• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Just finished; Twined Bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Einsiedler

40 Cal.
Reaction score
First one I’ve done in about 15 years. Had to get my mojo back. What I had left of natural dyed wool yarn. This one is for a friend.
AD68E2E6-35CE-46BC-85A6-34D67EAF2459.jpeg

I remember my grandma keeping a small block of camphor in her yarn basket.
That and naphtha in her closets.

I'll never forget the "aromas".

I'm anxious to to see one or two more once your restocked!

Einsiedler, the quality of your workmanship and the depth of your knowledge astonishes me. All of those items show the highest levels of skill, as well as creativity tempered with adherence to traditional style.

This is the kind of stuff we like (and need!) to see.

Have you done any work with buffalo wool? Larry Belitz (the brain tan guy) used to sell small bags of twined buffalo wool. These were apparently not uncommon in buffalo country, but survival of these artifacts is poor due to their fragility and susceptibility to bugs. There are also several very old sets of midwestern (primarily Sauk & Fox) leg bands "out there," made of blue and white pony beads woven with buffalo wool yarn. I've been thinking of attempting a couple of projects involving buffalo wool yarn, but it ain't easy to find, and there is no way my level of craftsmanship would come anywhere close to yours!

Thanks for posting!

Notchy Bob

I would love to get some bison wool yarn. I used to get all my yarn from Susan Wallace when she had Silver Shuttle. But last time I bought anything from her was upwards of 16 years ago and since I cannot find anything on her I’m sure she is out of the business. She was a very nice lady but getting up there in years. I could always depend on her to have a good selection. I would hand pick yarn from her at Fort Toulouse or Ft. St. Jean Baptiste when she would be there.

I seem to remember that L&C had difficulty trying to trade or buy twined bags while out on the Corps of Discovery. They apparently were really attached to their twined items.

Your tension on the bag is outstanding. I wove a few bags last year but nothing compared to your beauties! I love the pillow tick lining too. Keep creating!

Latest posts

Back