• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Just a reminder about using BP only in a BP gun...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've also seen what happens when smokeless powder is used in a black powder gun.
The barrel was split from just ahead of the breech plug, to about 12 to 14 inches down the barrel towards the muzzle.
I wasn't there when this happened but the shooter must have received some real damage. The stock wood was totally blown away in the area of the barrel burst.

Just because a member has been very lucky in the past is no reason to assume you will be lucky too. Now, everyone, read my lips:

"DO NOT USE SMOKELESS POWDER IN ANY GUN THAT WAS DESIGNED FOR BLACK POWDER !!!!!"
I've seen those "torture" tests where the guys shoot all kinds of wrong sized cartridges in guns not made for them and even smokeless in bp guns without blowing them up. It gives people the wrong idea I think. Even though they repeatedly say that you should never try this, people sometimes might think it's OK to do this. You got to always err on the side of caution as it's said. Also, even though the guns they used passed the first time, the gun might blow the next time you shoot it since it could be weakened from the previous shot. Those revolver cylinders that drop in to a modern bp revolver are saying that they are only for "cowboy" loads are really only saying that they are for the strength of the cylinder. I shoot a couple of those but really think you're on your own when you shoot them. Why take a chance on blowing yourself up? I saw a .36 Colt replica percussion cylinder blown up using smokeless so know that some of the replicas won't take it. Be careful folks and use a little common sense for crying out loud.

It has been at least 5 generations since real black powder was in common use.

Today people, including at stores where they sell gun stuff, find it obvious that "black" means the color of what is in the can

Smokeless? Means nothing. Nothing at all. Guns don't smoke when fired.

Hey, I hang with people who never heard of Jefferson Davis (If YOU haven't, best not admit so here, just look him up).

Today people, including at stores where they sell gun stuff, find it obvious that "black" means the color of what is in the can

I'm trying to think of which modern powders are actually black. 4350 maybe, most powders are grey, anything but black.

I still remember when I figured out as a young Nimrod (8-10 years old) what was meant by gun safety publications saying gunpowder and alcohol don't mix. We rarely had alcohol in the house and my dad was not a gun nut or active hunter. He had a shotgun and when I started shooting more than a BB gun I borrowed an old Remington single shot from my grandpa. So, we must not assume newbies know what black powder means. Also, these days any young person is probably much more adept at finding "information" on the net than most of us are.

isn't DARWINS THEORY OF NATURAL SELECTION just great? WEED OUT THE WEAK.

It has been at least 5 generations since real black powder was in common use.

Smokeless? Means nothing. Nothing at all. Guns don't smoke when fired.

Hey, I hang with people who never heard of Jefferson Davis (If YOU haven't, best not admit so here, just look him up).
He’s the guitarist for Mott the Hoople isn’t he?

Regarding ignorance of powders: a while back I drove halfway across the Coachella Valley, because a gun store clerk assured me on the phone that yes, they carried black powder. When I got there he pointed me to a shelf full of Pyrodex - and had no idea what I was talking about when I said, 'that's black powder substitute, not black powder.'

I say WHY? Why in the world would you try smokeless in bp? More power? Get a modern gun.

As others have mentioned I learned smokeless can be position sensitive and way to powerful. As others have mentioned as well I learned the difference before I was even interested in firearms.

Then again I am a read the manual kind of guy. Then I look up YouTube videos on how to tear a firearm apart and reassemble. Learning how they work internally.

If no black powder in your area use triple 7. I recommend it and it's worked fantastic so far. I use bp but at times I want more kick and need a larger volume of powder I use triple 7. Sold by weight and lighter by volume than traditional bp makes it more economical in powder heavy firearms.

Regarding ignorance of powders: a while back I drove halfway across the Coachella Valley, because a gun store clerk assured me on the phone that yes, they carried black powder. When I got there he pointed me to a shelf full of Pyrodex - and had no idea what I was talking about when I said, 'that's black powder substitute, not black powder.'

Early on in my search for black powder I had an phone encounter with a clerk that went similar. I asked for black powder the guy said "yeah we got it". I said "cool! What brand?" He says "oh hold on..." Forgetting the brand name he saw 15 seconds ago. He comes back on line and says "the brand is pyrodex and it says p on it."

🤔 Never knew there was a pyrodex brand real black powder out there. P you say? Lol.

It's been said that the North American Arms Companion and Super Companion .22 C&B revolvers were originally advertised by the manufacturer as recommended to be loaded with Bullseye smokeless powder.
That is until the Federal Gov'r. threatened to remove its classification as an antique firearm.
NAA complied but the cat was already let out of the bag so to speak.
Many folks came to realize that the guns didn't perform as well as expected when loaded with black powder or substitutes
Many folks began experimenting loading it with Bullseye powder years ago.
NAA owners seem to be quite satisfied with the performance and AFAIK there haven't been any mishaps.

For more info. Google either, arcticap Bullseye or naa super companion bullseye powder and the results will direct you to threads about it.
No, I don't own an NAA and I haven't personally loaded one with Bullseye.
I'm only relaying info. that many other trustworthy folks have posted about.
The NAA's may be an exception to the general prohibition due to its small size and strong construction.

Last edited by a moderator:
If a store clerk assured me that the store carried Black Powder, I would ask "What brand?"

Back around 2004 , in a central Pa. town , two teen age boys took dad's modern made plains style rifle out for an unsupervised plinking session. Choosing some "black looking " powder from dad's powder supply , and measuring it out w/ dad's powder measure , they got 'er loaded up. The plains rifle actually lasted two discharges before it catastrophically burst. One boy had some minor shrapnel damage . but the other boy escaped with nothing but extreme fright trauma. Both boys had to have "coal miner " dad's boots removed from their behinds , with lessons learned and compulsory m/l black powder shooting range retraining. All is well.............oldwood

I've seen those "torture" tests where the guys shoot all kinds of wrong sized cartridges in guns not made for them and even smokeless in bp guns without blowing them up. It gives people the wrong idea I think. Even though they repeatedly say that you should never try this, people sometimes might think it's OK to do this. You got to always err on the side of caution as it's said. Also, even though the guns they used passed the first time, the gun might blow the next time you shoot it since it could be weakened from the previous shot. Those revolver cylinders that drop in to a modern bp revolver are saying that they are only for "cowboy" loads are really only saying that they are for the strength of the cylinder. I shoot a couple of those but really think you're on your own when you shoot them. Why take a chance on blowing yourself up? I saw a .36 Colt replica percussion cylinder blown up using smokeless so know that some of the replicas won't take it. Be careful folks and use a little common sense for crying out loud.
I am shooting one of the conversions using exactly the same powder charge and bullet weight. except in a container. I don't see any problem.

Pyrodex is a BP sub?
I thought it was a gopher gasser, sold in powder form to allow you to pour it down the gopher hole.
Boy, have I been using it wrong.

I thought the only reason for using it as a propellant was to make a modern BP gun look like an authentic, rusty battlefield recovered original.

Latest posts

Back