• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Just dont give up!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I’m going to try to dispose of another wives tale.
if you have a modern production ML barrel, by a reputable maker, it in no way should require 100-150 shots to “shoot in”.
If it did, I wouldn’t use it. Can you imagine…… here’s your new gun, I just finished, it won’t shoot well for at least 100 rounds.
No way!
This has got to be a remnant of another era.
Heres a good example. First 7 rounds out of a new Rice barrel.

View attachment 84284
If ever you end up with a new barrel that won't shoot as you like and hence as you say "you wouldn't shoot it", can you please send it to me. 👍

Well, I guess it was me then, but I noticed a difference in how my gun shoots after about 100 shots or so. I'm not suggesting it was putting out shotgun pattern groups at first, but the groups definitely got tighter after I had put a bunch of rounds through it. And this was after I had settled on a load that I found acceptable.

Being predominately a hunter where accuracy from a clean bore, and a second or third follow up is the most important attribute for me. I have been fortunate that this has been attainable by the selection of load parameters with most all of the muzzleloaders I have owned over the years. From an accuracy/precision standpoint I have not experienced the need to “run-in” any of my rifles used with PLRB’s for <2”, 3 shot groups at 50 yards from a clean bore without swabbing. The difference in barrel quality/finish has generally shown up in the ease of loading and the number of accurate shots experienced before swabbing is required, and, typically easier cleaning.

...and they will send it right back with a note that says "Within specifcations".:confused:
I can't say what a company will do but I had a friend that bought a well known brand of rifle touted to be a tack driver by the company. He told me it wouldn't keep a decent group. After checking it out I found a problem with the barrel. it was corrected.

I lean towards the idea that after 100 shots with a new gun, the shooter has been "learnt", as we say, to shoot THAT gun correctly. Barrels can certainly be defective, or have unpolished bores though. After 100 shots on the range in basic training, having never used an M-16, I did not assume that the rifle improved. But my familiarity with that particular weapon definitely did.

Theoretically, by applying the principles of marksmanship, one should be able to pick up any gun and shoot expert. However, just because I have been driving a standard transmission since I was a kid does not mean I can hop in any vehicle with a stick and go to town. Noticing a difference after 100 shoots COULD be the gun. But I lean toward the shooter.

But, hedging at every turn, to quote Delmar O'Donnell: "Okay... I'm with you fellers..."

I lean towards the idea that after 100 shots with a new gun, the shooter has been "learnt", as we say, to shoot THAT gun correctly. Barrels can certainly be defective, or have unpolished bores though. After 100 shots on the range in basic training, having never used an M-16, I did not assume that the rifle improved. But my familiarity with that particular weapon definitely did.

Theoretically, by applying the principles of marksmanship, one should be able to pick up any gun and shoot expert. However, just because I have been driving a standard transmission since I was a kid does not mean I can hop in any vehicle with a stick and go to town. Noticing a difference after 100 shoots COULD be the gun. But I lean toward the shooter.

But, hedging at every turn, to quote Delmar O'Donnell: "Okay... I'm with you fellers..."
I totally agree with you. My training was with the M14. We had a guy that just wasn't fit for the military. At the rifle range, he'd be hitting 4-5 targets to the left or right instead of the one in front of him....very dangerous fellow☠. Won't tell you what happened at the grenade range.
That being said, you are correct, it usually is operator error.

My son has a friend that builds custom modern rifles to order. He does the entire package including load development. He told us that he put at least 100 rounds downrange before even starting to develop a pet load for it. His experience is that for most rifles it takes about 100 before " it settles in and behaves" . He is a precision shooter that likes long range shooting.

I totally agree with you. My training was with the M14. We had a guy that just wasn't fit for the military. At the rifle range, he'd be hitting 4-5 targets to the left or right instead of the one in front of him....very dangerous fellow☠. Won't tell you what happened at the grenade range.
That being said, you are correct, it usually is operator error.

My son has a friend that builds custom modern rifles to order. He does the entire package including load development. He told us that he put at least 100 rounds downrange before even starting to develop a pet load for it. His experience is that for most rifles it takes about 100 before " it settles in and behaves" . He is a precision shooter that likes long range shooting.
10-4: Any new modern CF firearm yu buy, manufacturer will state fire 100-200 + rounds to break in firearm!

I respect the fellas work, but what if an airplane had to meet the same standards? Surely, something that is required to defy gravity, carry 200 folk, and has 10,000 moving parts is more complicated than a rifle? And can't afford to require a break in period? Machining is the science of getting it right straight off the bat. The voodoo side of our sport is half the fun, but we wouldn't have gone from the first steam engine to a drone-copter on Mars in 150 years if said voodoo was gospel. In a precision instrument the operator is the greatest variable.

10-4: Any new modern CF firearm yu buy, manufacturer will state fire 100-200 + rounds to break in firearm!

Not a Walmart Remington 783. Cheapest piece of manure ever made. Cheaper than a Mosin-Nagant. Yet from day one it shoots MOA or better with a Chinese scope. Sadly(I guess?) science and mathematics has superceded craft and skill. I hate such guns, but their inherent accuracy from the point of design to manufacture is disgustingly indisputable.

Back