• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jug choke ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mic the inside of the bore starting just inside the bore and keep checking down the bore in small increases to see if it opens up and then goes back to the bore size near the muzzle. If you can get a finger inside the bore ( if you do that sort of thing) you can probably feel the relief.

I have no way to mic to far down. I've just got a cheap harbour freight calipers. Sorry I'm not very up on machinist stuff.lol
You think if you put a ball puller on the rod and screwed into a felt wad you could slowly push it down the barrel and maybe feel a slack in the pressure when you get to the choke. Ok you can laugh now.lol

How far down is a jug choke,,, how long is the choke
Cant answer that one, standard chokes are around 3", pour a little powder down the barrel, and install a felt wad, if it is tight at the opening then loosens up farther down its choked, if its the same all the way its not, then just shoot the wad out

I have no way to mic to far down. I've just got a cheap harbour freight calipers. Sorry I'm not very up on machinist stuff.lol
You think if you put a ball puller on the rod and screwed into a felt wad you could slowly push it down the barrel and maybe feel a slack in the pressure when you get to the choke. Ok you can laugh now.lol
I'm not about to laugh. I think it's a good idea. I do like the idea to put some powder down first to shoot the wad out if the puller comes out.

A jug is just a little behind the muzzle. If you can get a finger in there you should be able to feel relief no more than an an inch or two past the muzzle.

My little fingers are not little.

You should be able to see it with a bore light in the barrel.

Bend a 6” piece of wire to 90 degrees making the leg of the “L” of a length that will just slide in the muzzle. Slide it in. You’ll feel any change.

I had a jug choked barrel. It was visible when you look in the barrel. It began about an inch below the muzzle with the only perceptible difference being a slight machining in the metal finish, at about 3 1/2 inches below the muzzle the difference was much more perceptible in that I could see a relief in the barrel wall of the bore. I think it was relieved at .035, or .35 I am not sure but it was supposed to be equal to about a modified choke. Hope this helps.

I had a jug choked barrel. It was visible when you look in the barrel. It began about an inch below the muzzle with the only perceptible difference being a slight machining in the metal finish, at about 3 1/2 inches below the muzzle the difference was much more perceptible in that I could see a relief in the barrel wall of the bore. I think it was relieved at .035, or .35 I am not sure but it was supposed to be equal to about a modified choke. Hope this helps.

Yes thatt does help thankyou.

Last edited:
As I said if you can get a finger in there you can feel the relief an inch or so down.
1. That will only tell you that someone attempted to jug the bore.
2. If you mic the bore as I stated above that will tell you the intended degree of choking relative to the bore size.
3. Only at a pattern board can you tell what the jugging has actually done.

The late great Jack O'Conner said about modern shotgun choking... "I dont care if you can get a Brittany Spaniel down the barrel, if it shoots 70% of the pattern in a 30 inch circle at 40 yards its full choke!"
Same holds true on a jug. The proof is on the board.

Back