• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Just purchased a Thompson Center muzzle loader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harry C

32 Cal
Reaction score
Just purchased a Thompson Center muzzle loader and it looks like a Renegade without any name on the barrel. The serial number is 3001 which caught my eye when I first viewed it. The person selling the gun was selling her husbands collection. Their were a number of old muzzleloaders unfired as this man didn't shoot guns. She had absolutely no idea when it was purchased and nothing noted in his log on any of the Thompsons. Can anyone tell me anything about this gun, it's name or possible manufacturing date. Thanks

What caliber is your Renegade?

A picture would help someone ID the gun. Several members here own them and really like them. Someone with more knowledge than I should chime in with some help.

Here is some info for you; Renegades are a very good quality, nothing fancy plain Jane muzzleloader that had no patch box, no nose cap, no brass, double set triggers, American Walnut stock, came in .50 & .54 cal. but are very rugged, dependable and very accurate rifles. I've owned a .50 cal. I built from a kit for over 30 years and the only misfire, besides an occasional cap failure, was operator failure, not the guns fault. I recently acquired a .54 cal. and last summer my uncle gifted me his .50 cal. he owned for over 35 years that he attended re-enactments and competed with. All three are great shooting guns. Hope this helps!

Just purchased a Thompson Center muzzle loader and it looks like a Renegade without any name on the barrel. The serial number is 3001 which caught my eye when I first viewed it. The person selling the gun was selling her husbands collection. Their were a number of old muzzleloaders unfired as this man didn't shoot guns. She had absolutely no idea when it was purchased and nothing noted in his log on any of the Thompsons. Can anyone tell me anything about this gun, it's name or possible manufacturing date. Thanks
Someone may be able to assist. Pictures would be first step in providing that assistance.

A picture would help someone ID the gun. Several members here own them and really like them. Someone with more knowledge than I should chime in with some help.

Here is some info for you; Renegades are a very good quality, nothing fancy plain Jane muzzleloader that had no patch box, no nose cap, no brass, double set triggers, American Walnut stock, came in .50 & .54 cal. but are very rugged, dependable and very accurate rifles. I've owned a .50 cal. I built from a kit for over 30 years and the only misfire, besides an occasional cap failure, was operator failure, not the guns fault. I recently acquired a .54 cal. and last summer my uncle gifted me his .50 cal. he owned for over 35 years that he attended re-enactments and competed with. All three are great shooting guns. Hope this helps!

54 caliber

If it has the Renegade's black furniture (TG/BP, etc) it's an early Renegade, made prior to T/C putting names on the barrels.

My .45 & .36 Seneca's are also nameless, and is easily ID via measuring the bbl thickness across the flats (13/16")

fAO6dKUl.jpg

The .54 cal. has a nice kick with 90 gr. of Pyrodex RS and patched round ball.

For your entertainment, check out this video, love this kid. Be sure to also watch part 2;

I totally agree with Nutn. These are good guns and accurate shooters. I shot a 6 point buck with my .54 Seneca at about 40 yds, with a patched round ball. Hit him in the lung/heart area and it knocked him right down and rolled him.

You
The .54 cal. has a nice kick with 90 gr. of Pyrodex RS and patched round ball.

For your entertainment, check out this video, love this kid. Be sure to also watch part 2;

After you click the arrow you get another screen To watch the video you will have to click the underlined part that says 'Click to watch on You Tube'

If it has the Renegade's black furniture (TG/BP, etc) it's an early Renegade, made prior to T/C putting names on the barrels.

My .45 & .36 Seneca's are also nameless, and is easily ID via measuring the bbl thickness across the flats (13/16")

fAO6dKUl.jpg
That is exactly the way mine appears only CAL 54. So I'm not sure if it would be a Renegade or Seneca. So far I haven't seen one single Thompson with a 4 digit serial number so I have no way of tracing it's vintage period.

That is exactly the way mine appears only CAL 54. So I'm not sure if it would be a Renegade or Seneca. So far I haven't seen one single Thompson with a 4 digit serial number so I have no way of tracing it's vintage period.
Well if it’s a 54 caliber it is not a Seneca. TC never made a 54 caliber Seneca. As far as 4 digit TCs, I have a TC Hawken flintlock 4 digit, 2###, but no idea on the date of manufacturer, though I have had it a long time. Also have a percussion 4 digit. Neither has more than the caliber stamped on the barrel. DOM guesses are all over the place, and to be honest, nobody seems too concerned about it. The barrel is the only component with a number on it, and they are swapped out all the time. TC has no idea either as all their records were burned in a factory fire years ago.

If you post some clear photographs of what you have someone will help you ID what you have. Sounds like a Renegade.

That video is far too poor to say with 100% certainty that he is not wearing hearing protection. I looked through other videos where he has his son shooting, and in some he has muffs, some he has plugs. I think it is entirely possible the kid has plugs in this video.

As for the eye protection, he definitely doesn't have that, but just because you deem it necessary, doesn't mean everybody does. I have never worn eye protection when shooting muzzleloaders, and almost never do when shooting anything else. Not for targets, not for hunting. About the only time I do is when I'm shooting steel at close range.

Last edited by a moderator:
That video is far too poor to say with 100% certainty that he is not wearing hearing protection. I looked through other videos where he has his son shooting, and in some he has muffs, some he has plugs. I think it is entirely possible the kid has plugs in this video.

As for the eye protection, he definitely doesn't have that, but just because you deem it necessary, doesn't mean everybody does. I have never worn eye protection when shooting muzzleloaders, and almost never do when shooting anything else. Not for targets, not for hunting. About the only time I do is when I'm shooting steel at close range.
If you want to put yourself at risk - your business ---
If you put a child at risk - that's called child abuse. There is a reason that young children can't own firearms. They need to be taught under RESPONSIBLE adult supervision to do the right thing. Go to ANY public venue - even those standing by and watching are required to wear basic protection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything mentioned above plus creating a flinch factor at such a young age.. Use your head and teach your son the right way to handle a firearm or just take take the video down.

Every model TC model started out with four digit serial numbers no matter when they were introduced. And whether or not they had model name stamped on them depended on the mood of TC’s bean-counters. Some years they had name some years they didn’t. Anybody knows me knows l love TC guns. But they were notorious for ill-advised cost cutting from time to time.

Is there anything a person can post here that doesn't get criticized, berated, bastardize. This is my third ordeal on this site and I'm a little ****** about it. All was trying to do was show a new member how a .54 cal. can get in an entertaining way but it sure did get misconstrued. I have read a few post about guys having problems on this site about members getting into arguments, verbal altercations, criticized, etc. and I see what they were talking about. Once or twice I can kind of overlook but when I see it constantly and especially directed toward me personally I draw the line. So, to the Mods, please cancel my membership and as far as I'm concerned you can delete all my post and personal info as I can see I wasted my time trying to help, I'm done here.

Come on, Nutn... cool down. You got too much to offer all all those lurkers out there. And maybe a few of us as well.

Zonie, give him a week or so.

don

Congrats on the 54 Renegade. I have one I built from a kit 30 years ago. It's been my preferred way to hunt ever since and has taken numerous deer as well as four elk.

Scota, well said on the eye and ear pro. To often the message is right but the delivery is wrong and shuts down the intended audience. I come to these forums to relax and get away from the divisiveness we seem to be surrounded by today.

Nuts, hope you decide to stay. Please think about it some.

I just picked up my wife’s fourth Renegade here yesterday with a .45 Green River barrel. Well, fourth if you call her .56 SB a Renegade. Does anyone know for sure if TC ever built a factory .45 Renegade?

Still can’t call this a complete collection though, i still need a Big Bore (Boar?).

don

Back