• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

July 2021 Postal Match

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This month we are celebrating the 4th of July with a good old fashioned picnic, there is only one problem, flies! As fate would have it, all we have to keep the flies away from the food is our trusty smokepoles!

Download and print your target attached below. Write your forum screen name on the front of your target as soon as you print it!

This is a Five shot target. Fire 1 shot at each fly.

Scoring will be as follows:
Shots landing inside a circle = 5pts
Get lucky and hit the fly = 10pts
Accidentally hit a sandwich = -5pts

The shooting distance for this contest is 25 yards.
No do-over’s. Print and shoot one target only. One rifle and one pistol is acceptable.
Only registered forum members may participate.

If you would like please take a picture of your target and post it on the forum under this months (July) shoot to share with other members. However, to be officially scored and posted in the final results you must still mail in your target unless you are overseas as noted below.

Only traditional, open iron sighted muzzle loading firearms; peeps are allowed under the condition you mark your target so I know you used a peep. (Tracking it) NO Cannons. Percussion, flintlock or matchlock ignition only. Pistol will be in their own class. Cap and Ball revolvers are OK.

Single patched round ball only. No restrictions on caliber. (a patchless ball may be used if so desired)

Shots shall be taken off-hand at the stated distance. Standing or seated is allowed, elbows unsupported by anything other than the shooters torso. In the event that a member is not physically able to hold his rifle up unsupported, a "prop-rod" that is supported only by the shooters torso, no part of which prop-rod may touch the ground, may be used to hold up the fore-end of the rifle.

Only original targets will be accepted. No copies, faxes, scan, etc. unless you're an overseas participant...
Overseas participants may scan and e-mail me. Just send me a PM through the forum and attach it or I'll give you my e-mail address. As long as I can CLEARLY make the target out I'll accept it.** (I recommend using a dark backing paper when you scan / copy it if possible so that the holes show clearly)

Old Eyes - Small Targets, What To Do?
Considering the nature of the event being, a print and mail target and there being no prize other than bragging rights, the object is to encourage shooters to shoot and share their results, whatever they may be, in hopes we can all learn a bit. In September 2020 shoot participants overwhelmingly voted to adjust the rules to allow adding color to the target(s) to add contrast to better see the intended point of impact. This can be done at the individual shooters desire, this is optional.
Note: This may not be necessary with all targets but it has been adopted as a standing rule.

Pistol Class:
For those who would like, you can shoot one target with long gun and one with pistol. Please mark your target accordingly.

How close is close enough? Over half the ball must penetrate inside the scoring ring to be counted at the highest value. In other words, the ring in which the majority of the ball hits the target will be the score value. The center of the shot placement on the target will be determined by the judge. Judges decisions are final.

Fire 5 shots only, misses count! Mutilated targets or targets with more than 5 holes will be disqualified. If you have any questions, suggestions or concerns please don't hesitate to contact me.

Mail your target, postmarked no later than July 31st to:

Chris Duncan
1260 N Osage rd
Mulvane, KS 67110
Attn: July Target

If you don’t mind sharing I would also like to know what you’re shooting. Include type of firearm, caliber, ball diameter, patch thickness, lube, powder type and grains used, barrel length and twist rate. This isn’t required I’m just the curious sort.

Thanks for shooting, now lets get out there and swat those flies!

Chris

Attachments

• July Target 2021.pdf
    186.8 KB · Views: 242
Well folks my 50 cal fly swatter didn't do so well. But I took second at the monthly club shoot.

Attachments

• July 2021.jpg
    July 2021.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 89
My Pedersoli Pennsylvania proved itself a worthy flyswatter this afternoon. 2 dead flies and many a near miss. Looks like the big one lives on though, Drat! I really wanted that bugger!

Happy Shooting!

Attachments

• 20210705_151410.jpg
    20210705_151410.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 98
Flies were much harder than the annual novelty shoot, which I won… thank you for your deafening applause…
Can I assume that staples don’t count? I got 2 of those!

.45 Kibler cherry stocked SMR
.445” ball .020” patch

Attachments

• B9BD06B6-03E7-47C3-92FC-12362549B871.jpeg
    B9BD06B6-03E7-47C3-92FC-12362549B871.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 81
I just got back from the range after shooting this month's target: no flies, but I didn't go hungry! I don't know whether I should get my head examined or what, but I chose to shoot with with a 20ga. NW trade gun. In spite of the heat and humidity, it fired reliably once I substituted FFg for FFFFg in the pan and fired immediately after priming. As I was using a "bare ball" load, I had to brush and damp swab the bore frequently.

Particulars: 70gr. GOEX FFg with a thin card stock over shot "wad" atop the powder. That was followed by a .618", i.e., bore diameter RB cast from pure Pb. That was followed by another thin OS wad and rammed home. Btw, the gun has a 36" bbl. and was made by Green River Forge and has no rear sight. Usually I'd use a smaller RB with a patch, but I thought I'd give the bare ball + thin patches another try, but as you can see from my target, it wasn't my brightest idea! It was fun though!

Attachments

• IMG_6424.jpeg
    IMG_6424.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 69
Got out to the range today with my Hawken .45 percussion rifle. I installed a set of peep sights I had laying around. My first couple of shots hit the rings, but then the rear aperture got too dark too see. Might have been cloud cover or who knows what but I couldn't hit the side of a barn after that. So my pistol target will have to do for this month. I will send it in.

Counting myself we had 6 participants in the July match. It looks like weather may have been a limiting factor for some but without further ado here are the results. Note that in the Rifle Class we had a 3 way tie for 3rd.

Rifle
1. Fly103- 35pts, Pedersoli Penn rifle
.490 ball, .010 patch, 60gr 2f
Goex, Mr flintlock Lube

2. BadDaditood- 15pts, .45 Kibler SMR
50gr 2f olde eynesford
.440 ball, .022 denim patch

3. Shooey- 10pts, .50 Lyman GPR
Peep sights, .490 ball
Blue ticking, crisco, 80gr 2f

3. MSmith- 10pts, TC Renegade .50
.495 cast ball, .45gr OE 3f
.015 with moose milk lube

3. Maven- 10pts, 20ga NW trade gun
.618 ball, 70gr 2f,
no rear sight

Pistol
1. 11th Corps- 25pts, TC patriot
.440 Ball, 30g 777, P.T. patch
Bore Butter

2. BadDaditood- 15pts, Uberti 58 Rem
Brass frame, .454 ball.15gr 3f goex 15gr cream of wheat, RWS Caps

Great shooting everyone, thanks for participating. I am really enjoying hosting these monthly matches!

Chris

Latest posts

Back