Just Starting with Persona

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Fur Trade' started by Walkingeagle, Jul 9, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Jul 9, 2019 #1

Walkingeagle

Walkingeagle

Walkingeagle

32 Cal.

Hi all,
    First I apologize if this post is not appropriate for the specific forum. Please move if that is the case.
    I’ve been shooting BP muzzleguns for just shy of 25 years now, and own several yet again (gave a bunch away to nephews n’such a couple years back, but addiction is rough..). All are production made rifles, with a couple having some self work done on them. Many years ago I owned a TC Renegade .54 cap bought used, got an aftermarket walnut pre-inlet stock and bought iron sand cast furniture from Track, and a GM IBS .54 rb barrel in order to make it more correct. Sights however remain factory. This gun shoots very well but due to significant muscle loss (70 lbs worth) the factory barrel is easier to hold on target anymore. I also tried my hand at a flint, specifically a GPR .50 flint from a kit, and did not enjoy shooting it. Finally decided to do a conversion to cap via drum and nipple, which I completed a couple years back and it too is a shooter.
    Now my question, I am just starting down the path of a persona and am thinking trapper/hunter in our Peace/Athabasca River areas of the North woods, likely 1840+ period. Perhaps with Metis influence. I realize a trade gun is most likely the better fit, however whats the thoughts on the two I’ve described?
    Best always
    Walk

2. Jul 9, 2019 #2

Kansas Jake

Kansas Jake

Kansas Jake

54 Cal.

I’ve been shooting muzzleloader off and on for 40 years. If I was doing a persona today I would have to take my age into consideration. It is unlikely that I would be a trapper. Maybe a retired one. This is just a thought to throw out as you explore your persona.

3. Jul 9, 2019 #3

rich pierce

rich pierce

rich pierce

70 Cal.

I should be in the camp geezer stage of persona development. All the mountain men retired or went to guiding wagon tradings by the time they were old. Some became prospectors. But just pretend you’re young and go with what you think would fit the area. A trade gun is sure fun.

4. Jul 10, 2019 #4

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

Maybe an HBC employee. You could have a rifle. Clothing would be typical workman’s clothing and some Indian or Metis thrown in for flair. You could gravitate to factor or secretary, be rather well dressed with some ‘native’ stuff thrown in.
    Moccasins, unless the weather looks bad and you bring out boots, maybe some sort of Indian decorated bag for your fire kit or smoking kit.

NW Territory Woodsman likes this.