• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just in:

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve eaten horse and donkey. I found it pretty tasty. You could say it was beefy like deer is beefy or muttony. It tasted like horse, I would say closer in flavor to mutton then beef but is very good
I understand it remains very popular in France.
That story makes a lot sense. I know there are you tube vids of Irish people tasting food from all around the world. One is tasting ‘Irish Food’ guinness was the only thing they recognized.
Immigrants coming to America in the nineteenth century suddenly had more meat in their diet in a month then a year back home. By WW1 Americans coming to Europe were ‘giants’, taller and heavier then the average European.

Where you referring to what I wrote ?
Yes, that story sounds believable. In just ten years horse traffic in us cities was almost completely eliminated. A glut of horses no one needed any more.
In the movie “the Revenant” DeCaprio is hungry and tired, sleeps in a horse belly to get warm, but the next day leaves a thousand pounds of meat on the ground. Such an idiot deserves to die in the woods.

Yes, that story sounds believable. In just ten years horse traffic in us cities was almost completely eliminated. A glut of horses no one needed any more.
In the movie “the Revenant” DeCaprio is hungry and tired, sleeps in a horse belly to get warm, but the next day leaves a thousand pounds of meat on the ground. Such an idiot deserves to die in the woods.

:thumb:

Alas with what is going on with the corona virus who knows what we will be eating, keep your powder dry you may need it. I figure about $1.00 worth of lead, powder, patches and $5.00 or so for gas, I can feed the me my family and the neighbors for a bit.

The latest incidence of horse meat ending up in corned beef that I could find was in 2013 in England.

Since 2017 the Trump administration has tried twice to lift the ban on horse meat in the U.S

I think that's because it was labelled "beef", not because the folks ate horse. Horse is still sold as meat in France, for example.

The American ban on horse meat was, I was taught, because when the tetanus vaccine was first produced, it was produce using horses. Folks eating horse meat in their diet would have a reaction when given the vaccine. Supposedly this was a problem when American tetanus booster shots were given to European allies during the Korean War. Tetanus vaccine in their home countries was done with other animals.

The ban on the use of horse in human food was maintained until today because it was thought that certain breeds of horses in the US might be slaughtered as a meat source if the ban were lifted, and would become extinct or at least endangered, or so the information I found, goes.

LD

Horses are also seen as pet like. Cowboys and Amish/Mennonites still use working horses, but 90% of saddle time today is done for fun. You can butcher a hog but not your dog, or a chicken but not a parrots.
In France you can find the first human communities. Strings of permanently occupied caves along a summer winter migration route. Horse seems to be the preferred big game animal. Twenty thousand years later ‘Dinner’ became ‘Blackie’ or ‘Filicka’ even ‘Bosepheus’

Dogs are eaten in some countries and actual breed for the market. It is just a matter of where you live and the standards that you have been exposed to while growing up.

DOG MAKES A MEAL.JPG

"Dog makes a fine meal."

LD

It was a cute little dog. I’m a little dog fan. Have a Yorkie, Chihuahua, and a yorkie French bull dog mix. I admit it ima softy with them puppies.

It was a cute little dog. I’m a little dog fan. Have a Yorkie, Chihuahua, and a yorkie French bull dog mix. I admit it ima softy with them puppies.

That reminds me of “Three Dog Night” !

ApPETizer -Chihuahua Salsa & Chips. Main Course- New Yorkie Strips with French (bull dog) Fries! Lol

Back