• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Just a couple snaphaunces used for over 150 years

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I really focus on flintlocks but I do occasionally get other interesting pieces, usually with other items I am more interested in. The bottom is a continental (Italian?) snaphaunce, ca 1700. The middle seems to me earlier. With that style engraving, I would date it to mid-1600s. I hope you don't mind, but I take the liberty to add a flintlock lock which I have not found a similar example to date it. It has a lot of the snaphaunce influence so I believe it to be second or third quarter 17th century. I found the original cock on eBay France (dug up on a Napoleonic Wars site, obviously not related) which I believe to be stylistically similar to the lock and ca 1660s or 70s. I think it is interesting how one percussion conversion retains the horizontal sear while the other has been updated. I should have double-checked but I do not recall if Alessandro Ghini is in Der Neue Stockel or not.

Attachments

• DSCN0069.JPG
    DSCN0069.JPG
    186.5 KB · Views: 152
  • DSCN0073.JPG
    DSCN0073.JPG
    180.6 KB · Views: 137
  • DSCN0074.JPG
    DSCN0074.JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 149
  • DSCN0075.JPG
    DSCN0075.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 143
  • DSCN0076.JPG
    DSCN0076.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 156
  • DSCN0077.JPG
    DSCN0077.JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 147
  • DSCN0078.JPG
    DSCN0078.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 137
Hi Flintlock.

I also like collecting locks. Those are three very interesting locks. And they all three do indeed look as though they started life pre-1700. Those lock plate styles suggest that. The converted locks do show that during the period nothing was discarded that could be made to work. I especially find the flintlock interesting. Due to the lock plate and hammer style, my guess would be the third quarter of the 17th Century. It's interesting to note the lock variety during the first half of the 17th Century. Many of the locks have that "experimental" look.
Anyway, nice additions to your collection.

Rick

Really interesting lock! Unfortunately modified in the 19° century. I live near Loiano where it was made. I think it belong to the beginning of 1700. There are two Alessandro Ghini. The first, the clan-father, born in 1626 and died around 1690, the second was his grandson. Born in 1694 and died in 1738. It is in the style of the grandson. Somewhere I have a picture of a lock attributed to the younger Alessandro. If you sell it and the price is not too high make me know. It would be pretty make it return to where it was born.
Sorry for my english

I looked up Alessandro Ghini in Der Neue Stockel. They have him in Loiano in 1632. Only mention. The lock could be older or the records are not complete.
Do you have a copy of Der Neue Stockel? I am interested in finding out all I can about Johannes Mond, Augsberg, Germany: Mid 19th Century. Hard to find a copy of this book!

Do you have a copy of Der Neue Stockel? I am interested in finding out all I can about Johannes Mond, Augsberg, Germany: Mid 19th Century. Hard to find a copy of this book!
I only have the first volume. Found it on AbeBooks years ago for $60. They are hard to find and hard to stomach paying $300+ for three books. I believe the one I have stops with H but if yours is in it I will let you know.

Back