• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Just bought my 1st BPR 1858 Pietta Remington Army 44 cal 8" barrel steel frame

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cadmandu

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi All
I got this for 295.00 from Midway USA seems to be a fair price for todays standards.
Going to Cabelas today to get some balls, powder, and wads.
Ordered all the rest of the needed supplies on Amazon.

Is their any difference between a Remmy new model army and just an Army in the Pietta line?
If I get a nipple wrench with a set of nipples at Cabelas are the nipples any different that the ones on the revolver?
Can you buy Ballistol in a liquid pour type bottle?

Attachments

• 1858 Rem Army.jpg
    1858 Rem Army.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 82
Hi All
I got this for 295.00 from Midway USA seems to be a fair price for todays standards.

Is their any difference between a Remmy new model army and just an Army in the Pietta line?
If I get a nipple wrench with a set of nipples at Cabelas are the nipples any different that the ones on the revolver?
No. The nipples sold by cabelas are replacements. Exactly the same as the oem nipples already in the cylinder.

By the way, do come back and le us know what you think once you’ve fired the gun. I predict you’re going to enjoy this!

.454 are best for recent Pietta 44s. Wads are just a waste of $ unless you are going to carry it in the hot sun making your over ball lube melt. 1/3 bees wax to 2/3 Crisco is cheep and wins National championships every year. Loads over 15-20 gr. not needed for accuracy on paper targets...c

Good revolver. Wads an option but not really necessary. Just more to deal with. Never used them myself in near 50 years of shooting.
.454. 22-25 grains plenty for ball. 18-20 for conical. More can give nice knuckle rap from trigger guard plus more not really better with heavier projectile.
Cleaning the 1858 is easy. Remover grips, cylinder and trigger guard, soak frame and cylinder in hot soapy water for 15_30 minutes. Scrub. Rinse with hot water. Dry. Run some alcohol through internals. Light oil all and reassemble.
I like aluminum anti seize on internals, nipple threads and cylinder pin. 1600 degree temp rating. Great cohesiveness. Smooth as silk. Plus hot water has little affect on its removal. Makes lubing internals a periodic issue.

Great info thanks for all your help. I'm having a rough time finding #10 caps.
Went to cabellas yesterday they had no 454 balls and no caps. And no Gorex
Who makes the better nipples at track of the wolf. Do I need to stone off the rough edges of the oem nipple to keep the caps from shattering. What name brand cap inserted fits the 1858

I was just like you a few weeks ago.
Unless you have a LGS that has a good ML section you will be out of luck.
I ended up ordering everything over the web. Local Cabelas did had pyrodex on shelf.
The only way you'll get caps is by getting raped on Gunbroker (especially with ship charges due to hazard ship charges) or someone on this forum lives close to you and takes pity on you and you can get a handful from them.

As a benchmark of 4 weeks ago, I got 200 CCI caps for $60 shipped and that was the "low cost" leader at that time.
Pre-Christmas demand didn't help.

Last edited:
I read that if you buy cci you need #11 caps
Yep that is what worked fine on my 1860 Army Pietta

Just bit the bullet and ended up getting Slix nipples.
By the time I was all done with all the dood-dads and ammo I ended up spending $300 to get to the point of being equipped to shoot 200 balls.
Excluding the gun of coarse.
Now I need to buy a couple more guns to bring down the cost per gun...LOL.

Last edited:
Who makes the better nipples at track of the wolf. Do I need to stone off the rough edges of the oem nipple to keep the caps from shattering. What name brand cap inserted fits the 1858
In a pinch go to store that has kids toys and look for red cap gun caps. They look just like percussion caps and work.
Or get #11 nipples if you can find #11caps. TOW good place.

Hi All

You can buy Ballistol in a 16 oz. pour-spout can at Mid South Shooters Supply. I think I have also seen it at Cabelas.

Good price. Maybe the market will cool off a little, for a while there it seemed
you couldn't find a good .44 for a reasonable price. Good luck, the photo is
nice and clear, too. Midway's a good company from what little I've ordered
from them.

Yes they were very helpful. And the best price. I got on a waiting list 3 weeks ago and they emailed me my wish list with a ready to ship notice. I purchased it in five minutes. I really like the link for the nipples and wrench

take the cylinder with you when you go to cabelas and if you can try a cap on the nipple cause last year I got an 1858 from cabelas and NO caps fit it. nipples to small for No 10. sent away to TOW and got ones for No 10-11. they must have different size caps in Europe but my much older guns made in Italy all take 10-11 caps

Where are you located? Someone close by may be able to help.

Winchester Va
PF58ST448 vs RGA44
Is the RGA44 a 1858 New Model Army
And my PF58ST448 just called Remington Army steel frame
What is the difference between the army and the new army

Good advice from the experienced folks above. The 1858 Rem is, in my view, the best choice among the popularly available ML BP revolvers. Many rate the Ruger BP and Colts BP more highly, but hard to locate and $$$$. The 8-inch barrel allows more powder to burn and results in greater power. It is my self-defense choice. The recommendations on loads are sound and excellent for target and practice. A load can be worked-up for Rem 1858, carefully with good advice from manuals and experienced shooters, which is the equivalent of .45 ACP. That's plenty. Butch

I have never held one of these in my hand and I'm curious as to how the feel compared to the 1860 Army. I know many of you folks have shot both and wondering what your opinions about the two of them are.
Robby

Back