• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

July 2020 Postal Match - Bear Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This month I would like to have you shoot two targets. One at 25 yards and the second at 20 yards. Grab your targets by clicking the link below and write your forum screen name and distance 20 and 25 yards, on the front of your targets as soon as you print them!

July 2020 5 Bear Target

Fire 5 shots at each target.
The shooting distance for this contest is 20 and 25 yards.
No do-over’s.
Only registered forum members may participate.

Only traditional, open iron sighted muzzle loading firearms; peeps are allowed under the condition you mark your target so I know you used a peep. (Tracking it) NO Cannons. Percussion, flintlock or matchlock ignition only. Cap and Ball revolvers are OK.

Single patched round ball only. No restrictions on caliber. (a patchless ball may be used if so desired)

Shots shall be taken off-hand at the stated distance. Standing or seated is allowed, elbows unsupported by anything other than the shooters torso. In the event that a member is not physically able to hold his rifle up unsupported, a "prop-rod" that is supported only by the shooters torso, no part of which prop-rod may touch the ground, may be used to hold up the fore-end of the rifle.

Only original targets will be accepted. No copies, faxes, scan, etc.

*New Rule!!*
Overseas participants may scan and e-mail me. Just send me a PM through the forum and attache it or I'll give you my e-mail address. As long as I can CLEARLY make the target out I'll accept it.** (I recommend using a dark backing paper when you scan / copy it if possible so that the holes show clearly)

Scoring will be as follows:

Target scoring rings as identified on the target. Targets will be scored individually and then combined for overall score.

How close is close enough? Over half the ball must penetrate inside the scoring ring to be counted at the highest value. In other words, the ring in which the majority of the ball hits the target will be the score value. The center of the shot placement on the target will be determined by the judge. Judges decisions are final.

Fire 5 shots only, at each target – 10 total, misses count! Mutilated targets or targets with more than 5 holes will be disqualified. If you have any questions, suggestions or concerns please don't hesitate to contact me.

Mail your target, postmarked no later than June 30th, to:
Marc Smith
1900 Parkway Drive
Casper, WY 82609
Attn: June Target

If you don’t mind sharing I would also like to know what you’re shooting. Include type of firearm, caliber, ball diameter, patch thickness, lube, powder type and grains used, barrel length and twist rate. This isn’t required I’m just the curious sort.

Thanks for shooting and Godspeed ladies & gentleman!!
MSmith

This month I would like to have you shoot two targets. One at 25 yards and the second at 20 yards. Grab your targets by clicking the link below and write your forum screen name and distance 20 and 25 yards, on the front of your targets as soon as you print them!

July 2020 5 Bear Target

Fire 5 shots at each target.
The shooting distance for this contest is 20 and 25 yards.
No do-over’s.
Only registered forum members may participate.

Only traditional, open iron sighted muzzle loading firearms; peeps are allowed under the condition you mark your target so I know you used a peep. (Tracking it) NO Cannons. Percussion, flintlock or matchlock ignition only. Cap and Ball revolvers are OK.

Single patched round ball only. No restrictions on caliber. (a patchless ball may be used if so desired)

Shots shall be taken off-hand at the stated distance. Standing or seated is allowed, elbows unsupported by anything other than the shooters torso. In the event that a member is not physically able to hold his rifle up unsupported, a "prop-rod" that is supported only by the shooters torso, no part of which prop-rod may touch the ground, may be used to hold up the fore-end of the rifle.

Only original targets will be accepted. No copies, faxes, scan, etc.

*New Rule!!*
Overseas participants may scan and e-mail me. Just send me a PM through the forum and attache it or I'll give you my e-mail address. As long as I can CLEARLY make the target out I'll accept it.** (I recommend using a dark backing paper when you scan / copy it if possible so that the holes show clearly)

Scoring will be as follows:

Target scoring rings as identified on the target. Targets will be scored individually and then combined for overall score.

How close is close enough? Over half the ball must penetrate inside the scoring ring to be counted at the highest value. In other words, the ring in which the majority of the ball hits the target will be the score value. The center of the shot placement on the target will be determined by the judge. Judges decisions are final.

Fire 5 shots only, at each target – 10 total, misses count! Mutilated targets or targets with more than 5 holes will be disqualified. If you have any questions, suggestions or concerns please don't hesitate to contact me.

Mail your target, postmarked no later than June 30th, to:
Marc Smith
1900 Parkway Drive
Casper, WY 82609
Attn: June Target

If you don’t mind sharing I would also like to know what you’re shooting. Include type of firearm, caliber, ball diameter, patch thickness, lube, powder type and grains used, barrel length and twist rate. This isn’t required I’m just the curious sort.

Thanks for shooting and Godspeed ladies & gentleman!!
MSmith

A few minor errors are in the original post at the start of this thread.

"July 2020 5 Bear Target" should have read, "July 2020 Bear Target".

"Mail your target, postmarked no later than June 30th, to: " should have read, "Mail your target, postmarked no later than July 30th, to: "

In Marks address,

"Casper, WY 82609
Attn: June Target "

should have read

"Casper, WY 82609
Attn: July Target "

HMMMMMM.......
When I print this at original size it will not fit on a standard sheet of paper (letter).
What size paper should this be printed on and at what scale?
The PDF page size is 17" x 22". At that actual physical scale the 10 spot is .91" and the #9 ring is 2.455"
1593731160704.png

Last edited:
I can and have printed it at true scale and at a reduced scale to fit letter size paper.
HOWEVER -
at the correct scale only half the target prints - the bull is .91" - pretty easy to get a .54 round into.
at the "fit to page scale" or 50% of 17x22 (which is a 8.5 x 11 page) the bull is .445 or smaller than a .54 round.
Two .54 rounds with touching edges in the 10 on the true scale will both be 10 points, the same two rounds on the half scal will have the major diameter in the 9 zone and will be counted 2 points less because the major diameter will be outside the 10 spot.
This will obviously create a major issue with scoring the target.
My question is "Which scale should we print it at?" so that everyone that shoots the match will be judged the same.

20200703_184024.jpg
20200703_185246.jpg

Last edited:
My question is "Which scale should we print it at?" so that everyone that shoots the match will be judged the same.

Targets are to be printed on a standard 8-1/2" x 11" sheet of paper. Generally speaking computers will "automatically" size the targets to print on 8-1/2" x 11" paper. If not, check your printer setting and set the monthly target to "fit to page" and check either portrait or landscape, which ever is appropriate for the given target.

We are a bit limited on targets because of the size restriction. Technology is great but far from perfect. I'm sorry for the confusion.

Thanks,
Marc

I shot my targets today but had to shoot both at 25 yds. because it was during our monthly shoot and there was no provision for 20 yds. So one of the bears got a bit of a break. They'll be in the mail tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back