• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Just when you think you've seen it all

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly, by my own standards anyway, I am obscenely wealthy as far as worldly wealth is concerned. How much is that? Well, let's just say that I can buy pretty much anything I want that can be bought with money. Now, I could not buy a mansion in Beverly Hills, but then, I don't really want one of those... the old farm house I rent in rural Wisconsin is quite enough for me.

I've often found that the things I used to covet but could not afford are no longer on my list of things to acquire even though I probably could afford them. A '65 E-type Jaguar fixed head couple would sorta be my dream car... or it once was, and I could deplete my investments a bit or maybe sell all my guns and I could buy one now. But they are extremely impractical to own for most people. I once wanted a Shiloh Sharps rifle, but even though I could easily afford one now, I find that I balk at paying that much money for what is essentially a toy.

Now, there are a very few things I want, but no amount of money will buy them. One of them is a bottle of magic pills that cure autism, the other might be the ability to reset my life from about age 12, but keeping my current knowledge. I would then not make the mistakes I know I have made. "Might have beens", though, are not worth dwelling on for more than a daydream now and then. Then there was that girl... another "might have been" that never happened... which was probably for the best.

All in all, yes, I am content and more or less happy most of the time. As bad as things might get, they could always get worse, so there is always that to be thankful for. So, yeah, I guess I am rich.
Ya bet yur sweet bippy, and so am I. the other Dale

Even in my own state of Oregon, too much to see, I love the high lonesome. Lots of wilderness here that I have been to on horse back or a foot. Even the back roads in a good 4-wheel drive.
You bet, I love Oregon and Idaho. Owned a small ranch in Idaho right at the foot of gorgeous mountains. My wife and I spent many hours horseback and trekking. That's when I was 45 years younger :rolleyes: . Good memories. 🦨 Polecat

I would not want it. not envious just fact. I would have to shoot it to check function and accuracy, Buying a copy of a One
of One Rifle dose'nt make sense to me. If you WANT one , Commission an ORIGINAL with all the bells and whistles , Then you Have an Original . Be Safe>>>>>>Wally
Jim Kibler mostly uses originals to base his products off of and nobody seems to mind that. Kibler is a benchmark in the blackpowder rifle industry. Many other makers use originals to base their rifles off of as well. And those are for all intents and purpose mass produced copies of originals. Building a one off reproduction of an original for someone that can afford it is no further of a stretch than what the industry accepts as normal.

I'll never own a BLACK POWDER Custom Hand built ANYTHING. Unless I build it MYSELF. And I have only built my first one I owned.(I don't even have it anymore.It was distinctive ,but not EMBELLISHED) Someone else else wanted it worse than I did. I do ENJOY building CUSTOM LONG RANGE RIFLES That can't be discussed here, I do enjoy the fine WORKMANSHIP and TALENT it takes to build one, but they are not for me. On another note, I used to SPONSOR a black Powder shoot on an ANNUAL basis,All shooters weLcomed, Club members always noted that out of the box MASS PRODUCED rifles WON most matches. Maybe COININCIDENTS or just BETTER SHOOTERS on cheap rifles that they had spent more time with.....To each his own...Be Safe>>>>>>>>Wally

Personally I never go hunting again in my life without it. If I had that much money tied up in other guns, I'd sell them and buy that one. It would go with me to each range day, every hunting venture. When not carrying I'd have it hanging where I could see it in my living room. I'd go to every rendezvous I could get to so people could see, hold and shoot it. I would NOT make it an idol. I wouldn't brag of ownership but certainly brag on the the gun maker. I'm 75 and sure do not want more selfishness, pride, or sin added to my dark past. On my death then kin or charity could have it because nothing spiritual in it that can get it to the Kingdom.

I agree with you. To each his own...possible jealousy also. I thought it was a gorgeous piece of skill and craftsmanship.
Not only that but it's a documentary piece. It's a very very close copy of the Jacob Sheetz rifle of 1800. Hence the price.

OH and I've seen photos of the original, and the owner of that didn't shoot it that much, based on the condition that it still is in.

Maybe the price back then meant it was a Sunday-afternoon-shoot rifle, and not really one for loping through the woods ?

LD

That pickup is a tool, and lost at least a third of its value when it left the lot.
That rifle is a work of art, and will be valuable a century from now.
That is the difference.
I gotta admit that I can find no flaw in your logic. That said, I don't own the Mona Lisa and if it ever came up for sale, I still wouldn't own it. Just too rich for my blood.

That pickup is a tool, and lost at least a third of its value when it left the lot.
That rifle is a work of art, and will be valuable a century from now.
That is the difference.
Depends on the pickup. I just saw a 1952 F100 go for over $60,000 and I know in 1952 it wasn't that much. So depending on situation.....same-same. BTW: That gun, along with a kit gun (say Traditions, CVA, TC) that survives in excellent shape 100 years from now, will be high dollar also.

I haven't read every reply but plenty enough to see this is a very diverse group, a lot of TC and CVS shooters and a few with CLA membership. A fact or two for the ones that are new or just not interested in originals or hand made, hand carved custom guns. Go to the Annual CLA show in Lexington and you'll see many in the 8k+ range, some in 5 figures. A lot of them in the $10k range are shot, hunted with and used in matches. I remember well when Goose (now passed) had 2 Earl Lanning guns in the back of his pickup with assorted tools laying there too, one was the Dickert that was featured in a lot of presss and the "Big Warrior" fantasy rifle, look it up on line and you'll be impressed. Both were encased in very light cloth covers. Goose and I expect Earl weren't too worried about a sm dent or two. Also the rifle in question is a John Sheetz in his Va period, I made a hand made with all metal work hand fabricated Sheetz about 30 years ago that was similar to the one shown without silver wire inlay or as many silver inlays but wood base relief carving was very similar, and accurate for a Sheetz. I started making Becks and people would comment that my carving had gotten much better, it really hadn't I used Golden Age Pa/Md style of carving on Becks and Schreyers not the Sheetz methods that weren't as well developed and somewhat flat. It's a nice rifle just needs a lot of handling, shoots and some wear.

Maybe we all should take a step back and think about what has been said. For me, questions arise, that encompasses the eternal questions. Who am I? What am I? Where am I? How am I? Why? Our life experiences promote our conversations and thoughts, desires, and being. A well made weapon may turn you on as a Rembrandt, or a Picasso, hell as even the Marine Corps hymn sturs my soul. Jealousy does not fit in here. Whomever looks at this weapon to purchase walks his own path. Good for him. And..why should it not be good for me? Or you?

I haven't read every reply but plenty enough to see this is a very diverse group, a lot of TC and CVS shooters and a few with CLA membership. A fact or two for the ones that are new or just not interested in originals or hand made, hand carved custom guns. Go to the Annual CLA show in Lexington and you'll see many in the 8k+ range, some in 5 figures. A lot of them in the $10k range are shot, hunted with and used in matches. I remember well when Goose (now passed) had 2 Earl Lanning guns in the back of his pickup with assorted tools laying there too, one was the Dickert that was featured in a lot of presss and the "Big Warrior" fantasy rifle, look it up on line and you'll be impressed. Both were encased in very light cloth covers. Goose and I expect Earl weren't too worried about a sm dent or two. Also the rifle in question is a John Sheetz in his Va period, I made a hand made with all metal work hand fabricated Sheetz about 30 years ago that was similar to the one shown without silver wire inlay or as many silver inlays but wood base relief carving was very similar, and accurate for a Sheetz. I started making Becks and people would comment that my carving had gotten much better, it really hadn't I used Golden Age Pa/Md style of carving on Becks and Schreyers not the Sheetz methods that weren't as well developed and somewhat flat. It's a nice rifle just needs a lot of handling, shoots and some wear.
Exactly….I thought Sheetz’s work lacked the finesse of a more refined understanding of rococo art style…Sheetz obviously could execute every aspect of his guncraft …except the where and why of the scrolls, leaves and floral flow.
This gun maker could have copied any number of period guns but copied an artfully mediocre piece…for sale at top dollar too.

Exactly….I thought Sheetz’s work lacked the finesse of a more refined understanding of rococo art style…Sheetz obviously could execute every aspect of his guncraft …except the where and why of the scrolls, leaves and floral flow.
This gun maker could have copied any number of period guns but copied an artfully mediocre piece…for sale at top dollar too.
Mediocre?

Latest posts

Back