• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Jumbo size hog coming in

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie1968

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Had a work day at the property getting everybodies set ups in order on our north property. The south property is mine to hunt
The last time I put corn in the feeder was January 20th since then I haven't hunted gave it a break. Even with no corn pigs come in daily it's a funnel along a creek that funnels them in and out of our private property to national forest. For 73 days straight this big boar has been coming in. Before the acorns drop and a little cooler weather come I'll hunt him. I am amazed every time I shoot a big boar how fast another comes in to replace the one I shot. Have no idea the weight as I never weigh pigs he is thick in the rump big shoulders and long snout
FB_IMG_1597583553205.jpg
FB_IMG_1597583553205.jpg

I have read that when a large breeding boar is killed the young males left behind are stimulated to reach sexual maturity much more quickly than otherwise would be normal. Thus, according to this theory, you are actually increasing the population by killing the alpha boars. Dunno if this is true, I have my doubts. But it did come from a reliable source here in Arkansas.

I have read that when a large breeding boar is killed the young males left behind are stimulated to reach sexual maturity much more quickly than otherwise would be normal. Thus, according to this theory, you are actually increasing the population by killing the alpha boars. Dunno if this is true, I have my doubts. But it did come from a reliable source here in Arkansas.
that may be true, as when i kil one of these alpha boars immediately younger and more boars come in. this boar is not letting another hog come in except a female that is in heat ive got pics of him making bacon these boars have a v precrichimate gland that mixes thecsemen and urine and they spray this nasty god awful smell. its the same spray most hunters attribute to a boar that is rank. they spray to let other hogs know tyhers a new boar in charge. i guided on a ranch where we cut these glands out and froze them we would tie them up and poke a hole in them. asit thawed it would drip like a dripper and had boars come in fighting mad. we learned this in the fence portion of the ranch we got some on are hands and boars would come in fighting mad. i was on 2 pro staffs tinks hog scent division and texas boars. at Texas boars kevin tried to get scientist to replicate it but was told it was to nasty to deal with , the othere was just pee from a sow or boar this hogs dasys are numbered as ill slip in one night set my red lights up and kill him

I know the resolution on that pic is poor, but it looks like a bunch of teats hanging underneath.

?

Why wouldn’t you shoot every one you see. Please help me understand as we do not have them up here, but as I understand they are a HUGE problem and pest, and each state want them all gone. Am I mistaken?
Walk
The reason I dont shoot everyone I see anymore is because there is no greater challenge than harvesting a 7 yr old trophy dominate boar. Besides human primates they are the 3rd smartest being our universe Sounders young boars are easy to kill but single solitary boar are a real challenge. Me I enjoy the challenge

Why wouldn’t you shoot every one you see. Please help me understand as we do not have them up here, but as I understand they are a HUGE problem and pest, and each state want them all gone. Am I mistaken?
Walk

No, generally, that is what most folks do. They are a major problem in Texas. It costs $248 to repair the damage done by hogs in a Coastal Bermuda field. I shoot and trap hogs as I find them. The only folks who like them are those who sell hog hunts and those who like to shoot them during deer season. South of me they shoot them from helicopters to get rid of them.

I do understand Howie's passion for hunting the largest of them and applaud his efforts. There is a good feeling when you remove a mega hog.

As Howie said, they are the smartest critter in the woods and they learn very quickly once you start hunting them. Large boar hogs are solitary and do not come easy. When you find them in the daylight they are running 100 % of the time when you see them. The only way to remove them is hunting as Howie does, at night at a feeder with lights around it.

There are not a lot of honest 300 pound hogs in the woods. The hog in Howie's picture will go 300 to 310 or so.

no sir i took him with archery gear that hog duped me alot of months traveling all over the property. on a hunch i hit another stand sight on our property at dark 12 yard shot out of a summitt climber

Back