• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Just ordered a Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle! Please post pics of yours.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hatchet...patchboxes for these guns can be gotten from Track of the Wolf or Muzzleloader Builders Supply. I got mine from MBS because it was a little smaller version and actually the measurements for it were nearly identical to what looks to be used on the original in the pictures on Jim's website.

But be ready to make your own latch and lid spring. These kits seem to come with cheap dysfunctional garbage for those two parts. On another forum many here frequent, there is a sticky in their gun building section under metal working that has a great procedure for making a spring and latch for an SMR. It only took me 4 tries to get it right! :rolleyes: I'm no metal worker and finally found another article in a metallurgy site that talked about making springs and how a lot of metals won't have the right makeup to be a good spring no matter how well you do the process. 1070 Spring steel was recommended. Brownell's carries it.
Yes you're very right about the crappy metal used for the springs. Mine broke very easily and they didn't even replace it for free.

This is a Maple stocked SMR I built last year. It came out really nicely I think.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 101
I should probably get off my lazy butt, and start mine. It's been sitting in the crate since last June. I didn't have time during the summer, and now...

I'm getting nervous. 🙄
How are you that patient! I will probably tear into my kit way too fast! So I have to intentionally come at it as slow and steady!

Second from the bottom...
Second from the bottom...

View attachment 53398
That is the finest looking rifle I have seen. The stock looks like it is on fire. The barrel is long, and i have changed my mind now on the patchbox. I plan on building one next. Thinking about using Tracks early Tennessee because I can get it in 54 and I hunt a lot here in NC. Im sure the large caliber is not actually correct but will do the job that I am after. I was thinking of a 36 inch barrel but seeing this has changed my mind on that as well. I love the iron furniture on these rifles. So 42" inches and the patch box it is! Thanks for posting, the rest is beautiful as well, more ideas for my display...

You can't go wrong with a .45 caliber rifle. Good for deer if reasonable limits are kept and will get the job done on squirrels without too much damage. I am jealous. Hope it ships sooner than 2 months.

Built this one last fall it is 36 cal very accurate

Attachments

• 8747FD17-A1A2-4D01-A2E6-ECA1FB2F0692.jpeg
    8747FD17-A1A2-4D01-A2E6-ECA1FB2F0692.jpeg
    217.4 KB · Views: 48
The quality and sheer beauty of these rifles pictured is a tribute to both Jim Kibler for making a quality product and to you guys who have done such a great job building them.

Back