• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jump in (the shallow end)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am old with really poor eyesight and hands which have lost most of their dexterity but I have wanted to build a long rifle for more than fifty years.
Back then kits were mostly rough and unrefined and required more skill than I had time to develop.
Then along came Jim Kibler. Lusting to give it go I was filled with doubts of being able to finish a kit which would be a source joy and pride.
Six months ago I ordered a carving practice kit and a butt plate, patch box cover, a few other bits figuring it was enough to either build my confidence or kill the thought.
I have completed the assembly of the kit and I am working on finishing the wood and metal. It was simple. The real challenge is before me because I am almost certain
carving and even wire inlay are beyond my capacity but that ship hasn't sailed just yet.

All this to say if you are on the fence jump off. You can do this and it won't require a fortune in new tools or a proper work bench. I have done this at my desk without a proper vise.
Living in a high rise condo full of Karens of one sort or another hasn't been anything more than a challenge to overcome. Buy a carving practice piece and a butt plate. Convince yourself
you really can get it done and then jump. The photo is of the patch box cover which I am experimenting with carving and finishing. The rifle is waiting for the experiments to encourage me to
start sanding and staining and polishing...this aqua fortis is really fun to play with. When I am done I will get some decent photos of rifle posted.

Attachments

• IMG_0045.jpeg
    IMG_0045.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 108
The Kibler kit works out best for us elderly folks. Not much gouging out to make the parts fit so actually it's perfect. I've been learning alot about carving on my extra curly maple. "It's doesn't like to be carved on" so you'll need to remember to work with sharp tools, small & shallow cuts and have patience. The only special tool I bought was a 2mm V gouge (parting tool $50.) Most of my other gouges I made from tool steel. I am also limited to a small space and do most of my work on a small bench with a small vise. You do need to practice carving and using your gouges properly. Keep your artwork simple. Straight lines are easy and circles are nerve rakkkking. Most important make this a good experience, have fun and enjoy. There's alot of help here when you need it.........Labrat

For a first build, I say forget about carving period. Concentrate on building a functional firearm first and foremost. Plain Jane guns can be works of art too.

Nothing worse than for somebody just starting out to attempt too much, and the end result winds up causing frustration and heartache. There's no better way to ruin something than by biting off more than one can chew. Don't worry about pleasing someone with fancy art work. Leave that to the guys like Wallace Gusler who grew up doing it, and have 60 years of building under their belts. Again, concentrate on completing a functional firearm. A deer isn't going to know its been shot with a gun that doesn't have any C or S scrolls, flowers, fancy inlays, etc.

I don't even attempt any of that S.hit. because I know I can't do it. The most carving I've done to date have been two beaver tails on the back sides of my lock and side plate mortices on my squirrel gun. That's fancy enough for me.

I am old with really poor eyesight and hands which have lost most of their dexterity but I have wanted to build a long rifle for more than fifty years.
Back then kits were mostly rough and unrefined and required more skill than I had time to develop.
Then along came Jim Kibler. Lusting to give it go I was filled with doubts of being able to finish a kit which would be a source joy and pride.
Six months ago I ordered a carving practice kit and a butt plate, patch box cover, a few other bits figuring it was enough to either build my confidence or kill the thought.
I have completed the assembly of the kit and I am working on finishing the wood and metal. It was simple. The real challenge is before me because I am almost certain
carving and even wire inlay are beyond my capacity but that ship hasn't sailed just yet.

All this to say if you are on the fence jump off. You can do this and it won't require a fortune in new tools or a proper work bench. I have done this at my desk without a proper vise.
Living in a high rise condo full of Karens of one sort or another hasn't been anything more than a challenge to overcome. Buy a carving practice piece and a butt plate. Convince yourself
you really can get it done and then jump. The photo is of the patch box cover which I am experimenting with carving and finishing. The rifle is waiting for the experiments to encourage me to
start sanding and staining and polishing...this aqua fortis is really fun to play with. When I am done I will get some decent photos of rifle posted.
Good advice! Hope it unleashes someone to "be sure you're right, then go ahead", as Davy Crockett said!

Sidney I totally agree with you and that is very sound advise. Don't bit off more than you can chew and it could cause you more frustration. But I don't think this applies here. I can relate to this person because it sounds like me. I've always loved these flintlocks and would love to build one someday. Well that day is finally here. It sounds like he is doing everything he can to do it right. Spent money on Kiblers carving kit, some patchbox covers a buttplate and even iron nitrate to study and practice on. I see a person that does his homework and he has already pre-built his rifle. He did not just jump in but clearly thought about it and planed it just as I have done. So I want to encourage him to stay the course and know that there is alot of good help here......Labrat

Gotta crawl before you can walk. Homework or not, he's still in the crawling stage. I say he should build a few guns first then maybe attempt some carving.

Wouldn't you rather see someone displaying their first gun with a smile on their face? That might happen if he attempts carving on the first try, or it most likely won't. We all know there are going to be mistakes made along the way regardless of carving. Hoever, carving just adds to the pressure curve and increases the chance of turning a pleasurable experience, into a miserable one. Then the next move is gun goes up on some auction site and the man says to hell with muzzleloaders. IMO, start slowly, then try more as you gain practical experience.

The rifle is assembled. It was embarrassingly simple. I am finishing metal surfaces and sanding wood. I have a proper vise on the way and a few more carving tools to acquire. I have decided the gun needs moulding lines and some contouring. The jury is still out on a few carved embellishments but it appears I am going to do some wire inlay. @Sidney Smith thanks for looking out for me but this isn't my first rodeo or rendezvous for that matter. IMNSHO anyone who is dissatisfied with a first attempt at anything including carving a gunstock wasn't going to hang around long with muzzleloaders or anything else. I burned my first charcoal more than 50 years ago and destroyed that rifle with experimenting on its appearance. I have a revolver in pieces in a drawer waiting for some parts so I can get it timed correctly. Mistakes are learning opportunities not a reason to quit. There are countless reasons to quit and only one reason to continue because you are determined to go forward.

The bone plate on the end of the patchbox is a disappointment. I am going to buff it some more and maybe scrimshaw and ink it but I don't believe it will make the cut. I have a brass plate on the cover which came in the kit.

Attachments

• IMG_0049.jpeg
    IMG_0049.jpeg
    101.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0050.jpeg
    IMG_0050.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0051.jpeg
    IMG_0051.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0052.jpeg
    IMG_0052.jpeg
    129.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0053.jpeg
    IMG_0053.jpeg
    67.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0054.jpeg
    IMG_0054.jpeg
    234.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0055.jpeg
    IMG_0055.jpeg
    173.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0056.jpeg
    IMG_0056.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0057.jpeg
    IMG_0057.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Handsome piece of wood and you did a bang up job on fitting the barrel and brass. I had a hard time on fitting the tang and ramrod inlet brass. Lots of careful trimming and black spotter marks. Congrats on a nice build.............. Amen on that Sidney. About 20 years back I had an old great looking Winchester and did a real nice job rebuilding it. I decided to take the chance and with confidence I dove in thinking I'd carve a few scrolls on the stock. Needless to say I screwed it up really bad and now It sits in the safe too embarrassed to show it. My reminder that bad decisions happen even with the best intentions.....Labrat

Well to be honest the barrel tang just needed a nudge. This kit is something that anyone with an interest should try. I had almost no work fitting the lock, sideplate, trigger plate, butt plate, trigger, or trigger guard. The thimbles tendons were bigger than the mortises so I had to widen them a bit but most of these parts went in with less fitting than Jim Kibler shows in the videos. The nose cap took real work. The patchbox cover was also a challenge. This kit is just a breeze.

The rifle is assembled. It was embarrassingly simple. I am finishing metal surfaces and sanding wood. I have a proper vise on the way and a few more carving tools to acquire. I have decided the gun needs moulding lines and some contouring. The jury is still out on a few carved embellishments but it appears I am going to do some wire inlay. @Sidney Smith thanks for looking out for me but this isn't my first rodeo or rendezvous for that matter. IMNSHO anyone who is dissatisfied with a first attempt at anything including carving a gunstock wasn't going to hang around long with muzzleloaders or anything else. I burned my first charcoal more than 50 years ago and destroyed that rifle with experimenting on its appearance. I have a revolver in pieces in a drawer waiting for some parts so I can get it timed correctly. Mistakes are learning opportunities not a reason to quit. There are countless reasons to quit and only one reason to continue because you are determined to go forward.

The bone plate on the end of the patchbox is a disappointment. I am going to buff it some more and maybe scrimshaw and ink it but I don't believe it will make the cut. I have a brass plate on the cover which came in the kit.
Take you time and think things out and you will have a really nice looking rifle. I also have a Kibler Colonial that I am working on. Have to make and inlet toe plate, inlet star in cheek. Then the artwork begins...

Back