• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jukar .45

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Start with a bottle of Dawn. Pyrodex is a great propellant but MUST be completely clean after firing (SAME day). Can you say "corrosive"?

Loading I would start at 45 gr and go up 5 at a time till you get the best group and then start experimenting with patch thickness. Next start experimenting with lubes. I am assuming you can only get yer hands on Pyrodex, if Triple 7 is available try it as well. And of course we all (most all)would advise real black powder over any substitute.

Range reports?

Start with a bottle of Dawn. Pyrodex is a great propellant but MUST be completely clean after firing (SAME day). Can you say "corrosive"?

Loading I would start at 45 gr and go up 5 at a time till you get the best group and then start experimenting with patch thickness. Next start experimenting with lubes. I am assuming you can only get yer hands on Pyrodex, if Triple 7 is available try it as well. And of course we all (most all)would advise real black powder over any substitute.

Range reports?
target looks like a shotgun pattern. Shooting 50-55 gr. pyrodex. 50 yards. When I tried sabots they went through sideways. Patches were torn to pieces when shooting patch & ball. Shooting a .440 ball and .015 patch.

I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say you probably have a barrel that's severely pitted from Pyrodex. That don't make any sense at all. Should group no bigger than 6-8 inches no matter what yer loading Unless the patches are shredded which happens when a barrel becomes a tomato stake from non or poor cleaning.

I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say you probably have a barrel that's severely pitted from Pyrodex. That don't make any sense at all. Should group no bigger than 6-8 inches no matter what yer loading Unless the patches are shredded which happens when a barrel becomes a tomato stake from non or poor cleaning.
Barrel looks good and clean. Patch and ball goes down bore smooth and easy. No rust at all.

Tried a .018 and it wouldn't go. Next time out I will drop to 40gr. I have been told to pour more powder to it because it's not stabilizing the ball. I have also been told I'm using too much powder because it's shredding the patch. Somehow or another I am going to make this gun work.

Are you using factory made "pre-lubricated" patches you bought at a store?

I ask because I've seen that kind of patch totally shred into fragments when they are shot. The reason is, the oils used start to break down the cotton fibers and if the patches have been sitting on a shelf in some store for months on end, they will have lost all of their strength.
Same goes for any home lubed patches that have been sitting around for months (or years).

Your patches should be made from a tight weave, pure cotton or linen material. No synthetic cloth will work because it can't take the heat from the burning powder.

Some folks also try to use an old T-shirt for their patches and those don't work either. They are too thin, they have too loose of a weave and they have no real strength.

I suspect that when you find a good tight fitting, strong cotton patch material, most of your accuracy problems will be gone.

Yes, they are pre-lubed patches. I have some pillow ticking that I haven't tried yet. Will try that as soon as the range dries out.
That's your problem.

Shoot 55 -60 grains By volume of Pyrodex P use spit lube and a 10-15 thousands patch.
It should group nicely.

Store bought pre-lubed patches are junk 9 times out of 10

Store bought unlubed patches like T/C brand are ok.

Pillow ticking is good too.

Use a .440 round ball. in a jukar.

I have recently purchased one of these Jukar rifles in .45 cal. and was wondering where to start with the loads. I will be shooting a .440 ball with patch. If you could advise me where to start it would be greatly appreciated. I will be using Pyrodex powder.
The last one I sighted in I started at 50 grains which shot a ragged hole for five shots. You could drop down slightly from there for target or small game work or go up to around 65 or 70 grains for a deer load. If it has not been sighted in before it will probably shoot low in relation to your point of aim; find the load you like before filing the sights for adjustment.

I have recently purchased one of these Jukar rifles in .45 cal. and was wondering where to start with the loads. I will be shooting a .440 ball with patch. If you could advise me where to start it would be greatly appreciated. I will be using Pyrodex powder.
Sorry, I’m late to the party. Mine really likes 80 grains of 3f, .440 ball, .018 patch, lubed with TOW mink oil. I’ve never used pyrodex or 777 so I can’t help you there. You’ve had lots of good advice from the others so I’ll shut up now.

Maybe a little more. Remington #11 caps. I wipe between shots, just a slightly damp patch. The load is a little hard to start, but once it’s started it goes down just fine. It takes some oomph, but I don’t have to stand on my toes.

Maybe a little more. Remington #11 caps. I wipe between shots, just a slightly damp patch. The load is a little hard to start, but once it’s started it goes down just fine. It takes some oomph, but I don’t have to stand on my toes.
Using Remington #11 caps. Thanks for the advice. Will try every bit of advice I get until this rifle does its job.

Just returned from the range and will no longer be planning to use this rifle for a fence post. Started at 50 yds with 40 gr and took 3 shots. About a 3 1/2" group at 4" low and 2" left. Went to 45 gr and got a 2 1/2" group about 3" low. Went to 50 gr and got a 2" group 1 1/2" low. All of these were 2" left of center. Went to 60 gr and moved rear sight. Got 2 shots that were touching 1 1/2" low and centered. Ran out of powder. I think I found what the rifle likes. Was using .015 pillow tick for patch and when I found the patches they were in good shape and still had the original color pattern. Think I'll keep it.

Thank to everyone for the advice. Worked well and probably saved the rifle.

Latest posts

Back