• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just In Case......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 48679

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm almost finished fashioning this presentation case for the Uberti Model 1849 I recently purchased from another board member through our classifieds.

OEs0miPl.jpg
CRVSUq3l.jpg

I obtained/added the accoutrements

Suggestion, do a search for repro cap cans or labels I think the C.C.I. can looks out of place, otherwise very nice.

I'm almost finished fashioning this presentation case for the Uberti Model 1849 I recently purchased from another board member through our classifieds.

I obtained/added the accoutrements

Nice case, would love to see a picture rich tutorial complete with materials list on building that style of case.

I loaned my camera to my Son, so after I get it back, I'll do just that with another case I'm noodling out.

This is how I build a case (YMMV) :

For materials, choosing what kind of wood I want to use, I gather enough 3/16" thick X 24" L x 3" W boards from Hobby Lobby (or other national chain store) to make the partitions, along with two larger 12"x12" sheets (depending upon the size of the gun the case's for) to make the case top/bottom, four 8-1/2" x 11" sheets of colored felt (over 20 colors to choose from) for the interior, a set of 2 small brass hinges, a closure latch, and some wood adhesive for the case body and tacky glue to hold down the felt.

Once I put together the 4 walls and the top/bottom, I slice off the "top" about a 1/2" down from the top/sides juncture.

Using the gun I'm making the case for as a guide/template, I position it inside the floor section to where I want it then trace around it onto the inside of the bottom panel with a lead pencil. Ditto for the flask, cap box, and an old-style ball mould.

Once all the outlines are traced into the bottom, I use a small steel straightedge & the pencil to make a bunch of dual lines ( 1/8" apart) between the gun/flask/etc positions to mark where the partitions will be going.

After that, it's a matter of cutting/fitting the partitions (marking them with location within the case), gluing pieces of felt cut for each wall to cover that wall's top/sides from the bottom of the partition on one side, and over the top to the bottom of the other side, in one piece - leaving a bare wood edge on the bottom of each partition for gluing to the floor of the case.

The partitions are glued to the case floor and to each other, going along section by section

A paper template for the floor inside each section is then assembled (scissors/Scotch tape) & used for cutting out the various felt floor sections.

The next to last step is finishing the outside of the case, including the top edges of the four outer case body walls.

The last step is to install the hinges & closure hardware.

Warning: let the adhesives used in making the lining dry/cure thoroughly (I wait a few days) before placing the gun inside for more than a minute or two - upon pain of having the fumes destroy the finish on the areas where the gun touched the felt ( BT, DT - NTS)

Last edited:
Very nice work! I’ve got an old case that needs new felt. I’ve never done this before. What adhesive are you using?

I use TiteBond or Elmer's waterproof wood glue to assemble the case body (whatever I have on hand) and either Gorilla Glue spray adhesive or Tacky Glue for the felt lining - all available @ a craft store or WallyWorld.

Let the adhesive dry for a day or so after applying the felt before putting a gun into the case for more than a minute - I've had adhesive fumes remove bluing on the gun where it touched the installed felt.

Wear disposable gloves when handling/applying the felt.... and please let us know how you make out. :)

S288612.jpg

Latest posts

Back