• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Just a show of hands, how many make their own ammution?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cast 50 cal balls for 1.9 cents each. Cast 370 grain maxi for 4 cents.

I picked up a lot of scrap lead for $1/lb so my costs are similarly low. But there is t anywhere to buy lead so I’ve considered trying RotoMetals with 2% tin to help with fill out. Granted one has to purchase quite a bit for free shipping the cost is still under 8¢ a ball. At 8¢ a ball with 39 balls with leftover, that’s over $3.15/lb for lead.

Started casting in 1971 with the graduation gift of Navy Arms Zouave. Minies were not available. Have been shooting hand cast round balls this summer.
I also started with a Zouave, and cast my own for the same reason. When I got married in 1978, I found that my wife's grandfather had a stash of about 1000 pounds of old water pipe. While I have aquirred a lot more free lead since then, I think I still have a little of that stash.

I cast my own. I also make as much of my own gear such as powder horns, bags, patch knives, short starters as possible. To me it's all part of the pastime.
John

Attachments

• 20200914_080608.jpg
    20200914_080608.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 89
I picked up a lot of scrap lead for $1/lb so my costs are similarly low. But there is t anywhere to buy lead so I’ve considered trying RotoMetals with 2% tin to help with fill out. Granted one has to purchase quite a bit for free shipping the cost is still under 8¢ a ball. At 8¢ a ball with 39 balls with leftover, that’s over $3.15/lb for lead.

I'm lucky to have a metal recycler nearby. They have two prices, one for lead and one for soft lead. Last time I bought soft was 75 cents. The price varies with the spot price.

Juat wondering what the ratio of muzzleloader enthusiasts we have who make their own lead versus those who don't.

Ive been rolling my own since I got into the sport.
Haven't in a while but that's because I made a few hundred up last time I did and still have some left. I will again when I need it because I still have a 5-lb bar of lead waiting to be melted.

When some one adds up their time cost to a project I stop and wonder. Let’s say you earn $30 an hour. Higher then average wage, but not outstanding. So a hour of casting cost your lead, your fuel, and you valuable hours time.
However are you taking time off to work that day?
What would you be doing that hour should you not be running ball?
I can get a premade ramrod, but I like to make them. I can get a pre made gun but enjoy building them.
I only work on them in my off hours. Hours I’m not being paid for anyway

When some one adds up their time cost to a project I stop and wonder. Let’s say you earn $30 an hour. Higher then average wage, but not outstanding. So a hour of casting cost your lead, your fuel, and you valuable hours time.
However are you taking time off to work that day?
What would you be doing that hour should you not be running ball?
I can get a premade ramrod, but I like to make them. I can get a pre made gun but enjoy building them.
I only work on them in my off hours. Hours I’m not being paid for anyway
I look at it from the same perspective. This is not my job, it's my hobby.
Those that equate their hobby time with their work time are likely not enjoying either one....

I mostly cast although I buy what I don’t have molds for (yet). Such as .31 & .55. I am blessed with a growing supply of lead. I scrounged plumbing lead from construction sites for years and now have a few roofers giving me old “boots”. I am going to larger calibers just so I can shoot up more of my stash, don’t want my daughter to have to deal with it when I am gone (kidding).

I used to cast on the back porch. This year I am going camping, just the dog and I, for a week at Thanksgiving. I think it is a splendid idea to sit around camp casting bullets in the cool fall air.

I cast my own, but some times trade for something weird like 7 bore. I found some pure lead in 52 pound bricks. I cut my own patches. Mostly spit patch, but some bore butter in a microwave because it makes it more consistent. I have tried to make black power, big fail. I tried to find a cap maker but no one has them anymore. Tap a cap was the name. My bore butter recipe is very simple, cheap oil and bees wax and peppermint oil. Generally 3 to one, but 5 to one for spreading over revolver cylinders. I found some bees wax and bought 20 pounds, but received 35 pound block with bee parts.
I buy caps by the case to save money and still have some that cost 3 cents a round.

Have never bought a Ball , have cast for over 30yrs. Make my own Balls, Patches, Black stuff and have started making my own chips of rock. Absolutely costs next to nothing to shoot.

Latest posts

Back