• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

jug choking

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dick rankin

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Anybody out there had your gun choked and seen any negative effects on roundball accuracy? Anybody that had their gun jug choked and NOT notice any tightening in the pattern with shot?

I'd suggest you do a search here, there has been a lot written on the subject. I really don't know about accuracy with ball since I prefer rifles for single ball but if you don't find a very greatly improved pattern with shot then something is very badly wrong.

I have no doubt a negative result can happen but would put it down to not finding the load for the barrel once jugged than just blame the choking.

I have some cartridges now that no matter what gun or choke I send them through they give blotchy patterns.

At the end of the day the barrel is not relieved that much, there is not any room for balls to start bouncing around in there.

I remember ringing a 22 barrel by accident :shake: and the thing shot tighter groups after!

Brits.

Sorry Wayne, I was goofing around with some cheap shorts in a Rem slide action 22 shooting off the hip like you do when you are young!
One failed to clear the barrel but what with rattling them off I sent another on the blockage and it bulged/ringed the barrel. I had just read an article in guns and ammo about a target shooter getting the same problem and he noted it (his gun) shot better after. So I retrieved some of my targets from testing ammo and shot the different brands again. Sure enough it shot tighter groups, not by much mind! It was not ruined as I first feared.

Brits.

It's also called "recess choking" where a recess is cut into the bore just behind the muzzle. This allows the shot column to expand in the recess and then be choked back down to bore size. It's a method of getting the choke effect in barrels not originally choke bored or increasing the degree of choke in a lightly choked barrel. For muzzleloaders it offers the advantage of not having to ram the wads or patched balls past a constricted muzzle.
Again I would suggest you do a search here as there is a lot more discussion on this site in the past.

Joe,
We spoke some time back about doing my SXS but it turned out to be chrome lined. I just finished what I hope to use for trap this summer. I have yet to pattern it but wondered, If it needs help can you choke a "ribbed" barrel?
Mark

I work with hand tools inside the bore only, the barrel is not chucked in a lathe so sights, ribs, underlugs, etc are no problem, neither are side by sides.

probably, my dad's a machinist, i grew up around the stuff. how do you make the critical angles?

With CJ's input I made one of these and it worked a treat :thumbsup:

monk003.jpg

Brits.

Back