• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just gettin started

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay Gardner

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This looks like a great place to get a lot of questions answered. I am about to purchase my first ML and plan to get a Lyman GPH or GPR, but can not decide to go with the faster twist for conicals or slower for RB. I will use the gun almost exclusivly for hunting whitetail deer in Michigan and Indiana. Thoughts?

Here is the kicker: there is a gentleman in Union City, Indiana who has made some incredible Hawken reporoductions. Should I get started with a Lyman before spending $$$$$ for one of his custom guns or just take the plung.

Thanks.

The Lyman guns are good entry level guns at a good price....it would be a good way to "test" the waters as to your interest in the sport... use round balls,there is no need to put modern bullets down a traditional type ML to take deer, if one feels the need to use this type of projectile a modern in-line type of gun would be the better choice.

Follow-up question: can I shoot a ball effectivly through a 1/28 twist Lyman GPH? In other words, is that more versitile?

Doublegun, I've hunted and killed a number of deer with an old 50 cal. Lyman Trade Rifle using a round ball and black powder. I have never had a problem with a quick, clean kill out to 125 yds. I've also taken black bear and Grizzly in my younger and dumber days with the same rifle (black bear is fine, don't advise grizzly unless you are totally insane like I was). Try traditional round ball, then if you don't like it or want the option of conicals you can get a Green Mountian drop in barrel for not a lot of money and have it both ways. Just my humble opinion, Rick.

Typically the GPH and guns with such a fast twist will not do well with a ball, they were specifically designed to shoot todays modern design bullets.

What about the Austin Halleck Mountian Rifle? They look beautiful. What is a good price for one of their precussion guns?

Austin Halleck Mountain Rifles:
http://www.austinhalleck.com/AH-Mountain.html

1/66 twist: Mountain Rifle .50 cal Percussion-32" Ball Barrel-Standard Stock $589.00.

1/28 twist: Mountain Rifle .50 cal Percussion-32" Bullet Barrel-Standard Stock $589.00.
mtnpf.jpg

These guys have it for $475.00
grin.gif

http://www.bow-gun-hunting-sports.com/ausp.htm

Although this was posted about a month ago, I didn't get into camp until last nite so here's my 2 cents worth.
The 1;60 twists work great with round balls while the 1;48 twist .50 cal works pretty good with either round balls or sabots. The 1:28 or faster twist only works well with sabots or other conicals.
I'm sure you already knew all this but what some people don't stop to think about is Round Balls are CHEAP! Sabots and the fancy pistol/rifle bullets are not cheap. In fact they are rather pricy.

To keep hunting as humane as possible (and I don't know any hunters who don't want a quick kill) accuracy is the prime ingredient and the only way to really get good with a new rifle is to shoot it a lot.
With round balls this is downright cheap to do while with fancy conicals and sabots it can run into a lot of money. I have seen people come out to the range and shoot 5-10 shots in their new sabot shooters hitting paper at 50 yards and decide they better not burn up all of their expensive ammo so they leave. That of course is not the way to do things.

A .495 dia round ball weighs about 165 grains, and even with a 55 grain FFg target load it has a muzzle velocity of over 1550 FPS. If you use a 80 grain FFg load it's moving over 2000 FPS and it pokes a 1/2 inch hole in whatever it hits. Being pure lead it also expands easily transfering all of its energy to the game. That's why out to 100 yards it knocks down an animal as good as or even better than modern HP rifles.
The only drawback of the round ball is it looses velocity fast. For that reason I think 100 yards is about max for them but with iron sights and the adrenaline pumping in the heat of the hunt I think most peoples ability to cleanly hit the vital zone on game is about maxed out at 100 yards too.
Go with the round ball gun.
Happy Shooting

Doublegun:
I second Rick's and Jim's opinion. They said it best so I won't repeat their points but I will add another advantage of the round ball not mentioned. You can NOT use a conical type bullet in an NMLRA sanctioned rifle match at most club's shoots unless you're using a musket (civil war, etc). And even then it must be the minnie ball type. You will do yourself the biggest favor if you'll find yourself a local muzzle loading club and join or at the least attend a few shooting events. These guys are the best people and know everything about the sport and how to do it inexpensively. Once you start to participate with these people you'll learn much more in a short period of time and have fun while doing it!
grin.gif
Go ROUND.
wink.gif
By the way, for the money I like the GPR. I put a kit together many moons ago and it is a tack driver. It has put a many of blue ribbons in my pocket.

Latest posts

Back