• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

just checking in

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodsman

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to say Hi!!! This is a cool forum and I am looking forward to being a part of it. I am brand new to muzzleloading but I have hunted and trapped for 25 years. I will have lots of questions so please bare with me. Tony

See you are a carpenter. Have you ever built any muzzleloaders? What do you shoot, flintlock or percussion? How about hunting. Do they have a bear season there in N.C.? Can you hunt them with hounds? Heard that the Plott Hound is the official sate dog for North Carolina.

Hey snake-eye, I have not built a muzzle loader but I think that it would cool to do so. I am so green at this , it ain't funny. I have not yet bought my first smoke pole and that is part of my reason for joining the forum. I've been doing some research and I'm leaning towards the Lyman's great plains rifle in a percussion model. I'm going for the 1 in 60" twist barrel to shoot patched round balls. As far as bears, we've got plenty here in eastern NC. Most guys that hunt them do so with hounds.I see a few while sitting in my deer stands, but never seem to see them during our bear seasons. Tony
smile.gif

Welcome to the forum woodsman & snake-eye, I too was a trapper, I started trapping because I followed the mountain man era.

Back before asthma, I could out run, out drink, out cuss and out shoot any man alive...
I had the blood of a rattlesnake, my mammy was a wolf and my pappy was a grizzly bear...

OK, maybe I exaggerated a bit.
rolleyes.gif

Speaking of bears, pratice reloading fast before you hunt anything that can EAT you... History is full of stories about bears that take 20 round balls and still keep charging.

Granted the bulk of them are grizzlies, but I hear a sow black bear with cubs will charge people.

I started out with a T/C Renagade flint lock in .54 caliber, the Lyman's great plains rifle will be a good muzzleloader to start with.

Musketman, I can see by just browsing through the forum that you will certainly be a person that I can call upon for some solid advise. Trapping and interest of the mountainman era is what has sparked my interest in muzzleloaders. I look forward to chewing the fat with everyone here. Tony

Howdy Woodsman, yes the Lyman will be a good choice for a starter rifle. I've been shooting a Lyman Plains rifle since 1975. Just changed the barrel to a Green Mountain last year and just changed the lock to a L & R a couple weeks ago. I shoot caps now but am considering changing it over to flint, that way I can have either/or when I need it. Musketman will be a great source of info to you, as will a lot of other folks on here. Don't be afraid to ask any question as the only stupid question is the one that is not asked, it's the only way to find out and be safe. We'd like to keep you around a while. Take care, Rick.

I agree...

Claude Mathis, tg, No Powder and many, many others here are a great source on information.

Just lob out a question, someone will pick it up.
Everyone here is great about helping.

Back