• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Just when you think you've seen it all

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everything we own is reletive to our income level. I just finished my tax returns, I could afford to buy this right now, but I do have a wife with more common sense than me that will tell there's something in the home that needs more attention than my gun collection. If I owned that, it would be shot all of the time, there's no such thing as a safe queen or wall hanger in this house.

People spend $70,000 on a pickup truck and turn it into useless pile of junk within 10 years. But a gun that costs a few thousand dollars is "too nice to shoot". Stupidest thing I ever heard.
The difference being that, for me at any rate, a gun costing that much would be a luxury I couldn't afford, whereas the truck may well be neccesary for my job.

Well... that's the trick isn't it?

At that income level, I no longer pay any income tax, which helps quite a bit. I have a co-tenant that also has an untaxable income who helps out with expenses. I have no debt to speak of. I don't buy new cars and never finance the ones I do buy, so there are no car payments to make. I have no credit cards. We don't go to restaurants much any longer. I can vegetables and don't usually buy expensive cuts of meat... stuff cooked in the crock pot makes for cheap meals.

I probably qualify for food stamps, though I haven't really needed them. We do make use of energy assistance in years that we qualify. This year we may or may not qualify.

I enlisted into the US Army in 1975 and now have VA Medical coverage... so no Obamacare expenses.

I don't smoke, drink or use other recreational drugs.

I don't take vacations in Hawai'i or other exotic locales. When we want to get away from it all, we might drive to Wrightstown, Brillion, Oshkosh, Appleton or more likely Green Bay. Sometimes we splurge and go to Lena and/or Abrams... maybe Oconto Falls. We are always back before the end of the day though.

In short, I pinch pennies until they are as thin as a dime and then get a quarter's worth out of them.

I donate more than most people do to church... which is kind of another investment that pays non-taxable dividends.

Sooo.... God provides, I manage what He provides and we survive comfortably... at least for the moment. Things could change in a heartbeat and quite likely they will in the next few years, but I'm not gonna worry about things I have no control over. The state of the economy, whether or not there will be a nuclear war and other such things are quite above my pay grade and that's fine with me.
You sound like a content and happy man, in other words, you are rich!

People spend $70,000 on a pickup truck and turn it into useless pile of junk within 10 years. But a gun that costs a few thousand dollars is "too nice to shoot". Stupidest thing I ever heard.
Some people might actually use the truck to make a living, though I dare say you could get a cheaper truck perhaps. IMHO

I own 'one' fancy rifle. It cost a lot less [1/4 th] than that one, but it hangs over my fireplace. It is letting visitors know this is my hobby. When I first posted it to this forum, several said they would not shoot it. I will, come spring. It is, after all, a tool. 🦨 Polecat
fine looking rifle!!

Everything we own is reletive to our income level. I just finished my tax returns, I could afford to buy this right now, but I do have a wife with more common sense than me that will tell there's something in the home that needs more attention than my gun collection. If I owned that, it would be shot all of the time, there's no such thing as a safe queen or wall hanger in this house.
I agree. If I can't shoot it, I see no point in owning it.

Sales lady at the cabinet shop said the same thing to me after receiving her quote for a new kitchen.

To each his own. I once knew a guy who had more than 50 motorcycles. He did not ride any of them. He looked upon them as works of art. That drove me nuts, but it was his money, his life. If I have a bike I don't ride, a guitar I don't play or a gun I don't shoot, it get's sold eventually. I do however have an fine art collection that I enjoy and don't 'use', I simply appreciate the aesthetics. I can understand someone wanting this purely as a work of art to be displayed and admired. If it were mine, I'd take it to the range and show off by making noise and smoke! That won't happen since I do not care for fancy firearms.

For me, a rifle can get to the point of having too much bling. And that thing has more bling than a ghetto pimp mobile.
Good one!

Well... that's the trick isn't it?

At that income level, I no longer pay any income tax, which helps quite a bit. I have a co-tenant that also has an untaxable income who helps out with expenses. I have no debt to speak of. I don't buy new cars and never finance the ones I do buy, so there are no car payments to make. I have no credit cards. We don't go to restaurants much any longer. I can vegetables and don't usually buy expensive cuts of meat... stuff cooked in the crock pot makes for cheap meals.

I probably qualify for food stamps, though I haven't really needed them. We do make use of energy assistance in years that we qualify. This year we may or may not qualify.

I enlisted into the US Army in 1975 and now have VA Medical coverage... so no Obamacare expenses.

I don't smoke, drink or use other recreational drugs.

I don't take vacations in Hawai'i or other exotic locales. When we want to get away from it all, we might drive to Wrightstown, Brillion, Oshkosh, Appleton or more likely Green Bay. Sometimes we splurge and go to Lena and/or Abrams... maybe Oconto Falls. We are always back before the end of the day though.

In short, I pinch pennies until they are as thin as a dime and then get a quarter's worth out of them.

I donate more than most people do to church... which is kind of another investment that pays non-taxable dividends.

Sooo.... God provides, I manage what He provides and we survive comfortably... at least for the moment. Things could change in a heartbeat and quite likely they will in the next few years, but I'm not gonna worry about things I have no control over. The state of the economy, whether or not there will be a nuclear war and other such things are quite above my pay grade and that's fine with me.
I believe his point was.....when you have worked all your life, you shouldn't have to pinch pennies to enjoy your retirement.

I believe his point was.....when you have worked all your life, you shouldn't have to pinch pennies to enjoy your retirement.
I probably wouldn't have to. Over the years I have accumulated enough to buy pretty much anything I want to and I'm only going to live another couple years or so, I just don't want much of anything and of the few things I do want, no amount of money could buy... then again there is that Pedersoli Kodiak .58 double rifle that has me drooling a little ;)

Latest posts

Back