• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just How Fortunate Are We?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMA65

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Yesterday I shot my 1851 Navy .36 cal quite a bit. I decided to really clean the gun better than I ever had before by taking it completely apart. Thank you Mike Belliveau for your informative videos.
I torn it down and soaked everything in hot water with a squirt of Dawn. Next, Ballistol, followed with a real good brushing with a strong toothbrush. Then, a strong rod and jag with patches wiped the bore spotless. Then a Magnatip screw driver with three different tips was utilized to remove all the internal parts. Those tips were hollow ground. You need real good lighting to do so of the reassembly. Before the nipples were reinserted they were properly lubricated. The arbor was greased slightly. Finally, after the gun was completely reassembled and wiped down. Now in sits in a moisture controlled environment.
The whole procedure got me to thinking about how blessed we are. Yes, every time I load up and shoot this gun, I have flash backs to Wild Bill, or some soldier at Shiloh, or even Greasy Grass. I was cleaning my revolver in dry, air conditioned, well lite surroundings, with the best chemicals money can buy, and wonderful, magnetized tools. I even had hot water and Dawn and a real toothbrush. Blessed, you bet. But what about that lawman, soldier and homesteader whose life depended upon that trigger causing his/her gun to go bang, every time? I can imagine that something as simple as hot water would have been a luxury, much less the 19th Century equivalent of Ballistol.
I learned yesterday that it is not just loading and shooting and smelling the smoke that makes me identify with the ghostly assemblage of those who used these weapons in a bygone day. Even the cleanup causes me to remember and give thanks.

I'm always awed by how easy and simple it is to take care of our guns, and how we in the modern era tend to over complicate it.

Life in the middle to later 19th century wasn't as "primitive" as we or even Hollywood would have us think.
Even taking care of your gun on the frontier wasn't all that different than cleaning them on a hunting trip today.

I don't carry my revolvers excep hone and range. They don't go on treks or to events with me. At home I can get hot water from a tap, in the field or event warm from a sun heated canteen or cup by the fire serves as well. On my back porch or under a tree it's all the same for me.

Back