• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Jukar Handgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got a Jukar handgun for Christmas. I do not know the caliber. I would like to know the year of mfg. The only information is on the left side of the barrel. It says; "JUKAR 0001215 SPAIN". No other marks are visible. If there is any other information it is under the wood. Can anyone help me find the date of mfg? Can anyone tell me how to determine the caliber?

Also, where can I get a correct ram rod? It is missing on this gun.

Thanks for any help.
Mule

I got a Jukar handgun for Christmas. I do not know the caliber. I would like to know the year of mfg. The only information is on the left side of the barrel. It says; "JUKAR 0001215 SPAIN". No other marks are visible. If there is any other information it is under the wood. Can anyone help me find the date of mfg? Can anyone tell me how to determine the caliber?

Also, where can I get a correct ram rod? It is missing on this gun.

Thanks for any help.
Mule
If I remember correctly unfortunately JUKAR did not stamp date codes on their reproductions but I can say (considering the low numbered serial number) it's most likely an early 1970s vintage. I think they made all of theirs in .45 caliber but it would be best to check it with a caliper to be sure.

I have taken pictures but all of a sudden my card reader will not work. I'll have to wait till I get another reader to be able to put them on my computer. Then I can post pictures here.
Just so y'all will know I can take pictures with my phone but it does not have internet capabilities on it since that would cost more money.

20200815_104543.jpg

These pictures are from the internet but they look just like mine, except mine is darker.

Attachments

• Looks Just Like Mine 2.jpg
    Looks Just Like Mine 2.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 115
  • Looks Just Like Mine 1.jpg
    Looks Just Like Mine 1.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 128
Does it not have PROOFMARKS on the barrel? (Sometimes underneath).

I have not disassembled it, but there are no proof marks visible.
To disassemble it, it looks like I'll have to drive a small pin out. I don't really like doing that. With my luck I'll end up damaging the wood.
But, I do have that desire to know if.

Mule

I have not disassembled it, but there are no proof marks visible.
To disassemble it, it looks like I'll have to drive a small pin out. I don't really like doing that. With my luck I'll end up damaging the wood.
But, I do have that desire to know if.

Mule
If you don’t feel comfortable disassembling it then don’t. You’ll probably not find any other proof marks that’ll give you more information than what’s already been stated here in this thread. They were made in the 1960s-1970s-ish, imported by the truckloads, and have very little to no collector value. Yes it’s probably a 45 but the bore will need to be measured to verify that. You can find a hickory rod blank at Track of the wolf or October Country. Buy a 10-32 brass tip and a cleaning loading jag. Cut the rod to length and glue/pin on the tip.

Go down to the hardware store and buy a 'pin punch' that is slightly smaller than your pin. Carefully tap the pin with the punch from the starboard side, that is the right side holding the pistol in your hand pointing the muzzle away from you. It will push the pin out on the left side where you can grab it with pliers and remove it, then remove the Tang screw and maybe a lock screw and lift out the barrel. Now your pistol may have an undersized ramrod hole made for a steel rod. You can find one at Deer Creek. Don't get stupid overloading it. About 30 gr FFFg black powder is a powerful load under one patched ball. Never use smokeless of any kind. I packed a .45 cal. CVA Kentucky pistol for years in the woods and baygalls. Good luck and good shooting!

I have one just like it. I would be amazed if yours is not a 45. Any more than 20 grains of powder with that short barrel is just wasting powder but it should shoot fine. I had a ramrod but lost it somehow - it was about a 1/4 inch (as I recall) steel rod so I made a new one from a piece of hardware store rod.

I will measure my ramrod when I get home, probably a week from now. I'll let you know the diameter if no one else has reported. In the mean time, if you want to shoot it, anything that will fit down the bore will work for loading. Like the top section of a 3 piece shotgun cleaning rod - the end with the handle.

I went ahead and disassembled it.
To see the below names and numbers the gun has to be completely disassembled.

147 on bottom of trigger guard
82 on bottom of barrel tang
82 hand written on front end of stock in barrel bed
SPAIN on back side of lock plate at bottom, below main spring
82 on trigger frame
82 on side of trigger

I don't think it has ever been fired.
I did go ahead and clean and lube it even though there was no rust. There was plenty of dust. I used bore butter to lube all metal parts, inside and out, then wiped it very good inside and out.

With my lil ole cheap caliper the bore measured a very close 7/16. 7/16 = .4375. So I'd say y'all are correct in saying it is .45 cal. I have some .440 balls.

What holds the ram rod in?

I did not smear Bore Butter on the inside of the lock plate. I used SS2 All Purpose Gun Lubricant. I bought this, no longer available gun oil, at an estate sale. I don't know how long I've had it. I thought I had some Ballistol, but I guess not. Is the oil I used acceptable for black powder guns?

Latest posts

Back