• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Just ordered a Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle! Please post pics of yours.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You couldn't have made a better choice of rifle/caliber if your life had depended on it. I'm jealous.
Thanks @hanshi that's reassuring to know I made a good choice for once ;). I was on the path of the Colonial Rifle for quite a while but I finally factored in that a 9+ pound rifle was not something my old back could deal with especially all day at the range! This SRM in .45 is supposed to weigh 6 lb 10 oz which should be very comfortable to shoot all day.

It might go a smidge lighter even. My maple stocked SMR with large toe plate, bean style patchbox, nose cap, side plate, and oversized pipes comes in at 6lbs 9. It carries like a broomstick.... I did reshape the stock a bit but not enough to matter. If I remember right maple and walnut weighs about the same. Sugar maple weighs a tad more.

Last winter's project. Interchangeable barrels in .40 and .50.

1607552689398.png

1607552707034.png

Nice and that Cherry will darken with age right? How did you patina your metal?

Beautiful! Is your metal in the White and just nicely aging or did you patina it?
Jack the cherry will darken and already has some. I just used an oil finish on the wood as i love the way cherry ages over time. As for the metal i used Kibler's brass darkening solution but it tended to rub off more then i expected. Most of what you see is the start of natural patina.

I just pulled the trigger on a Jim Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle .45 Cal kit! It will ship in 2 months. Let's see some pics of your SMR!
It will ship in 2 months. Good luck with that. I ordered the exact same one in June, and now Katherine is telling me it will be a few weeks yet!

It will ship in 2 months. Good luck with that. I ordered the exact same one in June, and now Katherine is telling me it will be a few weeks yet!
She told me they are shipping wait time is about 2 months. Did she offer an explanation on why yours has been delayed?

I put this one together a while back, .32. The sad thing is the rear sight dovetail is too far back for me and my 73 year old eyes. This a kit that someone bought and couldn't put together, I bought it at a bargain and had no say so on where the rear sight was placed. The rear sight is completely blurry to me so I haven't shot the gun more than a half dozen times.

I made a peep for my deer rifle that works well, one for my Kibler will be in the works soon so I can shoot it.

My SMR;
kibler best side.JPG

Peep on my .54;
peep done mounted.JPG

I put this one together a while back, .32. The sad thing is the rear sight dovetail is too far back for me and my 73 year old eyes. This a kit that someone bought and couldn't put together, I bought it at a bargain and had no say so on where the rear sight was placed. The rear sight is completely blurry to me so I haven't shot the gun more than a half dozen times.

I made a peep for my deer rifle that works well, one for my Kibler will be in the works soon so I can shoot it.

My SMR;
View attachment 53635

Peep on my .54;
View attachment 53636
I really like that Peep sight. My vision is not what it used to be so that might be something I need to add. Also thanks I might contact Kibler and tell them not to Dovetail my barrel so I can place the rear sight where I can "see it".

The sad thing is the rear sight dovetail is too far back for me and my 73 year old eyes. ...had no say so on where the rear sight was placed.

Peep on my .54;
View attachment 53636

I just got an SMR kit a few weeks ago and it was something I asked Jim before I ordered....could the barrel be sent with NO rear dovetail. Answer was NO. I wanted to dovetail mine at 12"....his standard pre-done dovetail is 11" on that barrel. I figured that was close enough. It's a tad more blurry than at 12", but I think it will work OK. If not, a peep will be on the gun in short order.

NOW...for your peep design, which I really like. Question though...it appears to only have one screw or "locking" point, so am I missing another hidden point that locks it down and if not, what keeps it from being bumped side to side?

Yep, one screw, if you hit it hard enough it will move. It is easy to move it back where it is supposed to be but I have it screwed down really tight to keep it in place. The neat thing is, if I shoulder the gun, put my face on the cheekpiece and the front blade isn't perfectly centered in the notch of the rear sight I know the sight had been knocked off sideways.

I built the gun with a try stock for my exact measurements, I can close my eyes and shoulder the gun and the sights will be in perfect alignment when I open my eyes. The peep is adjusted to do the same.

The one in the picture is a prototype on a fine shooting but somewhat worn and bruised gun. I kind of hate to drill another hole through the tang for a second stabilizing screw but might have to if this peep becomes a permanent fixture on the gun.

This metal was all I had ,1/8", much too thick, bending it to fit the tang and have the right elevation for the peep was a pain. If you make one use thinner metal.

Back