• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just picked up an '89 CVA Hunter-Hawken .50

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
from a local pawn -

CVA HUNTER HAWKEN 89.jpg

$99 + tax - 28" barrel - will test for barrel twist. Haven't looked real close at the barrel condition. Just excited about getting another smoke pole! Even though it is the least "correct" one they had - it looked like a shooter and that at one time someone had used it to bag game with. I figured the lock was worth more than what I gave for the whole gun.

I am going to take the scope off and use the open sights. Never have liked scopes.

Not sure if that lock is stock, but it doesn't look like it. Might be L&R? Has the bent hammer spur for scope. Shouldn't affect how it shoots without a scope though. Might catch it on some branches, but worth it for the money I think.

Just wanted to share what I found to be an exciting and relatively thrifty buy.

This is my first .50 cal - my other long gun is an old pre-83? CVA .45 "Kentucky" - though it looks more like a full stock Plains Rifle at a (very) long distance.

Rodney

Rodney, welcome to the forum. Looks like a good find to start the muzzleloading game with.

What is that thing on top of the barrel?
Great condescending welcome to a new forum member. Guy says he didn’t care for scopes, but you couldn’t help yourself, could you? Maybe time for a ‘why are we losing members’ topic? No, wait, we just had one of those.

Rodney, again welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of friendly and helpful advice here. Mixed in with an occasional troll comment that you can just ignor.

Rodney, welcome to the forum. Looks like a good find to start the muzzleloading game with.

Rodney, again welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of friendly and helpful advice here. Mixed in with an occasional troll comment that you can just ignor.

Thanks for the welcome SDS! No worries, I can take a little razzin' as long as it's friendly. Was a bit hesitant right at first to post the picture with the giant black scope attached, lol. But a search turned up a couple or more threads about scopes, so I figured it would be OK. I like open sights and have shot with them since I was young. Going to take the mounts off here in a bit. :)

Rules here are fairly simple. Pre 1865 muzzleloaders are discussed. You can read the official rules for more detail and possible exceptions.

Question for you. Where are you from? Not noted in your profile. You do mention your age.... younger than me. But no location.

Rules here are fairly simple. Pre 1865 muzzleloaders are discussed. You can read the official rules for more detail and possible exceptions.

Question for you. Where are you from? Not noted in your profile. You do mention your age.... younger than me. But no location.

Northwest Arkansas - Bentonville area.

Welcome! Those older CVA hawkinish type rifles can be real shooters. My most accurate rifle (of more than 15) is an older CVA. Let us know how it does on paper. You a hunter or just like to plink? I am guilty of both.

Again welcome....:cool:

Welcome! Those older CVA hawkinish type rifles can be real shooters. My most accurate rifle (of more than 15) is an older CVA. Let us know how it does on paper. You a hunter or just like to plink? I am guilty of both.

Again welcome....:cool:

Thanks for the welcome! I haven't been out hunting in quite a few years, but I'd like to with this .50 cal - just seems fitting. I like to punch paper mostly. :)

What is that thing on top of the barrel?

Great condescending welcome to a new forum member. Guy says he didn’t care for scopes, but you couldn’t help yourself, could you? Maybe time for a ‘why are we losing members’ topic? No, wait, we just had one of those.

quote-honest-good-humor-is-the-oil-and-wine-of-a-merry-meeting-and-there-is-no-jovial-companionship-washington-irving-14-18-84.jpg

Howdy neighbor, I live just south of you in Fayetteville. Your new gun looks to have been taken care of. I bet it will shoot for you now that you took its suit off;). Welcome, I have to say this has been the most neighborly of sites that I've seen.

Howdy neighbor, I live just south of you in Fayetteville. Your new gun looks to have been taken care of. I bet it will shoot for you now that you took its suit off;). Welcome, I have to say this has been the most neighborly of sites that I've seen.

Howdy! Cool - you are close. I drink coffee at Mama Carmen's every Saturday morning along about 10:30 to 11:00. I got this rifle at Mountain Man last night after work (had been eyeballin' it for a couple weeks now) The price was right! I agree - folks here seem to be very willing to help too. I was glad to have stumbled upon a site that likes the traditional muzzleloading stuff. Thanks for the warm welcome Richochet! :)

Mountain Man, thats in my back yard, how did I let that one slip, just kidding. If Im up that way I will stop in Mama Carmens and visit! Enjoy

Cool! Look for a grey haired, white bearded portly fellow with suspenders! :) I meet another old white hair Veteran there on most occasions. You would be most welcome! :)

Welcome to this site/forum! I believe that you will like being here. I think that you did very well in getting that CVA for the price that you paid. I'm sure that it will shoot well for you. Speaking of Arkansas, I've bought black powder from Powder Inc., Fayetteville, I think; still in business? Nice people there.

Welcome to this site/forum! I believe that you will like being here. I think that you did very well in getting that CVA for the price that you paid. I'm sure that it will shoot well for you. Speaking of Arkansas, I've bought black powder from Powder Inc., Fayetteville, I think; still in business? Nice people there.

Hi Baxter! Thanks for the welcome! :) I googled "Powder, Inc." and it came up as a business in Clarksville rather than Fayetteville. But it appears they are still in business? and are "Master Distributor of Goex, Swiss and Schuetzen" - I had not heard of them before. Clarksville is a 2 hour drive (120 miles) from here. It would be worth the drive ($20 gas) if someone was going to pick up a fairly big load of BP (5 pounds?). The place where I bought my rifle sells Goex for $30/lb. I haven't shot BP in YEARS! I'm still working on my first 1 lb tin that I bought back in 1987, lol!!! But it is buried in a box WAY back in the back of the garage. :p I just recently bought a "jar"? of Triple 777 and a "jar" of Pyrodex P. I've never shot them before, but the BP packaging has changed so much since I last shot that I don't know if I have even seen any BP for sale locally. Seems like there was a ("contrived"? "planned"?) "shortage" a while back? I'm quickly getting CRS (can't remember stuff). I figured that I'd try some "fake" BP and see how I like it. I used to shoot 30gr (target) and 60gr (field) Goes in my 45 - I got third place in a shoot at Chief Black Dog's Trail in Oswego, KS many, many, many moons ago. That was a lot of fun.

Back