• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

JP Beck template

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rnagle

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello. Was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a JP BECK template. Im in the process of building a Beck rifle from a plank and am in need of a template to use to make sure I have the shape. Thank you so much for your time.

Track of the Wolf has full sized Beck plans, I used them for my first rifle.

Update, I checked and they don't have the plans in stock.

I checked everywhere and no one has them, if they were available these would be the best out there.

https://www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com/plans.html
I have a set from TOW, if I didn't give them away they are somewhere in the house but after an extensive search I can't find them.

Last edited:
Thank you guys so much for the information. I really appreciate it.

Another question, I apologize. This is my first build from a blank. I built a kibler colonial last year so this year I'm trying to build one from a plank. I have a 7/8 50 caliber straight barrel and a large Siler Lock. Do you guys feel this size barrel and lock jive with JP Becks guns? Everything I've seen and read says they are but I wanted to double check.

Ok thank you. I bought the straight barrel because I was going to inlet it by hand however I was afraid of screwing it up so I'm having a buddy of mine inlet it for me. I wanted to start with a straight for my first inlet.

Elliot's template is based on a swamped barrel. you will have to make some modifications to your wrist using a straight barrel--the wrist will likely be narrower as the taper on a swamped barrel kicks out the tail of the lock allowing more width in this area. If you are using a percussion lock, you can solder a piece of 1/16 thick metal on the lock bolster then file it in a taper so it will kick out the lock. Another trick is to slightly taper the off-side panel so it is not parallel with the barrel--narrower in the front than the back. This will also help give a little extra width.

In an estate lot that I purchased a while ago, I acquired a JP Beck gun in parts. Stock stripped of finish and broken, barrel, patch box and screws, broken trigger guard, etc. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

1649348927685.png

(R284) - HANDSOME CHRISTIAN BECK (SIGNED), LEBANON COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA, FULLSTOCK, RAISED CARVED, KENTUCKY RIFLE c. 1780’s – 1790’s. The exceptionally attractive and remarkably pronounced, tiger-striped grain, curly maple fullstock (with a wonderful patina) is in remarkable, exc+ condition showing just normal aging and lightest use; as fine condition for a Kentucky rifle as is ever to be encountered. Relief scroll carving on left side of butt; right side carved with large, relief shield-shaped panel on wrist behind the barrel tang and rear of lock. 40” octagon barrel with large, inscribed script markings on top of the well-known Lebanon, PA. gunsmith “C. BECK” (Although there were two Christian Becks, this is strongly believed, as per a detailed discussion in Kindig’s “Thoughts on the Kentucky Rifle” Page 251, to be “CHRISTIAN BECK, THE EARLIER”, the brother of J. P. Beck.). Caliber .40 with rifled bore. Classic Kentucky style mountings with distinctive, large, fancy edged, brass patchbox with its top section (i.e. the finial) in the outlined shape of the “whale’s tail” (typical of other Beck patchboxes); almost identical to that illustrated on page 252 of the Kindig book. Barrel and lock age brown, showing smooth aging and wear; rust blemishes typical; pitting very minor and will clean with a nice, even, age brown patina. Stock exc+ (as earlier mentioned); has two, about imperceptible, hair-line cracks at the extreme toe (bottom corner) of the butt with a very old wood screw repair on the underside of the toe. (All very minor and should not require any further work). Fancy designed, elaborately engraved 8 point silver star inlay on cheekrest; smaller oval silver inlay at wrist. This rifle was apparently converted to percussion (circa 1840’s) and has been remarkably restored to its original flintlock condition (approx. 50 years ago); workmanship exceptional; never previously encountered a restoration as expertly accomplished. The original lockplate was, of course, utilized; just the exterior parts (i.e. hammer, frizzen, springs and flashpan were taken from other locks and all were original antique parts properly aged and matching that of the lockplate and the rifle! Even the touch-hole has been so remarkably well-restored and aged to match that it defies the fact that it may have ever even been disturbed! Mechanically excellent (NOTE: it is possible that this may be the identical rifle that is illustrated in 3 views on page 180 of the widely referenced, “THE PENNSYLVANIA – KENTUCKY RIFLE” (1960) by H.J. Kaufman). A most handsome example of this famed, early American rifle...$3,750...SOLD

Important Relief Carved Pre-Revolutionary War Flintlock Kentucky | Lot #40022 | Heritage Auctions
1649349269966.png

1649349250892.png

1649349207631.png

1649349179800.png

1649349295896.png

1649349322600.png

1649349344568.png

1649349379256.png

1649349402470.png

Pictured in Rifles of Colonial America, Volume II by George Shumway and Kentucky Rifles & Pistols 1750-1850

Important Relief Carved Pre-Revolutionary War Flintlock Kentucky Rifle by John Philip Beck.

Just as Catalog #117 from Norm Flayderman states, Superb, Important and Rare 18th Century American Kentucky Rifle. Approximately .57 caliber, 47 1/4-inch octagonal to round barrel with straight rifling. Front sight inset on solid silver heart shaped plate. Overall length of the gun is 63 1/2-inches. Top of barrel signed J P BECK [faint]. Note: Unique single set trigger [push forward to set]. Early flat lock with vertical rear flutes. Classic 18th century type maple Fullstock with just slight tiger stripe grain. Relief carved scroll design, incised carvings on each side of comb and thimble. Light relief carving at tang. 8 pointed silver star inlay on cheekrest. Early form brass furniture typical of Beck's work according to Flayderman's catalog. Finials of t.g. & butt are in Fleur De Lis designs, Torch-like finial on sideplate. The four-piece brass patchbox is quite exceptional, fancy edge with finial, lid engraved with daisy motifs and script PJ. Flayderman's goes on to say, "A similar Beck rifle illus/discussed in LANCASTER HISTORICAL SOCIETY Journal (copy to purchaser). Beck's work is prominently mentioned in every important book about Kentucky rifles. Significant Americana."
Note: Research and accompanying documents state, this is the exact gun on pages 430-433 in Rifles of Colonial America. It is also the same gun on page 85 in Kentucky Rifles & Pistols 1750-1850. According to Rifles in Colonial America, John Philip Beck was born in 1751 and began his outstanding career as a gunsmith in 1772 or 1773. From 1777 until his death in 1811 he lived and worked in the town of Lebanon about 22 miles north of Lancaster. George Shumway also mentions this rifle here to be "one of earliest, if not the earliest, surviving examples of his work". Documents and paperwork included are; 1) Journal of the Lancaster County Historical Society [article on similar Beck]. 2) Antique Collecting Magazine from 1978 [article on similar Beck rifle]. 3) Photocopies of Rifles of Colonial America, Volume II by George Shumway and Kentucky Rifles & Pistols 1750-1850 [both have this actual gun pictured and written about]. 4) N. Flayderman & Co. Inc. Catalog No. 117, with actual gun for sale, lot 1887. 5) Cashiers check copy of previous owner for payment of JP Beck Flintlock to N. Flayderman & Co. on 11-9-1993 for $15,000 along with a order form. 6) Handwritten 2-page letter to Norm Flayderman discussing the Beck, appears to be from previous owner who either consigned or sold the gun to Flayderman, signed Steve. All in all, an incredible gun with great history and provenance. As Flayderman's catalog mentions, "a mkr commonly known as the REMBRANDT OF KENTUCKY RIFLEMAKERS"
Provenance:
Stephen D. Hench Collection.
Norm Flayderman Catalog No. 117.
Robert W. Gruebel Collection.
Private Collection.

Condition: Very good for its age. Metal very good, for its period with a dark and deep brown patina overall. Barrel cleaned to find signature at some point. Fair to moderate age wear and handling to wood. Flayderman mentions some "fine" professional restoration to FL [flintlock]. He also mentions "difficult to detect even for the discerning eye." He also mentions regarding the stock, "the deep pronounced stripings came later." Wood incised and carvings, worn smooth. with handling wear. JHB carved on stock. Has old repaired crack at wrist, Flayderman mentions "impossible to detect except on closest scrutiny". A few small repaired pieces on forestock. Toeplate expertly restored. Marred screws. Overall gun is in very good to fine condition for its age and use. Brass furniture with handling wear, fine scratches and some bumps/mars. In general, the overall bumps and mars throughout do not detract from this historical artifact. Hammer does not stay cocked. Bore is good.

1649349417865.png

Thank you guys so much for all your help and pictures. That helps greatly. I really appreciate it

Back