• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just starting out CVA KENTUCKY. 45 RIFLE

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clb_410

32 Cal
Reaction score
Just starting out and have a few questions?
I bought a CVA Kentucky 45 cal rifle. How can I tell if it is a kit? Also not sure which digits indicate manufacturer date.
Second,I have not shot it yet,but am having a hard time finding cleaning kit for .45. Any suggestions? Any links to good cleaning tutorials would be help also. Thank you. Looking forward to learning more.

A kit is not necessary for cleaning the rifle. You will need a .45 jag and some patches, also a good "range rod" and muzzleguard. Water is all I use to clean a gun and it's free. After cleaning and drying use a good oil, but sparingly, to swab the dry bore and protect it from rust. Best is to get with an experienced BP shooter who can show you the ropes.

A kit is not necessary for cleaning the rifle. You will need a .45 jag and some patches, also a good "range rod" and muzzleguard. Water is all I use to clean a gun and it's free. After cleaning and drying use a good oil, but sparingly, to swab the dry bore and protect it from rust. Best is to get with an experienced BP shooter who can show you the ropes.
Thank you. This bit of info has been very helpful. I feel a little better about the cleaning process.

Just starting out and have a few questions?
I bought a CVA Kentucky 45 cal rifle. How can I tell if it is a kit? Also not sure which digits indicate manufacturer date.
Second,I have not shot it yet,but am having a hard time finding cleaning kit for .45. Any suggestions? Any links to good cleaning tutorials would be help also. Thank you. Looking forward to learning more.
First thing to do is to confirm your new gun was not left loaded by the previous owner. Do you know for certain there is no charge in the barrel?

Simple test, place ramrod along side of rifle , line end up with breech plug slightly ahead of the drum, Then insert and check to see if the ramrod goes completely down to drum area. Also the nipple should be open to the muzzle, pouring a little water will tell you if the channel is open.

I concur. Regular unheated water cleans as well as any of the boiling hot whiz bang concoctions.

Latest posts

Back