Just before the war starts ...

Discussion in 'The Plains' started by BillinOregon, Nov 19, 2018.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Nov 19, 2018 #1

BillinOregon

BillinOregon

BillinOregon

Cannon Supporting Member

I am looking for descriptions or photos of U.S. infantry units on the eve of the war. In particular, the 8th Infantry was at this time deployed in the Southwest at posts in Texas and New Mexico, fighting various small actions against hostile tribes -- nothing much to write home about, save for the occasional handing out of Medals of Honor.
    I'm interested in actual gear and uniform details of this and other units in the field, not just living orderly lives in well-supplied and comfortable forts.

2. Nov 22, 2018 #2

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

The eve of what war? Mexican America, WTBS, early western Indian wars?

3. Nov 24, 2018 #3

BillinOregon

BillinOregon

BillinOregon

Cannon Supporting Member

War Between the States, Tenn. Lots of infantry and cavalry units scattered to dozens of posts across the frontier West fighting small battles against raiders -- and all will very shortly be deployed east to the theaters of the Civil War. The 8th Infantry was fighting Apaches here in south-central New Mexico in 1859-60, and would very soon be on the field at Manassas. We have some uniform changes in the late 1850s as well that will foreshadow the Union look as well.

4. Nov 24, 2018 #4

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

As a collection some of the books on the pre war. A photo book long on pictures and short on info like the old time life civil war collection was full of pre war photos.
    I’m thinking there was only about 10000 regular army before the war.