• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Just bought my 1st BPR 1858 Pietta Remington Army 44 cal 8" barrel steel frame

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Melt the beeswax and then add your other ingredient(s). I would start with 75% beeswax, let it cool and check the hardness If it's too stiff (quite likely will be) reheat and add more tallow. Myself I don't care much for Crisco as an ingredient in any lube. There are a lot of recipes for beeswax based lubes but I would tend to keep the mix simple and you'll find it works just as good.

I have spent way too much and did not even get the gun yet.
1858 Remmy Pietta 44 Cal Army$300.00Midway USA
Triple K 310 Belt Holster$33.00Midway USA
(2) Hornady Bullets Round Ball$24.00Midway USA
Pyrodex P$27.00Cabelas
44 Cal wads$10.00Cabelas
Targets$5.00Cabelas
Nipple Wrench$24.00SliXprings
(6) SS Nipples$36.00SliXprings
Muzzleloader Powder Measure$12.00Amazon
Muzzle-loaders Black Powder Flask$22.00Amazon
Muzzle-Loaders™ Cleaning Patches$8.00Amazon
Muzzle-Loaders Patch Puller$6.00Amazon
WEREWOLVES Cleaning Kit$15.00Amazon
Ballistol$12.00Amazon
#10 Remington Caps$12.00Back Creek
Goex fff$26.00Back Creek
$572.00

Welcome to the madness. I did about the same thing. I look at it this way, if it brings you enjoyment, it's worth it in my book. This world is so ****ed up right now, getting out to the range is very therapeutic and tends to relieve all sorts of stress with each shot. Then, a leisurely walk in the woods to finish the "session" is very soothing to the soul/spirit. If I am trying to shoot for accuracy, I plant my fist wrapped around the grip in the sand bag/rest/whatever and I would have to agree, it tends to vertically string the shots. It's physics. The whole idea behind this sport/hobby is to relax and have fun. Don't pressure yourself that you have to put 6 shots through a ragged 1" hole. The difference between the Preacher and what you purchased is the Preacher has a second cylinder that can shoot [unmentionable] center fire cartridges. The process to switch cylinders is a bit clumsy but I'm getting better at it. Fun to shoot with either cylinder. The other difference is the price. You got a GREAT deal......

These are my self administered pyschotherapy tools.

211114-003.jpg

210914-002   2 x 1_3.jpg

Last edited:
Melt the beeswax and then add your other ingredient(s). I would start with 75% beeswax, let it cool and check the hardness If it's too stiff (quite likely will be) reheat and add more tallow. Myself I don't care much for Crisco as an ingredient in any lube. There are a lot of recipes for beeswax based lubes but I would tend to keep the mix simple and you'll find it works just as good.
Thanks hawkeye
I just ordered a pound of bees wax and a jar of beef tallow. Can I melt this stuff in a microwave. How much of a tear down and lube do I need to clean my 58 for the first rounds

Hi All
I got this for 295.00 from Midway USA seems to be a fair price for todays standards.
Going to Cabelas today to get some balls, powder, and wads.
Ordered all the rest of the needed supplies on Amazon.

Is their any difference between a Remmy new model army and just an Army in the Pietta line?
If I get a nipple wrench with a set of nipples at Cabelas are the nipples any different that the ones on the revolver?
Can you buy Ballistol in a liquid pour type bottle?
$295????!!! Geez that is a good deal. I paid $519 at Midway for a Taylor/Uberti Antiqued finish 1858 back in the spring of 2021! Glad you got that one and hope you enjoy and I bet you will. ;)

Thanks hawkeye
I just ordered a pound of bees wax and a jar of beef tallow. Can I melt this stuff in a microwave. How much of a tear down and lube do I need to clean my 58 for the first rounds
Yes, you can. Take melting very slow. Modest power levels and short times.

It's much better to use a double boiler as that will be far less likely to burn the waxes and tallow.

I have never held one of these in my hand and I'm curious as to how the feel compared to the 1860 Army. I know many of you folks have shot both and wondering what your opinions about the two of them are.
Robby
I’ve owned both and I much prefer the 1860 for anything heavier than mouse fart loads. The Remington grip frame has very little room behind the trigger guard and if you have larger hands your middle finger will contact it every time. The grip itself is small for me and more than two cylinders in I am ready to throw the gun away. The 1860 is my preferred grip frame. Normally sized people may not have this problem.

Thanks Karma. I have an 1860 and really like the gun. My only complaint is, to me the grip is too big in that I, with old arthritic hands, have trouble getting my thumb up to the hammer to re cock. I can do it but it takes a bit of maneuvering. I have average, probably on the small side, sized hands from what I have observed. I will never get rid of it though, too much fun, I was just wondering if it might be worth putting another horse in the stable. I do like those Colts though!
Thanks again,
Robby

I’ve owned both and I much prefer the 1860 for anything heavier than mouse fart loads. The Remington grip frame has very little room behind the trigger guard and if you have larger hands your middle finger will contact it every time. The grip itself is small for me and more than two cylinders in I am ready to throw the gun away. The 1860 is my preferred grip frame. Normally sized people may not have this problem.

I have the same problem. I ordered/bought another trigger guard and I am going to attempt to modify it so I can shoot heavier loads. $30 is much cheaper than throwing the revolver away and buying another one.

Well I earned my BP badge already.
I had to walk down a 650 ft snow covered driveway with 6 in of snow and 1 in of ice on top to get my 1858 Remmy. It is beautiful and well balanced with the 8 in barrel.View attachment 115681
I recently bought a new-in-box older Pietta Remmy. Very nice guns. I think mine was made a few years back, I forget the date mark. I like that black-n-white photo on the box lid! Best of Luck!

Thanks Karma. I have an 1860 and really like the gun. My only complaint is, to me the grip is too big in that I, with old arthritic hands, have trouble getting my thumb up to the hammer to re cock. I can do it but it takes a bit of maneuvering. I have average, probably on the small side, sized hands from what I have observed. I will never get rid of it though, too much fun, I was just wondering if it might be worth putting another horse in the stable. I do like those Colts though!
Thanks again,
Robby
If you have talented local smith how about having the spur removed and then lowered? Elmer Keith showed such guns in ”Sixguns” some with extremely low spurs for slip firing. This would cost about half of the cost of another revolve… but then you wouldn’t have a new revolver either… decisions, decisions…

I have the same problem. I ordered/bought another trigger guard and I am going to attempt to modify it so I can shoot heavier loads. $30 is much cheaper than throwing the revolver away and buying another one.
I have seen a Remington which had a bunch of material removed from the front of the grip strap. Not really enough to work for me but again, a talented welde/smith could probably cut and re-contour the grip frame in that area. Take a look at some of Ronnie Wells custom grip frames for an idea of what’s possible for handling recoil. Also, note the difference between the 1858 and 1875 Remington frames. The latter essentially copied the 1851 (and 1873) Colt frame.

I like the preacher but I forget what the difference is. I read something that I dont understand. This guy said that shooting a handgun in sandbags causes a disturbance in the accuracy if the barrel is resting on the stand or bag. So he said you can plant the butt end of the grip in the bag but let the barrel float. What do you ins think of that.
I lay the front of the frame into the valley in the sandbag. It hasn’t caused a disturbance in the accuracy of any of mine. If you “let the barrel float“ it definitely will. Support the frame.

Hi All
I got this for 295.00 from Midway USA seems to be a fair price for todays standards.
Going to Cabelas today to get some balls, powder, and wads.
Ordered all the rest of the needed supplies on Amazon.

If I get a nipple wrench with a set of nipples at Cabelas are the nipples any different that the ones on the revolver?

On the nipples, go to badman and get a set of slix shot nipples and a nipple wrench, you won’t be sorry,

Art

https://www.badmanbullets.com/OnlineStore/index.php

Last edited:
cant remember where I saw it but they showed an 1858 with an extended grip frame. I think it was on taylors website

I bought a k310 holster from midway it wont fit my 8 in 1858 remmy. It wont go deep enough for the safety strap to lock.
Also my muzzle is not crowned should I have it done at Taylor's

Latest posts

Back