• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Just a show of hands, how many make their own ammution?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cast for 3 different sizes. .495, .600, .440. I have off work on Presidents day so I cast the whole day. Works for me!

See the national ammo shortage, never at our pond-D.
I started of casting round ball.
Then started 45/70 and other cartridge bullets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Especially if you weigh store bought lead balls, and wonder why your groups are not grouped. Weights that vary 1,2 sometimes 3 grains.

Everytime I think about getting a little casual setup going I find that , I can just pay my usual guy at Blue Falcon bullets about .50 a round for Minie balls and for $25 or so I can fill up my Cartridge Box for a range trip.

I don't even know what lead costs per pound .

Round balls are, in my opinion, only worth the effort for an odd size like the .649's I use in my. 69 Muskets.

Otherwise you can go to a sporting goods store and pick up .490 and .530.
I have a set up for hot lubing and sizing , so I've done ok buying the bag of 100 .575 Minies from Dixie for $50 and sizing and lubing them myself, to roll into cartridges .

If’n you don’t like doing something it’s a chore, if you enjoy it it’s a hobby.
You can go to most gun shops and get .490 or .530, harder to find is .565, .570 or anything for a .62
I just bought a bag of .570 on line to make some paper cartridge for my .62, but I don’t know if I would do that enough to justify a mold
But I enjoy running ball, by fire or stove.
Guns what we do this for

If’n you don’t like doing something it’s a chore, if you enjoy it it’s a hobby.
You can go to most gun shops and get .490 or .530, harder to find is .565, .570 or anything for a .62
I just bought a bag of .570 on line to make some paper cartridge for my .62, but I don’t know if I would do that enough to justify a mold
But I enjoy running ball, by fire or stove.
Guns what we do this for
You may be able to buy balls, I can’t within 200 miles. Postage being what it is I would be trebling, at least, my cost per bang. Here’s a thought. Club doesn’t, bat doesn’t, racquet doesn’t - but gun rhymes with fun.🤗

bullet molds.jpg

Here a few of my bullet moulds from .36 to .75 casting since 1957.(started with fishing weights)
Pete

I enjoy the challenge of making bullet molds (conicals) and casting.
30years.

I buy mine.
I do weigh them and throw out anything thing more than 1 grain off.

I might lose 8 out of a 100.
Acceptable to me.

Started casting unmentionables first then some .36 cal ball and maxi ball in the 80's. Now I only cast two ball sizes, .36 and .61's, but numerous other cals. I use a lee elect. pot. I sold the maxi ball mould to someone on this board. Casting is something I do but don't do it constantly like I used to.

"I do weigh them and throw out anything thing more than 1 grain off."

Spent some time visiting with one of the High Master pistol shooters at Friendship about weighing balls, I have been doing it for along time. He said it brings no value except maybe to the heavy bench shooters. He said it does not hurt, but brings no value in match shooting.

He casts his balls and does not weight them. He said his wife as goes thru them while shooting and will pitch those who have a small void spot at the sprue or other small defect. He takes and shoots them with no problems.

After reading about the “weight difference “ in store bought balls I started doing it. (Weighing mine)

honestly, I don’t see a huge difference. Most are right there and I can’t see myself doing better by casting myself.

but weighing them is kind of like building/fletching my arrows. Kind of cathartic.

Back