• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Just ordered a Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle! Please post pics of yours.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20190707_143214.jpg

Hatchet...patchboxes for these guns can be gotten from Track of the Wolf or Muzzleloader Builders Supply. I got mine from MBS because it was a little smaller version and actually the measurements for it were nearly identical to what looks to be used on the original in the pictures on Jim's website.

But be ready to make your own latch and lid spring. These kits seem to come with cheap dysfunctional garbage for those two parts. On another forum many here frequent, there is a sticky in their gun building section under metal working that has a great procedure for making a spring and latch for an SMR. It only took me 4 tries to get it right! :rolleyes: I'm no metal worker and finally found another article in a metallurgy site that talked about making springs and how a lot of metals won't have the right makeup to be a good spring no matter how well you do the process. 1070 Spring steel was recommended. Brownell's carries it.

Hatchet...patchboxes for these guns can be gotten from Track of the Wolf or Muzzleloader Builders Supply. I got mine from MBS because it was a little smaller version and actually the measurements for it were nearly identical to what looks to be used on the original in the pictures on Jim's website.

But be ready to make your own latch and lid spring. These kits seem to come with cheap dysfunctional garbage for those two parts. On another forum many here frequent, there is a sticky in their gun building section under metal working that has a great procedure for making a spring and latch for an SMR. It only took me 4 tries to get it right! :rolleyes: I'm no metal worker and finally found another article in a metallurgy site that talked about making springs and how a lot of metals won't have the right makeup to be a good spring no matter how well you do the process. 1070 Spring steel was recommended. Brownell's carries it.
Great information thank you!

Back