• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just inherited a pretty awesome rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yellermelon

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm not real educated when it comes to these rifles. Unfortunatly my grandfather recently past away, while visiting my grandmother today I was given a rifle. All that was told is that it originally belonged to my grandfathers grandfather, and he passed away In the late 1800s. I'd love to know more about my family heirloom but have no idea where to start. This rifle only has one stamp on it, two letters followed by a number. If anyone can offer some insight that would be great!
I am accessing these forums using my cellphone so I'm not sure if I can post pictures.

Welcome to the Forum. :)

In order to post pictures you must first join a photo storing web site like Photobucket.
Then you upload your pictures to your account that site. (It is best to crop them or reduce their overall size so they don't exceed 900 pixels first).

Once that is done, each picture on the Photobucket account will have a selectable title that starts with IMG or IMAGE. Copy that address, come here and Paste it into your post.

For a better explanation, follow this link: http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/255033/

Now, getting back to your new rifle it is impossible to give you an answer without seeing photos of the gun. It could be almost anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had no idea photobucket made it where you can email pics from your mobile phone! Anyway here's a quick pic if you could tell more with close ups let me know but this should get things started
1332133374.jpg

Interesting looking rifle. Looks to be a Plains rifle of sorts. Any way to get some close ups of the markings, lock, sights? Picture came out a bit dark. Any history other than who it belonged to? what part of the country do You hail from?

I would recommend taking your pics outside in indirect sunlight, no flash. As the other gentleman said, clear closeups in those locations will help greatly in identifying your heirloom.

I'm thinking Southern style, also known as a Southern Poorboy, just a plain jane work horse. Maybe 1850-1860ish. If you could give a location where your great great granddad lived, that would help, as these Poorboys were very similar all over the eastern part of the country.

I have some pics of some Southern rifles from Georgia. The style is very similar, but the trigger guards are slightly different, trigger guards being a regional and period indicator.

If the caliber is small, say 40 cal or smaller, that would at least tell us it was probably made east of the Miss river. I don't think it's a plains rifle. I'm leaning toward the Southern influence. Bill

Here is a Philadelphia Plains rifle with a similar trigger guard
h0238.jpg

and a Leman Plains Rifle in .40 Cal
9302259_1.jpg

Where as Trigger guard and caliber May say made in the Southeast, there are exceptions to every rule. Markings would be the best indicator, in My honest opinion....

Well, now I gotta know. I hope I'm at least close. :surrender: :rotf:

My goodness, that Philadephia rifle is BEAUTIFUL! Bill

Sitting here awaiting more pictures Myself, Bill. That PA rifle was a beauty. Sold for $9,700....I guess the buyer thought so also...

My family is from the mountains of north Carolina so you guys defiantly got that right! Also being a plain Jane workhorse fits the bill to a t. After work I'll get some pics ouside. Hard using a cell phone! Thanks for all the help so far I'll post those pics tonight!

I'm with Snowdragon; my impression was of a Southern Appalachian rifle. Disregarding the tg, the stock is what made up my "mind". The tg could have come from a parts gun. :hmm:

Yellermelon said:
This rifle only has one stamp on it, two letters followed by a number. If anyone can offer some insight that would be great!
Well, I'm still trying to guess what those letters and number might be, but there are a lot of combinations. Perhaps you could tell us? :wink:

Here's a few pictures. I learned today the number was a gimmick my grandfather bought into, something about chief of police and the number helping find the gun if it was ever stolen. Also I think it may have been refinished sone point in it's life, the finish on the metal isn't like anything I've seen before. I have a few other pictures but my phone keeps refreshing before I can paste them all on here haha

1332194680.jpg

1332194664.jpg

1332194617.jpg

I think that trigger guard will be our best clue...

I'm in NC as well and have a few books on NC rifles, give me a few days and let me see if I can find any similar...

They say that leaving these old guns alone is best and removing later finishes takes away from it's history, but if this one were mine that black wrinkle paint would go as well as the paint on the lock. Common paint stripper like zip strip would do the job. It's caustic, but I suspect that wrinkle paint was done in the 60s or 70s and needs to go. You might even find a signature under that. It just doesn't look right and this gun could be very nice looking. Of course remove the barrel and lock before stripping them and immediately afterward oil them well. I know this post will quickly be followed by others saying to leave it alone and that's fine. This is just my 2 cents and to be taken for what it is worth. It's a cool rifle and it's history in your family makes it even cooler. Sorry
for your loss.

Thanks for your thoughts, I believe I will just leave it as is. I realize it probably kills the value... I'd much rather have it with the original blue on it but if my grandfather seen fit to coat it in the 60s or 70s that's just how I'll keep it, and pass it on.
And the person that posted from nc, that would be awesome! I'm just trying to fill in as much info on the rifle as I can, seems it's been passed down with not much as far as history but more as a ol' family gun that they just want kept in the family. I feel very privalidged to have a rifle such as this as my own!
Thanks for everyones replies and help!

Latest posts

Back