• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

July 4th, First casting session

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the same mold and your right on the mark, the lead I use is as close to pure as you can get, I wish I had more of it.

The size and weight of the balls that are cast from any mold will depend upon the alloy. The stated size and weight is based on pure lead. Different alloys will have different densities and different thermal expansion coefficients that will determine the actual size and weight of any balls that are cast from a mold.

Billnpatti said:
The size and weight of the balls that are cast from any mold will depend upon the alloy. The stated size and weight is based on pure lead. Different alloys will have different densities and different thermal expansion coefficients that will determine the actual size and weight of any balls that are cast from a mold.

This was my thought as soon as I read you had consistent weight and they were under a smidge. Then the thought as proposed above that the mold may be a tiny bit smaller than listed.

Neither are an issue. So long as you have a good tight patch on a well made ball that PRB will strike the target so long as you do your part.

If you look at the spreadsheet Data, it is very close to what pure lead would produce. I m surprised to find it that close. Still wonder what the measured diameter is.

Latest posts

Back