• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Just bought a Pedersoli W. Moore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a W. Moore percussion that looks like the ones pictured. It has brass hardware and is marked made in Italy by Bondini who I have never heard of. I traded for it 30 plus years ago but haven't shot it enough to really work up a load. It takes 433 balls. It takes a hammer and a lot of pounding to get a 440 down it.

[/QUOTE]
The object is to drag the upper portion of your finger against the wood as you are starting to pull the trigger. This accomplishes two things.

(1) It prevents you from moving the trigger finger too fast and prematurely setting the gun off until your sights are aligned with the target.
(2) It prevents you from exerting too much pressure on the trigger causing you to "jerk" it to set the gun off.

Interesting take on set trigger Tech. How`s this working out for you in actual matches?

The object is to drag the upper portion of your finger against the wood as you are starting to pull the trigger. This accomplishes two things.

(1) It prevents you from moving the trigger finger too fast and prematurely setting the gun off until your sights are aligned with the target.
(2) It prevents you from exerting too much pressure on the trigger causing you to "jerk" it to set the gun off.

Interesting take on set trigger Tech. How`s this working out for you in actual matches?

I haven’t competed with it. I’ve showed this technique to other shooters that are not familiar with this type of pistol. They aren’t too bad after warming up to it.

I don’t think I’m too bad with it. I’ll have to see if I have any pictures of targets and post them.

If I try to fire thepistol without setting the trigger it feels like I’m in a tug of war using my finger against an ox.

If I try to fire thepistol without setting the trigger it feels like I’m in a tug of war using my finger against an ox.

I’m open to other suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m open to other suggestions.
Currently use my match tuned Lepage cap & flint set triggers at 1.5oz. Tuned by me. Weighed with my lyman electronic gage. Shot them under 3 oz. in matches since 97. Lots of dry fire practice before my first shot at the range. Still dry fire practice most days just like with any match gun I intend to use in matches....c

Last edited by a moderator:
yes we are all in deep DUDDO, when the $ end of them kicks in? sortta like STICKER SHOCK!!

"deermanct" asked " ... .44 or .45 ?"

If you look at some Itaian repros the RIFLED ones are .44 and the corresponding SMOOTHBORE ones are .45".
We all know that smoothbore flinters in particular are hard to get to shoot accurately --- needing a tight patch/ball and a large charge --- on top of the difficulty of learning how to get reliable ignition.
The makers produce the barrels to make RIFLED ones, the LAND diameter being .44" and the groove diameter after rifling is obviously deeper. Then the smoothbore barrels can be made easily from the same barrel blanks .... that cuts the cost (although these days that is eyewatering compared with what they were).
For anyone starting in on flint pistol it makes sense to get one with both barrels -- get the basics of handling with the .44 and then move onto the smoothbore.
It is also interesting to see that some makers reduce costs further by producing a FLINT pistol and then using drum-and-nipple conversion.

ATB

Jim H.

I have a W. Moore percussion that looks like the ones pictured. It has brass hardware and is marked made in Italy by Bondini who I have never heard of. I traded for it 30 plus years ago but haven't shot it enough to really work up a load. It takes 433 balls. It takes a hammer and a lot of pounding to get a 440 down it.
With respect, why not use the right size balls? If you "pound" then you are ensuring that your hold on the pistol is going to be unsteady.... so the accuracy is poor -- - so what is the point in shooting it?

With respect, why not use the right size balls? If you "pound" then you are ensuring that your hold on the pistol is going to be unsteady.... so the accuracy is poor -- - so what is the point in shooting it?
I do use the right sized balls. When I got it I was using the same 440s that I used in my other 45s. They shot OK but were very difficult to load. At someone's suggestion I started using 433s which I didn't know existed since I always just cast my own. They work much better so I buy Speers.

Back