• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Just acquired an original fowling piece…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpd303

Nearly Normal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
While at the Berryville Muzzleshoot, I found this original fowling piece. It is in good shape considering it was probably made in the mid to late 1800s. The barrel has an early 1810 Liege proof ELG over * in oval without the crown, a Belgium proof house inspectors mark crown over G.

On the lock and barrel there are the letters GN which I can’t ID and a crown over script R (1868-1925) London reproof and an 1856 London provisional proof for barrels.

It is a 13 gauge with the bore diameter of .710 stamped with 17.8 on the barrel. If only this piece could talk and tell it’s story. It shoulders and points like it was made for me.

Wondering if anyone might have any information, thoughts about it.

2nhj77d.jpg

2yor4tw.jpg

jrczyg.jpg

fo42g2.jpg

I kind of wonder if it might be restocked.
The wood doesn't look as dark as it usually does when the gun is that old. Of course, the original finish could have been stripped by some well meaning former owner. The other thing is that it looks like the barrel is seated in the stock a little deeper than normal.
If it fits like it was made for you that's all that really counts. It's always good to see the old guns being used. That;s what they were made for.

Nice find, I'm sure you will enjoy.
I have a junker similar to that which is in the hands of a builder. In fact you probably saw him at Berryville. He is building a flint replica for me with an original, in the white Belgium made Damascus barrel. The build has been "in progress" for 12 years. :shocked2: :( (don't ask)

I don't think it has been restocked. I think the flash made the wood appear lighter. In natural light it's darker.

I de-breeched the barrel to check the threads & chamber and they were fine. The bore is dark but no pitting or rings (bulges).

dw6hp0.jpg

hx9qaf.jpg

After determining it is safe to shoot I tried it with some Swiss 1 1/2 ffg. The swiss seems to be more potent than Goex. I didn't run any load over the chronograph but recoil with 50 gr seems about the same as 80 gr of Goex ffg. The last two rounds were hang fires even though I was wiping between every three shots. Fouling seems to be about the same. She seems to like 45 gr of the Swiss and recoil was mild for a gun that weighs only 5 lb 8 oz.

1fxpvl.jpg

This was at 25 yards off hand, I like her. :thumbsup:

A good girl--ready to go hunting, now for some shot patterning for birdys....Love those old ones too....Tom :hatsoff:

Back