Josiah Sirmans, my first attempt at my persona

Discussion in 'Share Your Persona' started by Tennessee.45, Apr 27, 2017.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. May 4, 2017 #21

SgtErv

SgtErv

SgtErv

50 Cal.

54Ball - That's a crazily interesting background, I must say. It's perfect for a Militia officer, too. Probably fits the ticket to a tee.

With my military background, I found that I don't think like a militiaman; way too much "military bearing" for a strictly militia persona, so the fluidity between regulars and militia throughout the AWI serves me well.

Lots of different directions to go on a persona. I saw some fascinating ones at Fort Frederick, many of which were more city oriented:

-An 18th century Grocer
    -A company clerk
    - A gentleman fallen to disgrace and poverty
    - A vagabond
    - common border ruffians (that was us, the Augusta County Militia :haha: )
    - deserters
    - market hunters
    - Woodworker
    - cooper
    - tailor
    - tanner
    - tinsmith who specializes in lanterns

Etc

Soooo many ways to go, even hodgepodge is great. It is ALL equally interesting in my opinion. I was fascinated by the grocer, for instance

Oh, and Tennessee45, you can probably tell that we love discussing this stuff haha

2. May 4, 2017 #22

Tennessee.45

Tennessee.45

Tennessee.45

40 Cal.

That I can tell, but I enjoy it as well. I like the idea of a farmer's son turned scout

3. May 4, 2017 #23

Tennessee.45

Tennessee.45

Tennessee.45

40 Cal.

Born in 1736, being the middle son I was trained in my fathers trade of iron work, being adventurous I preferred searching for the red rock. As I approach my 20's I journey searching for iron and fast moving streams, while engaging in the fur trade.

With my experience in the wilderness I find myself as a scout for the Virginia Militia during Braddock's expedition, I met up with a wagoneer who happened to be a childhood friend.

After the dunquese campaign we make our way south as the war moved north,

Here's what I have so far with y'alls help, not sure where to go from here, would like to be around the holston and then maybe head west with Elisha Walden? As he made several long hunts in my neck of the woods

4. May 5, 2017 #24

Artificer

Artificer

Artificer

Cannon MLF Supporter

I tried to find an area in the Shenandoah Valley where your Father might have been an Iron Master, but found none early enough. This was a term for a plantation owner whose plantation was set up to mine ore and turn it into Raw Pig Iron. Unfortunately, production at the earliest sites of Mossy Creek and Zane’s Furnace did not begin until the 1760’s.

Here are some other links you may be interested in and prove useful for background on your early years.

The following link shows Iron Ore sources and this may prove helpful.
    “Virginia Iron in the Colonial Era” http://www.virginiaplaces.org/geology/iron.html?&$NMW_TRANS$=ext

The following link goes into some detail on how they looked for Iron Ore.
    “The Early Iron Industry In the Shenandoah Valley,” http://www.angelfire.com/va3/valleywar/commerce/iron_industry.html

Here’s a good overall link on the Iron/Steel produced and uses
    “Iron and Steel in Colonial America” http://flintriflesmith.com/WritingandResearch/WebArticles/ironandsteel.htm

Gus

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2018
  5. May 7, 2017 #25

Artificer

Artificer

Artificer

Cannon MLF Supporter

Chances are having been born in 1736 in Spotsylvania County, you father may have been in the business of finding Iron Ore deposits and setting up Bloomery Furnaces. His experience would give you training on how to look for Iron deposits and then process it into Raw Pig Iron. The problem with this scenario is that though you may have procured a rifle from the next door County of Orange and grew up hunting with a rifle, this area was not real “wilderness” during the period you would have grown up.

However, if your Father was somewhere in the Shenandoah Valley while you grew up and again in the business of looking for Iron Ore and setting up Bloomery Furnaces and having a farm in the area, it was much more likely you would have had a rifle from a number of Rifle makers in the Valley and much more likely you could have hunted/trapped in wilderness areas. Now, IF you chose the area of Winchester, VA as your home/birthplace, then that would lead to some interesting possibilities. You could have known Dan Morgan who was also born in 1736 and was in the Winchester area at that time.

Morgan had served as a civilian teamster with the Braddock expedition, along with his cousin Daniel Boone, who was two years older than both Morgan and your persona at that time. So instead portraying someone who was really a little too young to be a wilderness Scout, you could portray a Teamster with the Braddock Expedition who grew up with a lot of hunting experience. IMO, that would be a far more likely/believable reason for you to be with Braddock’s expedition at the age of your persona.

I don’t know if you missed the importance of the “Virginia Iron in the Colonial Virginia” link to your persona? It shows Iron ore deposits that go South from Virginia into Western North Carolina and Tennessee. You could have followed the “trail” of Iron Ore while you hunted/trapped AND it gives a reason you could have come into contact with your wife from North Carolina. http://www.virginiaplaces.org/geology/iron.html?&$NMW_TRANS$=ext

Now as to the Holston Area, if you followed the Iron Ore deposits as already mentioned while hunting/trapping, you could easily have gone through the Holston Area. Below is a link to the map of the area AND VERY importantly, there is small Virginia map showing the where the Holston Area is. It would have been “on your way” South as you hunted/trapped and followed looking for locations of Iron Ore. http://www.appalachianhistory.net/montanip/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Holston-River-map-500x491.png

Gus

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2018
  6. May 7, 2017 #26

Artificer

Artificer

Artificer

Cannon MLF Supporter

Well, come to think of it, you could still have been born in Spotsylvania, but if your Father moved the family to the Winchester area to look for new Iron deposits ( when you were young and as you grew up) that could still put you in the right place at the right time for your persona.

Gus