• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just weighed my .62 cal Tulle de Chasse

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nessmuck56

40 Cal.
Reaction score
.62 cal 42 “ Getz barrel....got 8.3 lbs. Was just wondering if that was correct for this style....What’s your Tulle weigh ?? Thanks for any input

Mines about eight. Originals seem to have had lighter barrels and forestock with less wood then a toothpick and were mostly 7ish or a might lighter.
Mine is maple and I think maple a little heavier per cubic foot then walnut (?). Indian guns are on a dark ironwood and far too much wood left on and are heavier yet.

Modern barrels are way to thick at the muzzle compared to the originals. Probably due to legal issues which I completely understand. Most trade guns were in the 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 pound range. 8.3 pounds is a bit on the heavy side for any fowling piece but if it balances well, you don't notice as much. RE Davis sells a really nice French gun kit that comes in over 8 pounds, but it has a 48" barrel and much of the weight is in the thickness of the breech. I am as guilty as anyone when it comes to over picking PC stuff, but at the end of the day if it fits and it's comfortable, nobody is going to follow you around in the woods with a scale LOL! My guess is you have a very nice piece.

Modern barrels are way to thick at the muzzle compared to the originals. Probably due to legal issues which I completely understand. Most trade guns were in the 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 pound range. 8.3 pounds is a bit on the heavy side for any fowling piece but if it balances well, you don't notice as much. RE Davis sells a really nice French gun kit that comes in over 8 pounds, but it has a 48" barrel and much of the weight is in the thickness of the breech. I am as guilty as anyone when it comes to over picking PC stuff, but at the end of the day if it fits and it's comfortable, nobody is going to follow you around in the woods with a scale LOL! My guess is you have a very nice piece.
Mine is a centermark and not the most perfect copy of a real TFC. However, for everything wrong with it it’s my favorite gun, not just the ones I own now but over the whole of my life.

Mine is a centermark and not the most perfect copy of a real TFC. However, for everything wrong with it it’s my favorite gun, not just the ones I own now but over the whole of my life.

I loved those guns. I’ve been looking all over the place to find one. I actually talked to a Paul about buying his patterns a few years ago, but Pete Allen is no longer making locks for RE Davis and that’s what they used.

I loved those guns. I’ve been looking all over the place to find one. I actually talked to a Paul about buying his patterns a few years ago, but Pete Allen is no longer making locks for RE Davis and that’s what they used.
TOTW is making a dandy French lock now, that would be the one to go with.
003_zps71324f19.jpg

Back