Joseph Plum Martin

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Reaction score
Hello all! For anyone interested I just read a collection of Joseph Plum Martin’s memoirs of his time as a soldier in Washington’s army. Amazing to see the perspective of a soldier who started the war as a 15 year old. He is from a few towns over from me so I was especially interested, but id recommend it to anyone wanting an excellent window into every day experiences of a soldier throughout the war years.

Reaction score
Hello all! For anyone interested I just read a collection of Joseph Plum Martin’s memoirs of his time as a soldier in Washington’s army. Amazing to see the perspective of a soldier who started the war as a 15 year old. He is from a few towns over from me so I was especially interested, but id recommend it to anyone wanting an excellent window into every day experiences of a soldier throughout the war years.
I'm familiar with him.

Reaction score
I knew nothing other than being familiar with the name! It was very cool to hear him moving with the Continental Army through my part of Connecticut. I discovered many little local skirmishes I was unaware of, and learned of several towns with which I am very familiar being burned to ashes by the British forces. An awesome read!

JB67

45 Cal.
Reaction score
He fought in areas I'm well familiar with, being born & raised in the Hudson Valley. His story is indeed very informative.

I now live in Maine, and he's buried about 90 minutes from me.

Brokennock

75 Cal.
Reaction score
Very good suggestion. I've read the book a couple times and picked up something new upon rereading it.

It does seen to add meaning for us that there is a local connection. However, regardless of where one lives or was brought up, this book is an excellent look into the daily life of your average Revolutionary War soldier. Not just glory and grand movements and battles, not just this army and that General, but a glimpse of what that life might have been like for many of us who read it.

Youngblood

40 Cal
Reaction score
I screwed up a few years ago and bought a book on him but it turned out to be a childrens book ugg. I still read it but i need the adult version. I had my kids read it though.

Reaction score
I've listened to the audio version while I'm working in my shop. He admits to not having any formal training in English writing but his parents were educated and he obviously had some pretty good homeschooling to be able to write a narrative as he did.

Reaction score
Recommended reading , most amazing thing to me , was , many times marching in rain all day or night , and sleeping out in the open , or under a tree. Good to see what it was like to be a soldier in the Rev. War days.
Amazing what those guys went through. Martin states more than once going 48 hours or more with hardly a single bite of food, and often none. This while marching/fighting simultaneously. Incredible.

Reaction score
Alternative name. Was looking for something to eat, and fought a war along the way. In a lot of ways reminded me of my dads stories from WW2
A great way to sum it up! Constant hunger and misery. I am so excited to see that so many of you are very familiar with him and his story! He was a recent discovery for me. I knew his name and nothing more.