• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Just getting started

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fallin Honker

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hey Guys

I'm looking for some advice on where to start. I have never owned a muzzle loader. But really don't know where to start. Id like to buy a percussion cap shot gun and rifle . i don't want to break the bank. I was thinking a Hawken knock off but don't see as many options for shotguns that aren't really expensive. But i may also not be looking in the right places. Any advice would be great

Thanks

Welcome. If it's not too late...run! Save yourself from the curse you are invoking upon yourself.

Don't see much for ML shotguns myself but they are about. Personally not in the market which is likely why I don't notice them. Hawken copies is all I've owned, just fancy them.

For a rifle, Traditions has a good reputation and can be modest in price. TC is well regarded but tends to be a bit pricier. Google searching, gun shops, auctions, classified ads. Unfortunately buying new will cost you but you would have something that shouldn't have any hidden warts. Pays your money, takes your chances.

Fifty cal is what I'd recommend to start. Just seems to be easiest to find stuff for in stores. Target or hunting?

Canada doesn't have any truly great online shopping in my mind. Rustywood is well regarded, never shopped there myself. The are a lot of shops in the U.S. I personally recommend Track of The Wolf or The Gun Works for all your bits and bobs.

Where abouts you at?

Hey yonderin

Thank you for the advise . i have never been much into target shooting. So i am more looking for hunting firearms. Seems like it might just take me some time to find what i need at a decent price. I am neat kingston ontario.

I will say I have owned a Traditions Kentucky, TC Hawkins and a Layman Great Plains Rifle all in no the last 1 1/2 years. All percussion and .50 cal. The balance and feel of the Traditions Kentucky and the Layman are my favorite. I would personally buy a GPR over the others as a new shooter. Great gun. Also being able to remove the barrel for cleaning is just easy.

I found a used tc hawken $395. Blueing has gone grey and there is some rust right inside the bore. Walk away? Decent price. Im not looking for a tack driver but dont want to struggle hitting a 4x8 sheet of plywood

Some folks have reported decent results with less than perfect bores. Who knows? If you can't get it for a price you're comfortable with, another bus will be along.

If you can have a personal inspection, run a patched jag into the barrel. If it's smooth the whole way, that's a good start. A borescope or some way of lighting the bore from the breech as well.

Welcome. Check (very often as they go quick) Canadian gunnutz site in the exchange. There was just a nice TC Hawken 50 for $350! sold quick though. Shotguns are more scarce and pricey. Just got a Traditions Deer hunter for my SIL off Gunnutz for $250.00. Cabela's Canada has the traditions Kentucky 50 cal kits for $500. in stock on line. I have the flintlock version and its a very nice rifle. Kits in Canada have been tough to get as well.
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/1174...on-muzzleloader-do-it-yourself-kit?CatId=2542

Traditions has a decent reputation, I'm not aware of any ongoing or major issues with the brand. But I've not researched them to any great degree. Ask for input in the General Muzzleloading section.

For a brand new rifle, strikes me as a decent price.

I'm fairly new to ML as well. I recently purchased a T/C Hawken .50 flintlock in near perfect condition for $400cdn + $50 shipping, Three years ago I bought a Browning JBMR .50 percussion. The seller included so many extras, the rifle cost me well under $200. If you are patient great deals on used MLs are out there.
Something to think about...there is currently a shortage of percusion caps which may last into 2024. You might want to consider a flinter.
I found the the Browning on Gunpost and the T/C on Townpost. Interesting posts on Gunpost this morning, including shotguns...
Good luck

The gun you might want... if you can find it... is a T/C New Englander with a 12 gauge barrel and either a .50 or .54 rifled barrel. Only disadvantage I can see is maybe not having a set trigger. This is not very important to a hunter though.

I just grabbed a NIB traditions Kentucky 50 cal kit of Canadian Gunnutz for a good price. Going to use all but the barrel to make my poor man’s trade rifle with the 54 cal smoothbore barrel I have coming from Colerain.

The Gun Room in Waterloo sometimes has used muzzleloaders for sale on their website. They’re also a Pedersoli dealer. That’s where I get my Goex
You could even handle a piece your interested in if you fancied a 4 hour drive.

Latest posts

Back