• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Just picked up this trade gun today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me likely likely ! :)

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1680402282879.jpg
    FB_IMG_1680402282879.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1680402278877.jpg
    FB_IMG_1680402278877.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1680402297530.jpg
    FB_IMG_1680402297530.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1680402289498.jpg
    FB_IMG_1680402289498.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1680402293108.jpg
    FB_IMG_1680402293108.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1680402286224.jpg
    FB_IMG_1680402286224.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1680402300971.jpg
    FB_IMG_1680402300971.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 0
Definately a modern reproduction, but all the right parts in all the right places. Shoot it!
Oh yeah , a reproduction . It appears to be all Caywood but the barrel throws me ...the stock has nice authentic lines . Dandy gun but some dumb amateur things to fix on it first before my first shot . I've already torn it apart and sanded the poor " carving " off of the butt stock . I completely went through it and made a list of thing to do to it to bring it up to snuff .

Before and after pic of the buttstock ... I didn't think it was too deep when I was examining it before I bought it ... Feel better now knowing I was right , SHEEW !! :)

Attachments

• IMG_20230401_180729~2.jpg
    IMG_20230401_180729~2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230401_184206~2.jpg
    IMG_20230401_184206~2.jpg
    971.8 KB · Views: 0
It will be a dandy!
It really will ! If I keep it I'll have to perl off the buttplate and shorten the LOP to 13.5" .... I really should do that even if I'm going to sell it , the most common LOP , but ....first , its a scarey chore with a nailed on BP and ....if I do that I'll probably end up keeping it ! LOL . Hopefully someone with a LOP of 13 3/4" sees it , loves it and wants to buy it ...we'll see :)

Last edited:
It appears to be all Caywood but the barrel throws me ...the stock has nice authentic lines . it to bring it up to snuff .
A Caywood-sourced barrel would be exterior coned, like ‘1/2 a football shaped bit’ was drilled into the 1/16”+ touch hole after the through hole was drilled. The octagonal section would also be highly tapered to the wedding ring transition and the muzzle should be as thin in metal as you’ve ever seen a fowler. (Fully admitting that I haven’t seen one of your barrels yet … )

If an early Caywood lock, it would be marked inside as ‘CC&R’ for Caywood, Caywood and Rowe. The Rowe was Mike ‘Kiwi’ Rowe who made excellent to UNREAL reliable and sparking locks … sparking like a welder I like to say! Mike designed the Caywood locks, as I’ve been told, and sadly they parted ways and Mike didn't even get to keep the rights to his locks.

There are reports out there that some locks post the Mike Rowe era are … well, below par in quality and peformance.

A Caywood-sourced barrel would be exterior coned, like ‘1/2 a football shaped bit’ was drilled into the 1/16”+ touch hole after the through hole was drilled. The octagonal section would also be highly tapered to the wedding ring transition and the muzzle should be as thin in metal as you’ve ever seen a fowler. (Fully admitting that I haven’t seen one of your barrels yet … )

If an early Caywood lock, it would be marked inside as ‘CC&R’ for Caywood, Caywood and Rowe. The Rowe was Mike ‘Kiwi’ Rowe who made excellent to UNREAL reliable and sparking locks … sparking like a welder I like to say! Mike designed the Caywood locks, as I’ve been told, and sadly they parted ways and Mike didn't even get to keep the rights to his locks.

There are reports out there that some locks post the Mike Rowe era are … well, below par in quality and peformance. Yeah, exactly

There are reports out there that some locks post the Mike Rowe era are … well, below par in quality and peformance.
Yeah , exactly . Its a Caywood lock and side plate and appears to be their stock before guy did a bit of butchering to it but the barrel ...I've only worked on a few Caywood guns and they didn't have this kind of barrel but I'm certainly not expert on their barrels or guns . Love this lock !! It sparks great , great springs too !! Barrel is really nice too. I like my barrels best and dont care for the step down at the transition that modern barrels have, originals dont have that , but this one is a nice looking barrel , no markings or stamps on it

Attachments

• IMG_20230401_171645.jpg
    IMG_20230401_171645.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Before and after pic of the buttstock ... I didn't think it was too deep when I was examining it before I bought it ... Feel better now knowing I was right , SHEEW !! :)

Definitely not a Caywood, at least finished by him.
I believe it is from some other maker.

No
Definitely not a Caywood, at least finished by him.
I believe it is from some other maker.
, I didn't think it was finished by Caywood , it was finished poorly with some bad obvious mistakes, they do a good job on their finished guns , but many of the components of Caywood so perhaps a kit ....

there are two foxes', used on trade guns. the sitting one and the tombstone one, on lock's & barrels. I like them both. jmho.

Interested if you were t
Yes , once I clean her all up she will be for sale . Man ! I love this lock though ! I want to keep here ! and the trigger guard , and the side plate and the barrel !! LOL ! Wish I can across guns like this all the time ! It'll be 1800

Yes , once I clean her all up she will be for sale . Man ! I love this lock though ! I want to keep here ! and the trigger guard , and the side plate and the barrel !! LOL ! Wish I can across guns like this all the time ! It'll be 1800
I'll have to let it go but thanks for sharing it will be a beauty when you finish it 😊

I am usually very understanding but ....even I have my limits . if m$#@&% f%$#@& dont know what they are doing they really ought to leave firearms , explosives and delivering babies to experienced folks ..... d@mn !! Stupid amateurish carvings , over sized horse shoe nails bashed into thin brass on the edge of the wood , 3/8" ramrod pipes with 5/16 " groove and hole , barrel lugs barely attached to the barrel , Barrel pins huge nails with huge gaping holes in the wood and can't be k ocked through as they should be and tear up the wood to remove them , tang cobbled up , tang screw made from a HUGE sinker spike nail, stupid carving on the ramrod groove , nose just ....I dont know what they were trying to accomplish ....glue under the RR pipes , Tiny , under 1/16" pins in RR pipes that were glued in , and pin drilled to blow out the top , gap at rear of barrel and tag , trigger pin is way too tiny and was only in half ! of its hole ! Other half sticking out the sear hole ! and I think glued in the half !! Red glue looking $#it every where under every part ... front blade so thin you can't see it .... and a couple things I won't mention ...Really stupid $#it.....I'll get her all fixed up but ...good gawd !

Attachments

• IMG_20230402_163039.jpg
    IMG_20230402_163039.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back