• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Just when you think you've seen it all

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just get it Dale, I had the $$ I'd get it for you. And remember you dont know how long you will be here, God does, he done with you your expendable till then yer a good bet for life insurance! just sayin...

BTW the OP rifle, my first thought was "I never seen a go to meetin rifle before". I Would NEVER buy it, If I obtained it as a raffle or gift....shot within the week for sure. If not accurate....for sale the next week or trade for a .58 kibler smoothie in cherry and maybe a lil somethin to boot.

I looked at the original. It looked great. Not sure if it had the wire inlays like the repop or they were darkened with age. As for affordability,, no problem, but like a rappers giant gold dollar sign neck chain it doesn't have any appeal to many.

You sound like a content and happy man, in other words, you are rich!
Honestly, by my own standards anyway, I am obscenely wealthy as far as worldly wealth is concerned. How much is that? Well, let's just say that I can buy pretty much anything I want that can be bought with money. Now, I could not buy a mansion in Beverly Hills, but then, I don't really want one of those... the old farm house I rent in rural Wisconsin is quite enough for me.

I've often found that the things I used to covet but could not afford are no longer on my list of things to acquire even though I probably could afford them. A '65 E-type Jaguar fixed head couple would sorta be my dream car... or it once was, and I could deplete my investments a bit or maybe sell all my guns and I could buy one now. But they are extremely impractical to own for most people. I once wanted a Shiloh Sharps rifle, but even though I could easily afford one now, I find that I balk at paying that much money for what is essentially a toy.

Now, there are a very few things I want, but no amount of money will buy them. One of them is a bottle of magic pills that cure autism, the other might be the ability to reset my life from about age 12, but keeping my current knowledge. I would then not make the mistakes I know I have made. "Might have beens", though, are not worth dwelling on for more than a daydream now and then. Then there was that girl... another "might have been" that never happened... which was probably for the best.

All in all, yes, I am content and more or less happy most of the time. As bad as things might get, they could always get worse, so there is always that to be thankful for. So, yeah, I guess I am rich.

I DON't have any guns of that Value. But have some original rifles that will approch 1/3 of that. I also have a bad habit. That says if I can't PROTECT or FEED my family with it , It doesn't stick around. I also Reload for EVERY gun I have. (except rim fire ) So ALL my guns get BLOODED, Make meat for the family and you have a home, I get some strange looks, but that is the other fellows problem. To my way of thinking,, My system DOUBLES the value of the gun. HOW much is a $70,000 gun worth when the CHIPS are down, Or the SHTF ? In a bad situation, If you have $70.000 and I have a loaded $250.gun,,, YOU CAN'T buy my gun , BUT I could have MY GUN & YOUR $70 GRAND............... Be Safe>>>>>>>Wally

I had a good friend who collected factory one-offs of unmentionables. These weren't from the custom shop, just excellent production guns so we aren't talking about huge $$$ here. Most sat in his safe unshot. When I mentioned that guns were for shooting he said that shooting them would drop their value. I just shrugged. Hey, it wasn't my money. Sadly he passed away and never knew the feel of those rifles kicking his shoulder or the smell of the burnt powder from that particular cartridge. All of my possessions are users no matter what I paid for them. If they are somehow devalued then my family will get less when they sell them but I will have had the joy of using them.

I probably wouldn't have to. Over the years I have accumulated enough to buy pretty much anything I want to and I'm only going to live another couple years or so, I just don't want much of anything and of the few things I do want, no amount of money could buy... then again there is that Pedersoli Kodiak .58 double rifle that has me drooling a little ;)
You let us know when you acquire that pedersoli. Hell, I can't even afford that without sacrificing necessities.....YET👍

I DON't have any guns of that Value. But have some original rifles that will approch 1/3 of that. I also have a bad habit. That says if I can't PROTECT or FEED my family with it , It doesn't stick around. I also Reload for EVERY gun I have. (except rim fire ) So ALL my guns get BLOODED, Make meat for the family and you have a home, I get some strange looks, but that is the other fellows problem. To my way of thinking,, My system DOUBLES the value of the gun. HOW much is a $70,000 gun worth when the CHIPS are down, Or the SHTF ? In a bad situation, If you have $70.000 and I have a loaded $250.gun,,, YOU CAN'T buy my gun , BUT I could have MY GUN & YOUR $70 GRAND............... Be Safe>>>>>>>Wally
Love your signature! I keep lots of hay-wire and duct tape around the house and could probably McGyver most anything I might need from the "junk" in the attic or out in the shed(s). My father was better at this than I am though... and some are MUCH better than I am.

These days, having a pile of money in the bank is perhaps not such a good idea. I think they're all gonna collapse pretty soon. Having stuff you can trade or stuff you can use in a disaster scenario... priceless!

Too much $ can be a worry. Exceeded my absurd lifetime income level by 4x+ at halftime. Yet still upset/frightened when the dollar store became the dollar twenty five store and continue stop to pick up pennies on the ground. Those of us who had depression era/ WW2 survivor parents are especially mentally affected/afflicted. BTW anyone notice not many ground pennies to be seen anymore???

Too much $ can be a worry. Exceeded my absurd lifetime income level by 4x+ at halftime. Yet still upset/frightened when the dollar store became the dollar twenty five store and continue stop to pick up pennies on the ground. Those of us who had depression era/ WW2 survivor parents are especially mentally affected/afflicted. BTW anyone notice not many ground pennies to be seen anymore???
Yeah, and even fewer dimes and quarters! You can still find an occasional pre-'64 silver dime in a roll though.

Just the fact so many hate such a beautiful rifle makes me like it even better. You can of course compare it with the plethora of Keebler snap together kits, but the rifle is a fine bit 'O work and if I had it I would most certainly enjoy it by shooting it: a lot.

Yeah, and even fewer dimes and quarters! You can still find an occasional pre-'64 silver dime in a roll though.
Actually seen almost no discarded change. Overheard bank teller they had put limits on available coins for change for vendors. When they pay a premium for change i will cash in and buy that rifle.

Just get it Dale, I had the $$ I'd get it for you. And remember you dont know how long you will be here, God does, he done with you your expendable till then yer a good bet for life insurance! just sayin...

BTW the OP rifle, my first thought was "I never seen a go to meetin rifle before". I Would NEVER buy it, If I obtained it as a raffle or gift....shot within the week for sure. If not accurate....for sale the next week or trade for a .58 kibler smoothie in cherry and maybe a lil somethin to boot.
Well, maybe come tax return time...

Something like this pops up. Is there is a point, both beauty and price, that makes it a wall hanger?

https://www.newtownegallery.com/historical-weaponry/45-caliber-flintlock-rifle
[
To me the price of the gun has nothing to do with functionality of the gun. Just because I spent a lot of money doesn’t mean I’m not going to use it. Now if I purchased a wall hanger that is what I purchased ( not working ). And even then I would do some serious research to find the parts needed to repair said wall hanger and make it usable. I’ve owned a derringer for 25 years and just recently found the parts I needed to make it usable. So the shadow box is up for sale.

Honestly, by my own standards anyway, I am obscenely wealthy as far as worldly wealth is concerned. How much is that? Well, let's just say that I can buy pretty much anything I want that can be bought with money. Now, I could not buy a mansion in Beverly Hills, but then, I don't really want one of those... the old farm house I rent in rural Wisconsin is quite enough for me.

I've often found that the things I used to covet but could not afford are no longer on my list of things to acquire even though I probably could afford them. A '65 E-type Jaguar fixed head couple would sorta be my dream car... or it once was, and I could deplete my investments a bit or maybe sell all my guns and I could buy one now. But they are extremely impractical to own for most people. I once wanted a Shiloh Sharps rifle, but even though I could easily afford one now, I find that I balk at paying that much money for what is essentially a toy.

Now, there are a very few things I want, but no amount of money will buy them. One of them is a bottle of magic pills that cure autism, the other might be the ability to reset my life from about age 12, but keeping my current knowledge. I would then not make the mistakes I know I have made. "Might have beens", though, are not worth dwelling on for more than a daydream now and then. Then there was that girl... another "might have been" that never happened... which was probably for the best.

All in all, yes, I am content and more or less happy most of the time. As bad as things might get, they could always get worse, so there is always that to be thankful for. So, yeah, I guess I am rich.
My only worldly want is a 1949-1953 Ford F100 Pickup that I could restore a little, paint it red, with a nice wooden bed, and a nice lifelike Christmas tree in the bed, to display in my front property, for my viewing pleasure. My real life wish is that my family not have to suffer the consequences of this scum in the WH!

Back