• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Just purchased a Thompson Center muzzle loader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just picked up my wife’s fourth Renegade here yesterday with a .45 Green River barrel. Well, fourth if you call her .56 SB a Renegade. Does anyone know for sure if TC ever built a factory .45 Renegade?

Still can’t call this a complete collection though, i still need a Big Bore (Boar?).

don

No. TC never made a 45 Renegade. And Boar is the correct spellin’ and there’s also a boar’s head engraved/stamped on the barrel next to the writing.

I publicly apologize to NUTNFANCY: If you took this personal:
It was not intended toward you personally, as there is nothing you did that was improper.

I have been involved in the shooting and the sports for 60 years,
Over the decades, I have seen more than a few accidents.
I have never seen an injury that could not have been prevented by following a few common sense rules.
Any person that allows a 10 year old to do shoot a muzzleloader is to be commended - we all need to get the youth involved.
I have set up light loads and allowed (with parents permission) responsible kids as young as 7 to shoot one of my guns.
To allow ones son to shoot a muzzleloader - especially one as large as a 54 with a full load - without hearing and eye protection is child abuse and shear stupidity.
I have kids with kids and am just now being able to introduce my grandkids to the sport as I did my kids when they were small.
It is our responsibility to do it right, set the right example and teach the right ways to enjoy the art,
Basic eye and ear - no different than requiring your kids and grandkids to use seatbelts in the car.
Chit happens - but you don't get badly injured if you take the basic steps for protection.

IMO, there's no "if's" about it - you're the one who made it personal.

I hope you reach out to Nutnfancy via PM, with a real apology ( jes' sayin' )

Nutnfancy, I too hope you stay with us my friend.

You have a lot to offer our newer members as well as the rest of us for that matter.

Can tell you’re a good man with a caring heart. You’ve always been a gentleman here and have always set a very good example for some of us to follow my friend.

Always appreciate what you say and how you say it. I definitely know others feel the same way.

What you decide is of course your business? I’m still looking forward to hearing more from you in the very near future my friend.

Respectfully, Cowboy

IMO, there's no "if's" about it - you're the one who made it personal.
Safety of a child IS personal - and ANYTIME we see something that is radically wrong - standing by and and doing nothing is the same as condoning it. One of my kids at age 11 was injured to the point she needed medical care (stitches and cosmetic surgery later) because 4 adults stood and watched knowing what was happening was wrong - and not a single one of them reacted to stop it. Now at 39 she still carries the scar on her face. Absolutely YES - it's personal. It was not directed at NUTNFANCY - and I so stated that.

Is there anything a person can post here that doesn't get criticized, berated, bastardize. This is my third ordeal on this site and I'm a little ****** about it. All was trying to do was show a new member how a .54 cal. can get in an entertaining way but it sure did get misconstrued. I have read a few post about guys having problems on this site about members getting into arguments, verbal altercations, criticized, etc. and I see what they were talking about. Once or twice I can kind of overlook but when I see it constantly and especially directed toward me personally I draw the line. So, to the Mods, please cancel my membership and as far as I'm concerned you can delete all my post and personal info as I can see I wasted my time trying to help, I'm done here.
Easy big guy. I have had to learn to ignore stuff like that. You offer a great deal many of us can learn from. Stick around please.

I just picked up a TC 54 that looks like it was never fired. Missing the ramrod. I'm new to BP guns and learning all I can from you guys.

Is there a section here on safety - things I should and shouldn't do?

A specific section on safety, not really. Safety is usually a sort off sub topic in most of our postings.

If you are new to muzzle loading and want to get the best performance and safe practices from the start, go to Dutch Schoultz's web sit and order his Black Powder Accuracy System. blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com For $25 its one of the cheapest and current introductory aids you can find.

First and foremost is muzzle control. Keep the muzzle pointing in a safe direction. Don't prime or cap until you are ready to fire the gun. Be aware of your back stoop and where the ball may impact down range.

Secondly, wear eye and ear protection. These can't be replaced and we can come across pretty strongly about that bit of safety. There's cap fragments that fly about and even a percussion lock has gases that spew from the nipple. Especially true with a cap and ball revolver.

Use black powder or one of the accepted substitutes. (Full disclosure: I use Black Powder only but recommend that sometimes substitute powders are the only option available for new shooters.)

Measure your powder charge by volume. The substitutes are designed to replace a black powder charge of the same volume.

Use the proper sized ball and patch. Get a short starter to facilitate loading the ball.

Use a sturdy range rod. The rod usually sold with the rifle can be flimsy and be prone to breakage. Push the ball down in short strokes of about 6 to 8 inches at a time.

Once loaded and you have your safety glasses and ear plugs in place, go to the firing line, cap your rifle, aim and fire.

When done shooting, clean your rifle. There are many entries to be found by the search engine on the forum to detail cleaning procedures. The fouling from using any propellant for a muzzle loader is corrosive, so cleaning and protective lubrication is imperative. A clean rifle is also a safe rifle.

Is there anything a person can post here that doesn't get criticized, berated, bastardize. This is my third ordeal on this site and I'm a little ****** about it. All was trying to do was show a new member how a .54 cal. can get in an entertaining way but it sure did get misconstrued. I have read a few post about guys having problems on this site about members getting into arguments, verbal altercations, criticized, etc. and I see what they were talking about. Once or twice I can kind of overlook but when I see it constantly and especially directed toward me personally I draw the line. So, to the Mods, please cancel my membership and as far as I'm concerned you can delete all my post and personal info as I can see I wasted my time trying to help, I'm done here.
Hope you stay, this site is full of good folks knowledgeable and often passionate.

DCC4C0F2-0BF7-44F8-81B5-25D41991FAD2.png

Not sure if this needs a new thread started, but the wife and i had lunch with one of our hunting partners today, and took along her new express rifle. He’s aware that i used the metal-finishing pad treatment on her new tough-to-load Renegade, getting it ready to hunt with in 3 weeks. He urged me to buy a Lee .530 rb mold for these and he’d teach us how to make rb’s. Fine, i’ll do that this afternoon.

But, an above post abt shooting conicals in the Express, and the knowledge i’ve gained here and there abt bullets in the 1:48 Renegade made me start thinking ahead about a bullet mold for hunting use in both weapons. Except i have 0 experience w conicals.

I could use some info about a very basic how-to approach on bullet mold sizes, designs, recommendations for conicals for both weapons. Please. Thank you.

don

I just picked up a TC 54 that looks like it was never fired. Missing the ramrod. I'm new to BP guns and learning all I can from you guys.

Is there a section here on safety - things I should and shouldn't do?
Really, the best way to learn all about your new muzzleloader is to have a buddy advise you, but especially, accompany you when you go to shoot it and show you how it's done. One on one is the best, and you can even social distance and wear a mask! The mask will help filter out the huge cloud of smoke you are going to make.

i agree with Grenadier 1758 ... Dutch Scoultz' method is a great gem and if you follow his instructions, your groups will shrink. Really all I can add is not to fall into the 'rabbit hole' of believing that if you don't do "X," or if you do "Y," plague and pestilence will follow.

Do what works best for your particular setup (within the confines of safety and common sense, of course), and don't get too upset about what "everybody" might think.

and one more thing:

Make Good Smoke :)

Not sure if this needs a new thread started, but the wife and i had lunch with one of our hunting partners today, and took along her new express rifle. He’s aware that i used the metal-finishing pad treatment on her new tough-to-load Renegade, getting it ready to hunt with in 3 weeks. He urged me to buy a Lee .530 rb mold for these and he’d teach us how to make rb’s. Fine, i’ll do that this afternoon.

But, an above post abt shooting conicals in the Express, and the knowledge i’ve gained here and there abt bullets in the 1:48 Renegade made me start thinking ahead about a bullet mold for hunting use in both weapons. Except i have 0 experience w conicals.

I could use some info about a very basic how-to approach on bullet mold sizes, designs, recommendations for conicals for both weapons. Please. Thank you.

don
Be very careful casting. This is an activity that is know be be highly habit forming. Once you start it is impossible to stop.

(HAPPY CASTING!)

Take some pictures!

Centurion, Thompson/Center never made a Renegade in .45 caliber, only .50 & .54 caliber. The T/C Hawken was available in .45, & .50 caliber, in a 15/16" barrel, ATF, & .54 caliber in a 1" barrel, ATF. "ATF" is "Across The Flats".

Both the Cherokee and the Seneca were available in .45 caliber in a 13/16" barrel, ATF. They were also available in .32 & .36 caliber.

FWIW, both Green Mountain and Knight offered replacement drop-in 1"ATF .32 caliber barrels for the T/C Renegade. Call it a "heavy hitter". If someone has a T/C Renegade in .45 caliber, the barrel will be a drop-in replacement Green Mountain manufacture.

Centurion, Thompson/Center never made a Renegade in .45 caliber, only .50 & .54 caliber. The T/C Hawken was available in .45, & .50 caliber, in a 15/16" barrel, ATF, & .54 caliber in a 1" barrel, ATF. "ATF" is "Across The Flats".

Both the Cherokee and the Seneca were available in .45 caliber in a 13/16" barrel, ATF. They were also available in .32 & .36 caliber.

FWIW, both Green Mountain and Knight offered replacement drop-in 1"ATF .32 caliber barrels for the T/C Renegade. Call it a "heavy hitter". If someone has a T/C Renegade in .45 caliber, the barrel will be a drop-in replacement Green Mountain manufacture.

They’re rare as hen’s teeth but TC also made 58 caliber Hawkens. I’ve seen exactly one and pictures of another one a friend in California had. And no, it wasn’t a Renegade barrel on a Hwaken stock.

My TC (factory) .54 caliber Hawken has a 6 digit sn.
According to TC, "it was made pre-fire.". The records of when such and such rifle was made by the SN, were lost in the fire.

I don't know. Did TC make any Hawken, Renegade, or Senica rifles AFTER the fire?

Back