Joshua Foster...Ozark Adventurer

Discussion in 'Share Your Persona' started by Jfoster, May 8, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. May 8, 2019 #1

Jfoster

Jfoster

Jfoster

36 Cal.

My family hails from Ireland/Wales. My father indentured himself to pay for passage to the colonies. This is where he worked for a land owner as a farmer and sustenance hunter. Years after arriving he met my mother. Shortly there after he worked off his agreed time and proceeded to move to Virginia to start a wife with my Mother and older brother.

I came to this world in the year 1777. By the age of 6 the war for Independence had finally ended. My father and older brother fought bravely for the local militia. My father had grown tired of Virginia and was determined to move our family westward toward a new adventure and a new life.

We settled in Tennessee where together my family worked tirelessly to develop our little homestead. Through many hard winters, attacks from natives, and just the land in general I grew to be a strong willed, quiet, and somewhat feared loaner. Choosing to embed myself in the land and wilderness around me instead of the homestead. Here i worked as a meat and market hunter for the nearby trading post. My love for the woods and adventurous spirit caused me to sometimes take part in long hunts toward the even further west. Selling the hides and saving the money upon my return.

By the year 1806 my reputation for knowing the land westward along with my keen hunting and foraging skills had grown. While no history books will know of me, the men around me were quick to suggest me as a guide for those willing and wanting to travel further westward in search of more land and opportunity. Having grown tired of the familiar grass beneath my feet that is what i did. From the year 1806 to the year 1818 i guided and hunted to provide meat for the families traveling from TN into the Ozark region. It was on one of those guides that i met my wife. She was a spit fire of German decent with enough sand to scare away any hostiles be it white man or savage. I married at the age of 30 and we quickly erected a cabin and began forming our homestead near that of her family. With the help of my saved funds and a small dowry of supplies and home goods from her family we began our own family. Situated on a creek that flowed the majority of the year with good farm land and plenty of game.

Unable to quell my restless spirit completely i continued to guide families for another 5 years. It was in the year 1818 at the age of 35 i finally settled with my family. Content with the past adventures in my younger life and the wisdom i have to share with my two boys and girl i look forward to living the rest of my life in the hilly area of the Ozark’s we call home; later to be founded as Arkansas.

2. May 12, 2019 #2

Zonie

Zonie

Zonie

Moderator Staff Member MLF Supporter

If you were born in 1777, you would be 41 in the year 1818.
    If you want to be 35, it would have been 1812.

(Engineers can be so picky. :) )

3. May 13, 2019 #3

Jfoster

Jfoster

Jfoster

36 Cal.

Ah. My mistake. Thank you.

4. May 14, 2019 #4

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

Your life not much removed from this fammily that settled the Petit a little later .Jean FE1A5BDD-49B3-4CC1-AB31-1D8317076E79.jpeg 3177FC26-3DAC-42BB-8019-1FCBB536F3A3.jpeg 31E736F1-B394-4F75-8C24-BCE11A8EFA59.jpeg

5. May 14, 2019 #5

Jfoster

Jfoster

Jfoster

36 Cal.

I have been there.

tenngun likes this.