• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just inherited a pretty awesome rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of curiosity, have you checked the bore and rifling? Without dry firing on the nipple, have you checked the lock and trigger function? There's a fairly old stock repair, do you have any intention of trying to shoot someday? Sure would be cool to shoot your great-great-grandpappy's gun.

Yea I plan to shoot it, my uncle said it was shot not long ago and was easily still in fireable condition. I got the horn, thimble and bullet mold with the rifle

You would be better advised to not shoot it.
But if you insist use nothing but real black powder.
Pryodex is too corrosive and 777 is too "hot"
For your safety it should be proved before firing.

Dan

That's really neat to inherit a gun like that. You'll love exploring the past and you'll learn a lot during your search. Enjoy it, take good care of it and it will last to your great-grandson. :hatsoff:

Looks like it had a different lock at one time. the current lock looks too small for the original inlet. Maybe a flintlock converted to a caplock? I also would not trust that nail holding the lock in position to stay during firing, the lock or the nail might go flying off somewhere!. Neat rifle though!.

I somebody at some point mentioned it was converted but when I asked they said it was always cap? So your saying that spikes my interest again lol my uncle said he shot it not ling ago and was gonna shoot it again when I'm ready. I just wanna fire it once before it's locked in my safe for years lol

armakiller said:
Looks like it had a different lock at one time. the current lock looks too small for the original inlet. Maybe a flintlock converted to a caplock?
I noticed that myself.

It appears to be a late percussion lock commonly available at hardware stores and some gunsmith shops. The front of the plate has been crudely ground to "fit", probably by an owner on a tight budget rather than a professional gunsmith. This replacement could have been done as the 1920s but most likely dates to the 1880s or '90s or thereabouts. It was done to keep the gun useable for a while longer; someone thought well of it.

It is a neat old gun with good family history, you are lucky to have it Yellermellon, I am sure that you will take good care of it. :applause:

Your correct, this is a common working gun probably assembled with parts from different sources. We think of the term "cottage industry" as a 60s hippy thing, but this was used in Europe in the 1800s by the weapons industry. I was totally unaware of this until one day sitting in the office at the Museum of the Fur Trade with Charles E. Hanson, Jr. Charley used the term several times, I'm lost and ask why the "cottage industry" term?

He explains that in the late part of the 18th century into the early part of the 19th century in Europe the different towns became suppliers of gun parts as well as other goods. One group were cutters of wood, dried and sold for stocks, while another town made locks, and so on. Another group would assemble the parts into a complete product. This was "cottage industry" at its finest.

Your in Philadelphia, Boston or a southern town, have a hardware store and want guns to sell. You contact an agent here in one of the bigger cities like those mentioned. If you buy a current number of his wares they will put your store name on them.

A good example is the "Tryon" weapons, Tryon was located and still is in Philadelphia PA. They're a hardware firm, dist. of equipment, etc. When Charley used this as an example it brought back memories from 20 years before. My family had a power outdoor equipment shop 20 miles out of Philly. I use to go to Tryon to pickup "Lawn Boy" lawnmowers as they were the dist., while waiting for our order to be filled I would look into the office of Joe Tryon and could see a pair of long guns hanging on the wall. One day I asked about them and was invited into the office to look at them. Joe told me they had been hanging there as long as he could remember even as a little boy (he's now in his 70s). He said they were one of their first ventures at the "cottage industry" items available from over seas.

Your gun is probably a very good chance one of the "cottage industry" items available to dealers world wide. Look at Dixie Gun Works Antique catalog or one of the auction houses that deal in antique weapons on the Internet and you'll find ones that come real close or match yours. This will also show you a current value on your gun.

"I got the original horn, thimble and bullet mold"

I can't believe there hasn't been any response to this added information, maybe it just flew by while everyone was thinking about the rifle.

I know I'd LOVE to see a photo or two of the original horn and the mold too! Do we know what calibre this rifle might be?

nchawkeye - would that "circular" cheek piece be any kind of clue? To me, the circle arc looks too perfect for it to be a homemade addition. I don't recall ever seeing anything like it on any stock before.

Does this strike anyone else?

Back