• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Joseph Egg 20 guage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loja man

50 Cal.
Reaction score
What can you all tell me about this one? Posible value?
AAC99F8B-AE30-45D0-9937-AF81AB4CF03D.jpeg
57E60F94-C54F-47BC-8BBC-48CF291C1CCB.jpeg
DC131D16-B238-4793-B2A7-A1E98CAA609F.jpeg

My older brothers wanted me to keep an eye out for an original side-by-side. Just wondering if the price seems right? Also possible timeframe

It's a good-looking gun probably mid 19th century and most likely English made but I'm not sure I'd have to see the proof marks. If I'm reading the tag correctly I would not pay that price personally.
I've bought SxSs just as nice recently at less than half that price.

Guns like this in shooting shape with good bores and everything tight and solid can run $400 to $500. Considering what parts cost that’s a bargain. Folks will try to get $800 but it would have to dig like a glove and be ready to shoot.

Guns like this in shooting shape with good bores and everything tight and solid can run $400 to $500. Considering what parts cost that’s a bargain. Folks will try to get $800 but it would have to dig like a glove and be ready to shoot.
Looks like the tag says $1,695?

Price is going to be dependent on quite a few different things. If I am looking at this to buy, there are some of the things that will drive the price and my willingness to purchase it and for what price.

1. Bore condition to me is very important. I buys guns to use them.
2. Cracks in the wood?
3. Pull the locks and see what quality they are and if they are marked with a high end maker. Look for cracks in the wood under the locks.
4. Bore size. A 20 is not that common in an old shotgun like this.
5. Locks, do they work and do the hammers match.
6. Nipples. Do they look frozen in place or do you think they will come out easily

If the shotgun has a very good bore and all of the above checks out, I dont know that the price is out of line.

You will have a very hard time finding a good shootable original shotgun for less then $800.

If it is what you are looking for go for it. Dont worry if you might of paid a few dollars more you should. If you like it, can afford it and the price does not bother you, take it home.

Fleener

Price is going to be dependent on quite a few different things. If I am looking at this to buy, there are some of the things that will drive the price and my willingness to purchase it and for what price.

1. Bore condition to me is very important. I buys guns to use them.
2. Cracks in the wood?
3. Pull the locks and see what quality they are and if they are marked with a high end maker. Look for cracks in the wood under the locks.
4. Bore size. A 20 is not that common in an old shotgun like this.
5. Locks, do they work and do the hammers match.
6. Nipples. Do they look frozen in place or do you think they will come out easily

If the shotgun has a very good bore and all of the above checks out, I dont know that the price is out of line.

You will have a very hard time finding a good shootable original shotgun for less then $800.

If it is what you are looking for go for it. Dont worry if you might of paid a few dollars more you should. If you like it, can afford it and the price does not bother you, take it home.

Fleener
Good run down on what to look for!! I would like to shoot it at some point but mostly I am just trying to help my brother run down a historic pice. He has the money, wants a original and it will go in his “man cave”. Obviously he wants a nice piece in good shape. It gives me a “good” reason to be looking at old guns! ;-)

Last edited:
I will! I may be going back out today for a second look at it. The owner sounded like he was a little flexible on price so we will see. If anyone else has any more information related to egg it would help!
Thanks guys

Most importantly, if you intend to shoot a second hand or antique double barrel shotgun you should ring the barrels , Take the barrels out of the stock , hang them off a finger and gently tap the barrels with a piece of wood , something like a screwdriver handle will do or even flick them with your finger, The barrels should ring like a tubular bell , listen carefully , if there is a dull clunk sound the barrels may have come separated in the middle and are separating , if there is a buzzing sound there is rust between the barrels .
J Egg was a great maker , he developed a lock with and external mainspring , made Baker rifles , Made rifles for the British to trade with the Canadian Indians .

Latest posts

Back