollar shotgun and had to save for a month to come up with the money (two dollars)for my first pound of powder and tin of caps. So I realize that not every one can afford to buy a case of powder with out going in with others to split the cost. However I know several people who do have guns that cost over a thousand dollars but still buy their powder a lb at a time. I also know two people who spend well over a thousand dollars on their guns but won't spent one hundred for new glasses so they can see their sights and targets. Which leaves me wondering why people do these things.

for me i have no issues in paying a hazmat fee i buy both real black and synthetic synthetic black i can buy around town. The real black i usually buy from graf and sons. when i first got back into traditional muzzleloading 5 years ago i balked at buying real black, but i soon found some of my rifles like it better then the synthetic stuff and normally ill need other supplies. ive got over 40 muzzleloaders now so i dont balk at shooting or cost or if i can afford it. Its a little to late to say if i can afford it lol. if i have funds in the bank a truck full of gas and bills paid and food i buy as much as i want. no nagging wife here lol

Latest posts

Back