• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Just finished my first matchlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not alot of info. The barrel was from a trade gun I made years ago and never really liked. Added a piece of metal to the muzzle so o could bell it a bit. The stock was the cheapest piece of straight grained maple I could find. Everything else I made from scrap metal I had in my shop. The whole thing cost me about 40 bucks.

I havent got to the range yet. Work keeps getting in the way. As soon as I do I'll post the results.

Nice job! Welcome to the League of Hemp Burners.

The buttstock/lever combo looks like an early style. What were you aiming for?

Please do report back on your first shots.

I built that one on rhe cheap. The only thing I had to buy was the wood. Everything else was scrap from my shop.

rifleshooter2 ,very nice. I have one I've been putzzing with on and off for most of the winter. It,s great for using up the time. Us old folks have some of that .

My matchcord will be here soon. I cant wait to get her to the range. Im thinking I might give it a try for deer.

I do like your build, R-S!
I like the buttstock shaping, looks very right with its angles and all.

I used to get my hemp twine from Susan Wallace, at Silver shuttle. (Came in 110 yard balls)
Some I boiled in wood ashes, and some in wood ash/gunpowder mix, and they both worked well, but the gunpowder mix would catch sparks very readily, if you didn't rub it well to get the charcoal off it. (or rinse it well, and I didn't)

You can also use those "horseshoe" fungi that grow on the bases of trees.
Just dry them and slice up. the best part is the cork-like part with no spores. It will hold a Very hot coal and burn at a steady rate.
You can get a good supply of these in no time in aspen or birch woods.
Tinder-locks used these, and that's where they get their name. (In Swedish,...."Mushroom lock"!)

"Swamples lit"

P-B.

Back